Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 01:06 AM   #1

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
El Centro , California
Where to begin?

I own a 1959, 24' Airstream. For the most part it's gutted. I have been saving for a renovation but would like to try to do some of it myself. My question is where do I start? Paint? Windows? Electrical? The floor?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. At the moment all I have is an aluminum tent!
Airstrmlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Point of Entry

A house is built from the ground up.
Anything worth while that stands the test of time was built on a solid foundation.

As a result of these two sayings, ...... start with your axle, frame, and floor.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Make sure your frame is sturdy & doesn't need welding or beefing up. Then sand & paint with POR15. From there, address your subfloor. After that, electrical and insulation....plumbing too. Then the fun stuff: painting, laying new floor, bed builds, kitchen cabinets go back in, build dinette. This is how we did it. It has only taken us 4 years to get to the fun stuff.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Kent , Washington
As others have said make sure frame axle and floor are sound. Then fix any known leaks. But, that's mostly exterior work.

To answer you interior question; first demo anything your are removing or completely changing then to do the electrical as your first renovation because you want to be able to have power and light available for everything else. After that I'd start with any painting you plan to do before the flooring or cabinetry that would need to be protected or otherwise might get in the way.
tonydead is offline   Reply With Quote