Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I didn't have the decision to make when I obtained my Bambi II....the interior was destroyed. I kept the exterior as original "looking" as I could, with the exception of the "Jack" TV antenna. The interior is completely new. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f147...ler-75011.html

This might give you some ideas of how to modernize some of the interior while keeping the look of the exterior. It was a fun project!
Wow, excellent thread showing excellent work. Thank you for the reference. What brand of toilet did you get to fit in your Bambi?
grayling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
what would YOU do???

Greetings grayling!

I was browsing through some of my Airstream documents and found reference to early 1960s Airstreams with either a pink or an aqua-marine-blue. Those documents sparked my memory of the 1998 WBCCI International Rally (it could possibly have been the 1999) where one of the 1961 Bambis had the pink color scheme . . . it had a pink (think Mary Kay pink) front on the refrigerator, a pink cooktop and a pink porcelain sink . . . I believe that the porcelain on the toilet was pink, but I am less certain on this point. The Formica on the countertops and the drop leaf dining table was on off-white with tan flecks. Drapes were off-white and the upholstery was a medium tan tweed. The floor tile was off-white with gold flecks (I don't believe that the floor tile was original). I have never actually seen a Bambi with the Aqua-Marine color scheme, but in the larger trailers it usually included an aqua-marine refrigerator, range/oven, and sometimes a porcelain sink.

I think that you will find that most enthusiasts don't get overly concerned with the color scheme. My theory with my coaches has been that the original cabinetry and fixtures are worth maintaining . . . but I have chosen color schemes that aren't necessarily period correct. My Overlander's antique pewter color scheme has little relationship to what was popular in 1964, but features such as the comfort panels next to the bed were maintained with an upholstery to match my new color scheme. My original bathroom fixtures were professionally refinished in antique pewter (replacing the avocado green. I maintained the beige quilted ceiling upholstery in the bedroom and the light brown range/oven as they came from the factory.

I am enjoying following your planning thread for your Bambi's future. I am sure that you are going to have many years of memories with the coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I'm all for making it your own and comfortable. Take your time and do it right. Don't think "I'll just do it like this now and fix it later". Later does happen until it keeps breaking and you've fixed it for the last time. Enjoy your AS TT.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayling View Post
Wow, excellent thread showing excellent work. Thank you for the reference. What brand of toilet did you get to fit in your Bambi?
Thanks! I used a Thetford Aqua Magic II (I think) china bowl. The size is good, but we had issues with cross-threading the fitting (it's plastic into the toilet), so take care when plumbing it! I look forward to your progress!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up 63 Safari....

We left it the way we got it in 1989. Original owner re-did it in the early 70's.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63 SAFARI #1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	618.9 KB
ID:	199016   Click image for larger version

Name:	We made it.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	551.2 KB
ID:	199017  

Old 11-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We left it the way we got it in 1989. Original owner re-did it in the early 70's.

Bob
Wow, it works!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
With the shower/toilet floor pan being canary yellow, the stove and fridge being brown, and cabinetry being blonde, I am thinking of a blue/yellow/blonde color scheme. Keep it light.

A couple of web pics for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	199132   Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	199133