Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
For the vinyl laminated walls, the film of vinyl is the same as vinyl wallpaper used in some bathrooms. The film needs to be flexible and therefore must have plasticizer added to the formulation. unfortunately that plasticizer degrades with time at temperature and starts to become incompatible with the vinyl resin and therefore starts to "spew". This is a common problem with all old flexible vinyls. The above posts detail a number of cleaners the members have found effective and the Future acrylic wax helps seal in the remaining plasticizer. I think this may be a permanent fix but if the sticky again develops, you can always strip the Future, reclean, and recoat..

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have seen those floor coatings yellow over time. Is that a concern that you will have even more stuff to deal with down the road?

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
I had a 78 that was very sticky and covered with no-see-um bugs, tried at least 7 products that people swore by! Tried brillo pads with some success, then tried Krud Kutter with GREAT success! I am sure every case is a little differant. I had a second 78 that was in great shape and any of the products would have cleaned. Good Luck!
Troy, MI
1963 22'Safari
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
All organic materials age with time. The yellow discoloration will vary with the product formulation and the amount of sunlight it gets. Future is pretty stable, but you can strip it 10 or 15 years down the road, if you think it is necessary. I would prefer to have a little yellow than sticky ceilings and walls.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I have seen those floor coatings yellow over time. Is that a concern that you will have even more stuff to deal with down the road?

No one has ever reported that the Future acrylic ever discolored in 40 years.

So, I would have to say, no worry.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
I have stripped the vinyl off of my overhead bin cabinet doors. The vinyl came off pretty easily but left a lot of adhesive on the wood. I was going to stain and finish the doors, but I need to get the adhesive off. I tried goo gone and it did nothing. I've heard of WD 40 but haven't tried it yet. Anyone have a majic solution to this adhesive? BTW, the PO of my trailer painted the interior vinyl with an exterior latex paint and it looks good, no sticky or anything. Just need to get this adhesive off the wood cabinet doors! Help!!
sarasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1988 34' Excella
Orlando , Florida
My 1988 Excella has the vinyl coated walls and like all vinyl it does become sticky over time. When I asked the same question several months ago, someone in the forum suggested a product called Westley's Bleach White, a product most commonly used to clean white sidewall tires on your car. It's low cost and worked great on my RV without a lot of work. You can buy it a just about all stores that sell any auto cleaning or maintenance products. Like any other product, test it on your RV in a small spot first.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
Restoration Project 2012
1966 20' Globetrotter
Riverhead , New York
the vinyl

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

The wall covering is a "vinyl" that's bonded to the aluninum.

Spic and span is a good cleaner, if you use a lot of elbow grease with it.

After it's clean, you might want to apply a couple of coats of "Future floor acrylic" to it.

You will be amazed of how great it will look.

You can roll it on, spray it on, or brush it on.

Every grocery store sells it.

After it's on, all you need to do is just wash an area, since it's good enough for kitchen floors.

What do I do if my vinyl has potential mold damage? Can the Vinyl even get mold damage since it is just glued to the aluminum walls?

Insight would be fantastic :-)

BNM87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I used "Simple Green" full strength with one of the sponges that has Scotch Brite on one side. Worked in small areas and rinsed frequently in fresh water.
There was nicotine, cooking grease and every other thing you can imagine on the walls. Cleaned every surface including in and behind cabinets over a year ago and it still smells fresh when I enter the trailer.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote