Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Rancho Cucamonga , California
What do the Gaucho Legs look like?

I am a new owner of a 1968 Caravel and I'm trying to repair the gaucho. It looks like the PO fabricated legs out of an old screen door. I would like to replace them with something more attractive.

When I pull the gaucho out the legs drop down from the front of the couch.

Can anyone describe (or show me pictures) of the legs that support the gaucho bed in the original configuration?

Kitty

Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have pics to describe what you have?

Also you can google Vintage Airstream Archive and see many other 68 Caravels that have gauchos.

Steve

Old 03-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0316.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	56268

Name:	DSC_0318.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	56269

These are pictures of the legs I have now. Can anyone tell me what the orginals looked like?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
I can't speak for your model, but both of mine slide out on metal tracks and are cantalevered. What you have appears to work, thought you could modify a card table leg so as to have a locking mechanism. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hi hellokitty,

I have no knowledge of your Carevel, but do own a 1968 Tradewind with gauchos much like yours. To me, from the pictures you posted, it looks like the previous owner (PO) fabricated the metal supports at home and rabbited out the front crossmember so the metal supports would stay up when the gaucho was closed. I do not believe they were orginal to the trailer.

As you know, gauchos slide out using several oak support slide arms. If someone sets on the gaucho when it is extended, the downward pressure can eventually cause the screws attaching the oak support slide arms to the oak frame to pull out. This is what happend in my trailer.

My solution was to design several wooden supports to fit under the outside frame of the gaucho to support it when fully extended.

I fabricated the supports using 2x4 lumber (unattached) that I cut to the correct lenght. When the gaucho is retracted, the 2x4 supports are removed and placed in storage.

To make them I just extended the gaucho all the way out, then measured from the bottom of the oak supports to the trailer floor and add 1/4". The extra 1/4' serves to hold the supports in place by friction. The 2x4 supports can be stained to match the trim. Total cost is around ten bucks.

I hate that your PO rabbited out the front piece of your gaucho. Perhaps some sanding and a matching stain would help to blend together.

I hope I helped.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
.... I just can't help myself

Luis, a proper Argentinean gaucho.

(from Rocinantes Travels - Pan American Chapter 18)
Old 03-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
To me the legs don't look rabbited. I think that it is only the wear of the legs from rubbing on that part of the sofa bed's frame. Looks to be held in with a single screw and that is all. Probably wanted the extra support because they had two people on the bed that took up the WHOLE mattress, and the edge felt a little perilous. You could remove the legs, sand them down and refinish them. Then if you want support legs, I would make them fit in the sofa bed frame east to west on a hinge the drop out when the sofa bed extends.

Steve
Old 03-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
.... I just can't help myself

Luis, a proper Argentinean gaucho.

(from Rocinantes Travels - Pan American Chapter 18)
No wonder I kept smelling a horse?
Old 03-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Our gaucho doesnt look like yours, but I think they are all basically the same design. On ours, when we pull it out, there are 2 legs made of wood that drop down from the inside for more stability when using it as a bed. I will try to post some pictures shortly to show you what I am talking about. Looks like the front board is missing that would hide the legs also. My sis in law's Ambassador is sitting in my yard, unfortunately, the took the gaucho out to lay new floor but I will see what pictures I can come up with.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Have you found the Gaucho in your Airstream?

Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaścho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Now depending on your gender and marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but neither was found in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!
  • Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting, flared pants with an elastic waistband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
Again, a young female dancer would have been a nice find. And while some old loose fitting garments were left behind by the previous owners, I think they fell into the category of bloomers.
There was an Ammonia aroma one night, but that turned out to be the refrigerator failing. I did find some cleaners under the sink like
Ajax and bleach, but thankfully no Gaucho.
  • Gaucho, an album by Steely Dan.
While I like Steely Dan, I'm not familiar with this particular album. It has not turned up in the rig. Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my 28 foot Excella.
Just the mention of finding a sports team squatting in your Airstream, would undoubtedly, start the Airstream community on a heated and passionate debate on axel replacement, loading and pre-loading, drum brakes vs disk, beefed up frames, tire pressure, and the 70's.
Of course an astute owner, just by looking at the angle of the torsion suspension, would know that a sports team was lurking in the coach.
Therefore, even if the University of California, Santa Barbara, Gauchos sports team were living in my 28 foot Excella, I'd PM someone first.

GMC Gaucho a mid 70's full-sized van model produced by General Motors
Nope, no 70's full size van was found in or around my rig.No Portuguese speaking natives of Rio Grande do Sul, popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho were not found, but a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase was discovered wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.
Now, despite my best efforts, Gaucho has not shown up in my Airstream? What I have found is a sofa that folds out into a bed, and after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho?

Michael

Definitions courtesy of Wikipedia
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty
Attachment 56268

Attachment 56269

These are pictures of the legs I have now. Can anyone tell me what the orginals looked like?
Hi there, I have a '65 Caravel and the legs on my pullout couch are permanently attached. When pushed in they fit right beside the cabinet doors and are hardly visible. They are original equipment. I don't think I have any pics of the couch. You can take a look at my pictures if you want. The link is in my signature line. Here is a pic of the side couch. It is upside down on top of the front couch, but you can clearly see the attached legs.
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
I guess I could attach legs to mine as well. I thought I saw somewhere a bed with legs that fit in like a tent pole. Perhaps it was a custom job too. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Gaucho Legs

HelloKitty-

C Johnson's picture shows the back of this gaucho assembly. This picture shows the front. I drew a line to highlight where the gaucho parts separate when it is expanded.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gaucho_legs.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	56411  
Old 03-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Gaucho Legs

Here are the ones that are on ours. They fold up inside when in couch form. Hope it helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bed leg 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	56459   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed leg2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	56460  

https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote