Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
F350 too big

In my opinion the need for the 350 ford is too much truck, if you are only buying the truck to pull the AS with. We have a 1998 Chevy z71 that pulls great! It is a 1/2 ton truck we have the weight distributing hitch with sway control and have never wish we had more. We haven't been through the mountains yet, may wish the truck was bigger then but might just be a gear thing. We are in Elkhart and travel the state parks in IN. and Mi. When you're ready we will meet you out there have fun! Mike

Old 04-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Mishawaka , Indiana
Your Sovereign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
In my opinion the need for the 350 ford is too much truck, if you are only buying the truck to pull the AS with. We have a 1998 Chevy z71 that pulls great! It is a 1/2 ton truck we have the weight distributing hitch with sway control and have never wish we had more. We haven't been through the mountains yet, may wish the truck was bigger then but might just be a gear thing. We are in Elkhart and travel the state parks in IN. and Mi. When you're ready we will meet you out there have fun! Mike
So I see you have a 1972 Sovereign. So what kind of restorations have you done on it? Did you find any of the supplies around Elkhart or did you have to buy online? I saw the picture of it. You have anymore pictures? Do you love camping in it? Is this your first AS?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTom View Post
I have done a fair amount of research and found one close to yours in year model but was not able to come to terms with the seller. I did look into a lot of things before I was going to commit and one thing I found.
You are going to want to get one of these before to take it on the road. You don't want one of those front wing windows breaking.

Tim
Sorry to go off-topic, but thanks for posting that link to the video on how to install the rockguard! I just bought one from Inland Andy and was thinking I would have to get it installed at an RV place, but that video makes it look fairly easy to do. Especially the trick in removing the hinge from the roackguard instead of trying to install it while it's on the main part of the guard.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
Durham , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
I agree with Mike,

a one ton truck would be overkill, I tow our 76 sovereign with a 2000 1/2 ton Dodge and have never had much to worry about- as long as the truck is equipped properly things will be great- good luck!
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared129 View Post
I agree with Mike,

a one ton truck would be overkill, I tow our 76 sovereign with a 2000 1/2 ton Dodge and have never had much to worry about- as long as the truck is equipped properly things will be great- good luck!
I agree that our one ton is overkill, we just got it because we also plan to use it with a truck camper. I think the payload of the F-250 was only about 600 lbs more than the weight of the camper, which could be exceeded by the weight of passengers. If not for the plans to use a truck camper we probably would have settled on a 3/4 ton truck. I'm not sure that we would have found a half-ton that seats six, has an 8' box and would still have enough of a safety margin to pull the Sovereign. Besides, with 4 kids in the truck I'd rather have the extra margin of safety.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by damerritt View Post
So I see you have a 1972 Sovereign. So what kind of restorations have you done on it? Did you find any of the supplies around Elkhart or did you have to buy online? I saw the picture of it. You have anymore pictures? Do you love camping in it? Is this your first AS?
The 72 was purchased by my Grandparents in the early 70's after attending a Rally (their first, I think) in a smaller Airstream (60's vintage). On their way into town they saw this one at Trailer Town on Indiana 19 (if I dig I can get the dates and address as my grandfather recorded everything that was done with this trailer in journals) and traded up for the Sov. The trailer sat for many years at the lake (we used it as a spare bedroom) so the axles were shot ant the tires. Both have been replaced. (when you get ready to do your axles I will help IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL just a few extra hands HELP!) We have done some minor floor repair and tackled a Rear end separation issue, took it down to Jackson ctr. and had the frame stiffeners put in. We replaced the Air unit (bought on E-bay picked up here in town) Again no big deal if you have a fork lift to put the new on up with. (I have access to one when you are ready) I fabricated a bunk over the curb side twin bed for our 8 year old ( had to remove the cabinets but there is so much other storage we wont miss them). My grandfather cut out the shelf over the pantry in the tambour door to put in a microwave (we just changed to a newer unit now the tambour door close in front of it) We are currently re working the couch in the front for new fabric and repair some cracked plywood (if you have a front couch be careful to put your knees where the supports are I learned the hard way). We are in the process of resealing the weather stripping on the doors and windows (Jackson Ctr = 18 cents a foot salvage shop heard I was putting it in an AS and the price was 65 cents a foot) I picked it up while I was there for the frame work. We also got tired of chasing bad sockets in the marker lights so we replaced them all (surplus store on Bristol street). I don't recall how many and where I have replaced rivets but there have been a few!! We have used this Airstream throughout the process and do a little here and a little there. Clean yours get the rock guard on and get it on the road, You will find things you want to change and things you don't the only way to know is to use it! We have a summer planned almost every other weekend, most are one tank weekends (Fill tank before we leave and need gas when we get home). We have a great list of state parks that we like and feel they are controlled well. When you are ready I'll shoot you some dates where we will be and meet you there!! HAVE FUN, Mke
Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Almost forgot yes we love camping in it!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
Durham , Maine
Of course it is always better to be caught with too much truck than having too little truck! I am planning on purchasing a 3/4 when the finances allow.....mainly for the increased options available when choosing the powertrain- probably going to go with diesel.
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las Vegas , Nevada
As for trucks, you really will not ever have to much truck with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, you will just tow better and safer. Just to throw it our there in the Fords the f250 and F350 SRW are the same truck and running gear with the exception of 4" risers on the rear axle on the 350 vs 2" on the 250

Tr0y