Old 06-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
"Worthless" Table in '78 Argosy 24

As we're figuring out the quirks of our "new baby" I think it's been unanimously decided that the fold out flip up fall down table design has got to go. It's redeeming feature is that it folds up out of the way. Beyond that it doesn't have much going for it. For starters it traps whoever is sitting on the couch and it's a pain for anyone else to sit down once it's up. Second, the combination of hinged top and spindly folding leg have the look of disaster written all over it.

While I like the concept of the gaucho for lounging and easy access for people to come in a sit down I can see a dinette is a more practical eating arrangement. However, the work involved in converting is more of a project than I want to take on and I believe the fresh water tank is all along the front of the trailer which is about ideal from a weight distribution standpoint.

So, has anyone got pictures of a great way to use the gaucho for dining? Looking at some pictures of the new interiors I saw one that had a roll out table. Building something like this might be the way to go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	%7B60C6423C-47C5-488B-AFAF-F6F6FB86BFD9%7D_table%204.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	22376

As it is right now there's a quarter round set of shelfs build onto the end of the counter where there was originally a fold up countertop extension. The quarter round looks like it was built to accomodate a TV and such. Not a great use of space for our needs plus it interferes with fully pulling out the gaucho bed. I think this rollout table design would fit there nicely and be very versitile. It would be a pain with the current carpet in the trailer but that's also high on the list of "gotta go" items. Anything that traps dirt and moisture is not good when we go mountain biking or skiing.

bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We had a similar table arrangement in our 1971 TradeWind, and found it quite practical. It would make a nice work space when folded out but not extended, a nice size dining table when extended, and offered mucho storage in front of the goucho when it was folded back. Our table would also slide fore/aft in it's folding mechanism for comfort at the table for different size and age humans. It did require an occasional visit from a set of screwdrivers to keep it situated as originally intended.
We often sat 5 people on it, 2 on the goucho, 3 on our patio chairs around the table. Never had a wish for a different layout in the TradeWind.
Having the water tank in the very front can change the tongue weight drastically from full to empty, and can necessitate different hitch settings to fine tune your tow. I prefer a flat water tank low and closer to the axles, under the floor for better towing consistency. But that's just my opinion - nothing scientific about it.

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
1976 26' Argosy 26
Dashwood , Ontario
I feel your pain. I didn't like the dining/bed arrangement in my 26 ft Argosy so I made my own. The table moves down 16" and back 6" to form the bed. It has worked flawlessly for a month now and is really quite comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dining room.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	22791   Click image for larger version

Name:	table up.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	22792  

Name:	table down.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	22793   Click image for larger version

Name:	matress down.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	22794  

Name:	argosy26.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	22795  
Snowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
That's a very nice design. Is it fixed to the floor? Looks like your 2' extra length is up in the front. With the 24 there's no return seating along the street side wall. Making matters worse in ours a PO installed some permanent shelfs that A) prevent the gaucho from sliding out the last 1-2 inches and B) make it near impossible for anyone to get in or out once the table is folded up into position.

I'm thinking something like your concept but on wheels that can roll back and secure to the end of the kitchen counter (removing the current shelf). If I work it out right it will be a rolling on pantry to provide extra storage and the canned goods will be blast to stablize the table. I wouldn't build a cabinet for it to slide back into when up against the wall but might replace the original fold up/down counter for extra work space. Or we could just use the table either with or without one leaf folled up. The rollout however would likely need to be lower than the counter height for comfortable dinning, scrabble playing, etc.

I'd love to get some feedback from modern AS owners that have this arrangement in their new trailers.

bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
like the fold out table

I like the fold out table in my Argosy.

Just today I talked to my friend Grant about rebuilding, in real woods, the flimsy anodized aluminum and fiber board contrivance that surrounds the gaucho.

But we will keep the table like it is, just rebuild it in better materials.

Like Uwe, I find it neat to be able to use it at half size for myself; full size for dinner.

Your problem with it may be the quarter round addition some PO made to the kitchen counter. Take that out and everything may start working for you.

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
1976 28' Argosy 28
Mansfield , Massachusetts
How to reinstall the original table?

Hi all
I just bought a 76' 28' Argosy with the slide out table that others are talking about. The previous owner had removed the whole assembly from under the ledge in front of the pullout couch and I can't figure out how to get it back in. It looks like there is a piano hinge unit that bolts under the ledge via a piece of plywood. Then the table itself seems to slide into a metal slot. I can get it to this point but I don't see anything that holds the table into the hinge slot. Looks like it can easily fall out and the table crash onto the floor or someone's foot! Also like one of the above writers, this looks like a dangerous situation because the leg on the extension looks kind flimsy. I have an advanced degree in engineering and feel like a dunce here because I can't figure this out. THANKS in advance. Liisa
Liisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
The table should have plastic guides that fit into the end of the metal slot attached to the hinge. The guides then should glide in the slot to adjust the space between the seating area or for some rigs the stowage location.
WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
"Worthless" Table in '78 Argosy 24

Greetings Bernie!

Your Argosy has a somewhat different base arrangement when compared to the Credenza table that is in my Minuet -- it has a single, rather substantial support leg that folds out to hold the end of the table. I get a great deal of use out of the arrangement, but still enjoy my Overlander's free-standing drop-leaf dining table more. A little more than three years ago, I had the opportunity to purchase two "sampler" tables at an Amish arts and crafts auction in Wisconsin. These tables seat two people easily and fold to a compact travel size. I have attached photos of these table in both open and folded mode as well as a photo of my Overlander's drop-leaf dining table.

1964 Overlander Drop-Leaf Dining Table (Restored by Fowler Interiors):

Good luck with your investigation!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Amish Table 1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	25766  
Attached Images
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California

We have a fold up table in our Bambi. When I first saw it I thought.... no way! But a person can manuver around it when it is up.... sits 2 nicely. Folds up like an ironing board and fits in the closet. I originally thought I would want some other arrangement, but it is working pretty well. The only thing I don't have is a little place for coffee on one of the couches... so we are still deciding on how to accommodate that.

Nice table pics folks! Glad to see what others have done! The table you see here is ours, but it was "before". Mostly had to clean it up and put on new edging.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	morepicturesofbambitrailer004.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	25768  

CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote