Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Mckinney , Texas
What would you do?

What would you add, change, or fix if you had the interior skins and insulation out before putting them back in. That's where I'm at and I'm trying to make sure that I've done everything needed before the walls go back on and that there's not some cool feature or upgrade that can only be done with walls off.
Smokincj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Maybe bond some rare earth magnets around the windows for attaching blinds or curtains majicly to the walls. I saw the idea somewhere on the forum and thought it was a genius plan
Old 02-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Mckinney , Texas
Oh man that's a awesome idea. That's the kind of idea I was wanting to hear about.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The obvious thing is electrical wiring:
- 12v power, for lighting obviously; also, any USB chargers, cigarette lighter outlets, inverters, rope lights in the cabinets, fridge controls, range ignitor, water heater controls, pump, furnace
- 120v power, usually less important but if you need to replace deteriorated wire now is the time to do it. If you're upgrading to 50a service do it now. Might also pre-wire for an electric water heater and electric heat if you have aspirations for either
- A/V connections
- instrumentation, like tank gauges or a integrating ammeter (battery capacity meter)
- solar panels
- tail, turn, backup, and running lights
- backup camera
- thermostat, particularly a consideration if you're thinking of relocating it
- any outside lights you plan to add in place or in addition to the usual "scare light"

This is also a good time to complete any exterior sheet metal or window repairs since you can use buck rivets while the interior panels are off.

It is also a good time to replace or overhaul any running lights if you're going to do that.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
I'll be there soon as well.
I'm adding solar wiring, HDMI wires for Laptop to where Flat screen will be. I will also add thicker aluminum there as well for mounting. Illuminated handle light at entrance.
LED light connection points for ambiance lighting or xmas lights.
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Mckinney , Texas
Definitely going to make a list of all the lighting and AV hook ups I think I'll want. Cause your right even if I don't use them it will be better to have the ability to in the future. Love the idea of the back up camera and solar power.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Add strings in areas that you think you might one day install some electric. Or even better would be to install flexible tubing as "conduit" to pull wires through.

Label all the ends of your wires so that you know precisely where they go!

Run HDMI cables on the chance that you might want to have HDTV in multiple areas. I've been hanging the flatscreen over the kitchen window in camp so as to be able to watch movies by the campfire.

Set up for surround sound in the main sitting area, and additional speakers in the bedroom.

Have two 110V circuits: one that runs through the inverter, and a utility circuit that by-passes it. Inverters will only pass so much juice through them; if you want to run that space heater at the same time as the espresso machine and your charger just decided that now was a good time to saturate the batteries... no need to ask me how I know this is bad!

Add exterior utility plugs, to run that TV, fans, party lights, boom boxes, etc.

Set up your incoming shore power so that it runs through a high-end surge/dip protector.

Add an outdoor shower near the door. I used a marine transom shower. Even if you don't plan on bathing this way, it's great for getting mud (or "land mines") off of shoes, or hosing down the picnic table or BBQ.

All I can think of for now...
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
If you have or plan to add a roof mounted AC, this is the time to install a drain line concealed within the wall. We inserted a Dometic Auxiliary Drain Pan Kit beneath our AC along with the drain line so condensate no longer runs down the exterior skin.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
take photos of everything, so you can go back and see how you chose to do things, and know where things are behind the walls. I recommend the backup camera wired version.
dower.bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Radiant heat

Does anyone add in-floor radiant heat?
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There is an electric heater add-on named CheapHeat (http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com) if you do chilly or cold weather camping. If you stay at places with hookups, this addition to your trailer can really add to your comfort, keep your tanks warm, and save on propane. So... add a separate circuit from your fuse panel for best install.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote