Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
What is your wish list? Need advice before I start!

Okay team, So as someone said, I'm at a bit of a crossroads here. It is seeming like it might be easier start fresh than to try to repair the mangled mess of OEM stuff I ripped out of the trailer.
I think I was using the wrong tools to take things out... Like a sawzall and a crow bar. Live and learn I guess.
Moving forward, I'd like to take a poll from our seasoned Airstreamers since I have only enjoyed my trailer for 2 nights total before I F&%@ed it all up…
as can be seen here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/i...lp-122767.html

1. What are the things you wish you had? Solar panels? Outdoor speakers? More storage?
2. What are some things you could live without or never use? I.E. The oven? Fresh water tank? Wall clock and barometer?
3. What would be some deal breakers if you were to buy a restored/renovated trailer and money was no object? (assuming that everything was perfect as far as frame, subfloor etc.) Like: "there is no propane fridge in this thing, I can't live without that"

I know these answers are going to vary drastically, but I want to get a good game plan before I move forward, and also know I'll be able to sell my trailer if I fall on hard times as it is kind of a luxury item for me.

And some things to keep in mind about my uses:
A. I will be boon docking in the desert for dirt biking trips a handful of times a year.
B. I plan on living in the trailer full time for one year while building a house, the trailer will be parked in front of the job site (for security reasons as well, so no one steals my materials at night).
C. After a few months of the job starting I will most likely have a power cord and hose running to it. But before that I will be somewhat boon docking in a suburban neighborhood.
D. It is a 1972 21' Globetrotter. I live near Los Angeles/Santa Monica with tame winters and little to no rain. Thanks everyone!
The-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I'm rebuilding a '73 GT at the moment. I've beaten most of these questions quite soundly. I'll answer your questions in order:

1) I am planning to change my external battery box into more of an exterior useful item by running a propane line with a quick connect on it so that I can plug an outdoor portable grill directly into my propane system and not futz with little propane bottles. I am also going to put a hose with a handheld sprayer on it in there so that I have an outdoors shower. I ran an electrical wire up through my ceiling in case I have an urge to do solar some day, but am stopping there.

2) I too am considering replacing the oven with a cook top, and then using the space below for a built-in microwave. This is one I am still pondering. I will have practically no "hanging" space in my closets--everything converted to shelves or drawers. Everything else will remain just as functional or more so than original--I actually added two grey tanks--which you will have to do as well in order to boondock. I had a gaucho that stretched across the front of my trailer that I will replace with a dinette that will convert into a lounge or a bed.

3) What are the resale deal breakers? As above, restore your trailer to be fully functional as a modern travel trailer. This means, fresh, black and grey water tanks should be there, 12V and 110V electrical systems should be fully functional. LP gas system should be there, and the fridge should be an RV fridge, not a Wal-mart dorm fridge. When I see an electric only fridge, to me that is a huge red flag that this trailer is just being flipped, and I can assume that the floor is rotten under the new pergo, etc.. Don't permanently remove sleeping capacity, ie., if it was originally built to sleep 4, it should sleep 4 when you go to sell it. Otherwise you decrease your market substantially.

good luck
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
Hey Belegedhel,
wow, thanks a lot! great idea on the battery compartment. And I have the front goucho too, I was definitely going to change that into the booth/bed setup. Good advice on not eliminating sleeping space too, I was toying with the idea of ditching a place for 2 more to sleep, but I'll keep it as a 4 sleeper.

One route I was thinking of going was a solar system with a 12v fridge instead of propane. Do you think that would bug someone?
The-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There are electric only fridges for RV/marine applications--I assume that is what you are talking about. I imagine that as long as they function and you don't lose any volume, nobody should complain.

It is the 110V AC only "dorm" style fridges that always catch my eye as just being wrong. You can't boondock with them, and they might not even have enough insulation in them to keep your food safe for a short drive. If you are going to have the trailer parked and plugged in all the time, then an RV style fridge is probably not going to be the most efficient one out there--a more conventional fridge will probably burn less electricity. BUT--when you go to sell the trailer, expect any savvy buyer to immediately start negotiating you down on the price because they will have to replace that fridge before they can go on a road trip. If you go with a "conventional fridge--just be sure to leave the cabinet space, vents and chimney intact so that an RV fridge can eventually be installed.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote