Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

What is this material named?

Hi friends,
This is my first post as a new member. I am restoring my mom's "74" Excella 500! I am very excited about this project! As a family, we had some great times in the old gal! I am looking for a used truck or suburban to tow it with this winter and have been spending the summer weekends working on the camper. It has been sitting up for quite some time. It is at the opposite end of the state, so this is every-other-weekend, drive down there, slow going. Nonetheless, it is slowly coming together. I am amazed at how well it has held up despite the neglect! So much of the work I have done has been hidden from view, plumbing, wiring, etc.... What I need to do for my own inspiration to continue working and putting money into the project is to do some easy, highly visible, and "feel good" repairs. Many of the roll-up storage drawers are damaged. What do you call this stuff and can I repair these or are they available somewhere? I don't quite know how to describe them, other than to say that they are the covers for the storage comparments found throughout the trailer. They roll-up or down and are accordion like. Can anyone tell me what they call this material? Thanks
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Welcome to the forums!

The term for the roll ups is tambour. Run a search in it in the search box and you will find a ton of posts on it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Smile Tambour repair, step by step

Thanks Brett G!
Wow! After you told me the material was called "Tambour," I was able to find information easily on the internet and here in the forums! A web site by a manufacturer recommended using contact cement to glue a non-stretching cloth to the back of the tambour to repair the breaks. Lo and behold! Here in a previous thread is an article by "Chuck" with a link for step-by-step instructions for DIY!!! I have placed the link below, hope I did it right! I can't wait to get back home and get started. Thanks for the info.!

http://www.silvertwinkie.com/tambour/index.html
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote