Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
What's this hole in my floor?

I have no idea what this is, so I hope this is the right place to put it.
I have NO idea what it is! It's in the rear drivers side closet, under the carpet. I think the copper pipe is condensating, because the floor is damp but it's not leaking. Anyhow, this thing looks like a outlet cover, with a copper (or brown plastic?) pipe going straight through to the outside. What the heck!?
MonaxLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Is it near the water hearer? It could be were an old gas line came in. Is it rubber?

If the floor is damp, a PO might have tried to "fix" the problem by draining it. lol
Who knows?

If it's condensation, wrap it with insulation and foil tape, or switch it to pex piping.
nomader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
yeah it is near the water heater, and it's right where they replaced some copper tubing...so that could be it!! I wonder if wrapping it with bubble wrap would work for the condensation, I don't have anything else.
MonaxLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa View Post
yeah it is near the water heater, and it's right where they replaced some copper tubing...so that could be it!! I wonder if wrapping it with bubble wrap would work for the condensation, I don't have anything else.
You can get this, it's what it's made for:

Shop Plumbing : Pipes & Fittings : Tubular Pipe Wrap at Lowes.com
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
My 77 has the same copper grommet hole on the driver side rear storage compartment just forward of the water heater (rear bath model). My guess is it is for bringing a telephone line into the trailer as my trailer is wired for telephone from the factory. It can also be used to fish coax cable into the trailer for cable TV. I wonder if it might also be there for water to drain out if there is a major water leak from the heater or the toilet?? Those are my guesses.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote