Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

bradford , Vermont
1962 Bambi Axle Repair Question

I have removed the old axle from my Bambi. Because the mounting plate was welded to the axle first along the inside edge and then welded to the frame, I could not remove the axle without removing the mounting plate from the frame. I ground off the welds with a grinder. Of course it took me a lot of grinding to discover this "hidden weld". My question is, can I have the mounting plate welded to the axle and then BOLT the mounting plate through the frame? This would involve drilling holes through the U-frame. There is not much left of the belly pan in this area so access is not a problem. Could it be bolted on until I can get it to a shop to do the welds?

Thanks for you advice
jeffsmattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsmattson View Post
I have removed the old axle from my Bambi. Because the mounting plate was welded to the axle first along the inside edge and then welded to the frame, I could not remove the axle without removing the mounting plate from the frame. I ground off the welds with a grinder. Of course it took me a lot of grinding to discover this "hidden weld". My question is, can I have the mounting plate welded to the axle and then BOLT the mounting plate through the frame? This would involve drilling holes through the U-frame. There is not much left of the belly pan in this area so access is not a problem. Could it be bolted on until I can get it to a shop to do the welds?

Thanks for you advice
You can simply align the axle with respect to the frame, on the trailer, so that it tows correctly, and then weld it in place.

There is no need to drill extra holes or add any brackets.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

bradford , Vermont
Ok. So the mounting bracket that comes with the new axle will be shaped like an L so the frame will sit in the "chair" of the L.

The old bracket was in the shape of an upside down reversed L. (if that makes any sense to you)

If the new axle is the same as the old one, the frame will sit on top of the short part of the L. Leaving very little to weld.

I am sure that you have all this figuered out. I just want to know what I need to have here to get the job done.
jeffsmattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsmattson View Post
Ok. So the mounting bracket that comes with the new axle will be shaped like an L so the frame will sit in the "chair" of the L.

The old bracket was in the shape of an upside down reversed L. (if that makes any sense to you)

If the new axle is the same as the old one, the frame will sit on top of the short part of the L. Leaving very little to weld.

I am sure that you have all this figuered out. I just want to know what I need to have here to get the job done.
Your good to go.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1962, 1962 bambi