Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Question Will Removeall, Remove all ?

I used the RemoveAll220 on the exterior to clean up most of the faded clear coat, and as long as I let it sit overnight and pressure washed it off the next moring, it did a great job. The dwell time was a small price to pay not to deal with the normal by products of paint stripper.

Next summers project will be to do something with my interior walls. The PO painted them with a brush and they are dirty and look horrible. Has anyone used removall on the interior ? Not sure If I want to sand and paint again or try to get back to the original finish...Any ideas or suggestions
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo View Post
I used the RemoveAll220 on the exterior to clean up most of the faded clear coat, and as long as I let it sit overnight and pressure washed it off the next moring, it did a great job. The dwell time was a small price to pay not to deal with the normal by products of paint stripper.

Next summers project will be to do something with my interior walls. The PO painted them with a brush and they are dirty and look horrible. Has anyone used removall on the interior ? Not sure If I want to sand and paint again or try to get back to the original finish...Any ideas or suggestions
From my experience, RemovAll has been more like EventuallyRemoveAll and my go-to paint stripper for various projects is Aircraft Paint Remover Low VOC version, sold at Pepboys, among other places.

Then again, the RemovAll experience I had was a few years back and was probably one of the first big jobs I did with paint stripper, so it could have been error in the user.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
RemoveAll...We called it "RemoveSome" when we tried it on our interior paint over Zolatone. The problem I think we had was keeping it moist long enough for it to work. In our dry climate that was next to impossible. I think it would have to be applied then covered with plastic wrap or something...we stripped the entire interior - that would have been a lot or wrapping!

I found CitriSrip to be just as enviromentally friendly, easier to work with (it's thicker) and it smells MUCH better than RemoveAll. For really tough areas, we resorted to Aircraft Stripper which is by far the most effective, but not environmetally safe or "skin-friendly".

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
RemoveAll...We called it "RemoveSome" For really tough areas, we resorted to Aircraft Stripper which is by far the most effective, but not environmetally safe or "skin-friendly".

Shari
Just a heads up Shari, et al- They now have two varieties which are drastically different- the "Low VOC" one is barely discernible from the other one aside from the small label change and a thicker consistency, but does not burn the skin even half as much as the original, and is just as efficient. I actually thought all stock in stores had been replaced with it so I was surprised with how much odor came off when I opened up a new can a couple weeks ago- it really emphasized the difference to me. Citristrip is still the only major one I haven't used, so next time I have a project I will pick some up to compare.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We've used both Aircraft Stripper formulas (and just about everything else on the market) during our restorations. I didn't like the low voc version at all - the high octane stuff was far superior but is no longer available in all areas. I settled in on Citri-Strip for 90% of all my stripping needs saving the "mean nasty" stuff for special problem areas.

I'm just glad we are way past the stripping phase...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1968 26' Overlander
Lost Angeles , California
I used RA220 on my clear coat and I was very pleased with the results. 70 degrees outside and parked out of direct sunlight seemed to be a great combination for me. As far as the interior paint goes, you may be able to strip the PO's failing paint job but I don't know if you can do it without hurting the zolotone (vinyl covering of interior aluminum panels) , which is rather difficult to remove however very rewarding if done properly.

1968 Airstream Overlander
1975 Airstream Sovereign
TV = 1997 Ford F250HD Powerstroke
hartley1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
When stripping paint I want to do just that, strip the paint. What ever it takes to do it the easiest way is the route I take. What ever it takes, often puts, skin burning, bad odors, and good for the earth as secondary concerns to me. For me I have found that the one with the most methyl chloride in it works the best. Currently AllPro Marine Stripper is what we use(by the 5 gallon can) and find it to be VERY effective at removing any form of paint, epoxy, varnish, or urethane coating. It burns the heck out of your skin, and the fumes will have you humming Stairway to Heaven in seconds, and I am very sure it competes with itself as to weather it can eat the ozone layer or the earths core faster, but it works very well. When someone is paying me to do the work, I need to make sure it works as efficiently as possible.
I have never tried Removal 220. I have attempted five times to do so but every time I call to order it, it out of stock at VTS.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Frank,

If you ever manage to get your hands on some Removall I predict that you will immediately switch to it.

A previous owner of our 1960 Pacer had applied some kind of aftermarket clear coat which appeared to be nearly impervious to every conventional stripper I could find. The only thing I had found that worked was a long soak with aircraft stripper followed by laboriously scouring off the softened coating with steel wool.

I bought a tub of Removall and was astonished. The old clear coat literally came off in sheets. The Removall doesn't attack the film, it attacks the bond with the substrate.

As far as removing paint over the original Zolatone, that's a toughie. My guess is the Removall would remove the Zolantone, but thankfully I never needed to find out. The Zolatone on the Pacer was still in good shape after nearly half a century.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
This is great stuff, thanks for the input !!
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote