Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
we use a plastic tote, that I outfitted inside with mattress foam that I glued together in layers - then cut the bottle holes with a large sharp kitchen knife...

the tote holds 12 bottles, and I usually toss it in the Excursion along with our other 'extra' storable stuff...if we take a trip longer that a '12 bottle' outing, I guess I'll have to get a cask and strap it onto the old Ford's roof...

we also take along a couple of those wine 'boxes' that store well inside the AS...there are a large variety of 'boxed' wines, these days, and some are quite good - and the juice 'keeps' for longer than a half-full 'bottle'...but let's face it...half full wine bottles turning bad aren't really a 'problem' with us...you can always use the juice of the grape on your morning cornflakes!...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I have a few ideas I have used over the years:

For a short trip, I have put them in thick socks in my heavy boots in the back of the closet.

For a longer trip, I wrap them in hand towels and put two or three each into a couple of day packs. Then into the closet.

A month boondocking in Montana, put the case in the bathtub, pack the whole thing with towels. At the last town before entering the wilderness you can fill it up with ice cubes (if you are packing whites) and cover it with a plastic trash bag and more towels. Then shower outside, remember, you are in the wilderness!

A trip across the Sahara, anywhere they will fit. Next to the goat, under the spare tire, in a sock in the toolbox, (which is really handy in case you have broken down again) in a neoprene sleeve floating in the water barrel. When you arrive at a camping spot, drop to your knees immediately in gratitude for each one that surfaces unbroken and pray to God that the 115 degree heat has not boiled away the alcohol.

Did I mention I like wine?

Carol

Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
My box of wine fits perfectly in the door of my fridge ( =

Don't have to worry about it breaking, and doesn't take up much space.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
Not much on wine but I do like to keep my wild turkey up in the cab of my truck...that way i can ship on it wile i pull my airream down the hiway....

Oh come on now that was funny...
Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head'nOut View Post
Not much on wine but I do like to keep my wild turkey up in the cab of my truck...that way i can ship on it wile i pull my airream down the hiway....

Oh come on now that was funny...

Only in East West Virginia...

Now THAT was funny!

Wild Turkey gives me heartburn something fierce...I'm more partial to Maker's Mark. Now that's a Bourbon I don't mind getting familiar with! I have a great Special Forces deployment story involving Maker's Mark, Lufthansa and a really mad German stewardess...I'll save it for a get-together one day...till then, use your imaginations.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Love it Carol!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
I have a few ideas I have used over the years:

For a short trip, I have put them in thick socks in my heavy boots in the back of the closet.

For a longer trip, I wrap them in hand towels and put two or three each into a couple of day packs. Then into the closet.

A month boondocking in Montana, put the case in the bathtub, pack the whole thing with towels. At the last town before entering the wilderness you can fill it up with ice cubes (if you are packing whites) and cover it with a plastic trash bag and more towels. Then shower outside, remember, you are in the wilderness!

A trip across the Sahara, anywhere they will fit. Next to the goat, under the spare tire, in a sock in the toolbox, (which is really handy in case you have broken down again) in a neoprene sleeve floating in the water barrel. When you arrive at a camping spot, drop to your knees immediately in gratitude for each one that surfaces unbroken and pray to God that the 115 degree heat has not boiled away the alcohol.

Did I mention I like wine?

Carol
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
In the cardboard box that it comes in of course. ;>)
Old 08-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Right on...bottles packed in the cases they were shipped in from the winery work just great!

With the last name of 'Cellar', and being ensconced near Lodi, Ca, the state's Central Valley's wine region, we frequently enjoy a 'taste' of the Grape...having to deal with any damaged bottles are cause for great sadness...

Be careful out there - don't 'bruise' that delicious elixir...

Ray & Pat Cellar...with grape stained feet, during the 'crush' this time of year...
Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
We originally kept the wine in the two triangular spaces at the foot of the bed where the bed pedistal is cut away for the curved mattress. I could put 4 or 5 bottles in each of the spaces with foam padding or towels.

More recently, I built a 5-bottle wine rack into the top of the microwave cabinet. This can be seen in my 2005 Classic 25 thread. Bottles lay on their sides in felt-covered bins. We seldom take over 5 bottles, so this is perfect for our use.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Boxed wine and Gin Martini's.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Black Box Cabernet is pretty tasty, unbreakable, and when empty we rinse the spiffy inner container, fill with water, freeze and use it in our boat's ice chest -- big old ice cube that also provides survival water should something go amiss.

Then again, Bacardi Light Rum in the handy plastic 750ml bottle is pretty swell.

mike
Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
All the booze, the wine, the tequila for the margaritas, the coffee Liquor for my morning cappucino, whatever, goes into old socks ( clean, lol!) and into the storage bin under the dinette when we travel. Haven't broken one yet. One bottle of wine goes into the fridge along with the beer.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Sounds like A/S needs to build more "spirits" cabinets/spaces
Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
We bought an ottoman (~18" square), which also serves as an extra seat at times.....when you lift the padded top off, it's perfect for storing wine bottles and paper plates! It has been so handy, I am tempted to buy another one....

When we arrive at our destination, we frequently store 3-4 bottles across the top of the cabinet over the gaucho....just so's they are handy!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU