Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Nikiski , Alaska
What are the chances I have Mold?!?

Here's a interior picture of a trailer I'm picking up at the end of the month, my question is what are the chances I have any mold to deal with... I've dealt with mold in houses and apartments but never dealt with trailers much... is it possible to have mold behind the interior skin where the insulation is? It just seems unlikely to me but I'd rather be safe than sorry.... and if there is mold what's the best way to handle that in this situation? I have my own ideas but would like to hear from all you that have run across this, thanks for your time!

Btw the black you're seeing in the picture is soot, apparently they used to have a small wood stove in here

I can still get out of this, but I got it for a great price

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4384.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	279876

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4386.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	279875
Jakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Others can correct me, but I believe mold needs organic materials to grow. Between the skins there is only aluminum, fiberglass, plastic, vinyl and copper. No organics. Now the floor, interior materials, etc, you could get mold.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Nikiski , Alaska
I was thinking the same thing as well about the organics materials as well, I didn't want to put that out there in hopes someone else would bring that up... the floor seems solid but was coming out anyway
Old 03-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Unless you have a specific mold allergy, I wouldn't sweat about mold. Clorox and a wire brush is all you need.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Mold not as much as rot and decay. The belly pan is likely a mess down there of dead who knows what and maybe some current residents. I've opened ceilings that look factory good and trailers years newer that the mice have tunneled through the insulation leaving a mess of droppings and urine everywhere. Use gloves, masks, eye gear etc and clean things as others have mentioned. You'll have a trailer that smells new and has good air quality. make sure to address the old plywood, what lies under it, and what is inside the walls. None of which is very expensive but requires an empty shell that you've got already. It will never be easier to get to all that than it is now. Looks like a fun project!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Mold spores are everywhere, blowing in the wind. Unless you are allergic there is no problem.

As far as mold being between the skins, it is possible because little critters have lived in there over the life of the trailer most likely have carried spores in, left their waste while they lived, and left dead bodies that have rotted.

The same thing goes on wherever you live. The key is to keep moisture levels as low as possible so that mold cannot grow.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
. . .
As far as mold being between the skins, it is possible because little critters have lived in there over the life of the trailer most likely have carried spores in, left their waste while they lived, and left dead bodies that have rotted.
. . .
Exactly! Strong potential for "Mold City" IMO. AND Hantavirus -- nothing to joke about. [Edit -- see Post #5 also.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakattack View Post
. . .
I can still get out of this, but I got it for a great price
. . .
Personally, I would run away from this "deal" as the risks outweight the benefits IMO. If you are prepared for the worst, have the time and correct protective equipment during interior demolition, and lots of spare money to burn, go for it (I guess).

Good luck!

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Hantavirus search results for threads here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hant...irforums.com&*
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Being a residential builder in the snowy coastal mtns of BC, I'm no stranger to mold or dead rodents etc in walls. I have also done numerous Airstream renovations. Rotten plywood in your floor? Probably, but it looks like you can see what's going on in that one (unless they've put another complete layer of plywood down, in which case I would count on finding rot).

The risk of hantavirus is very low unless there is an active rodent problem as the virus does not live all that long other than in fresh urine. One of my clients previous trailers smelled like the rodent house at a zoo where all the keepers had been on strike for 15 years. I did extensive work on the interior, and have miraculously survived. I'm not saying there is no risk, of course, but just wear a good respirator when you are opening things up and you should be ok. DO YOUR OWN REASEARCH. I wouldn't believe what I read on these forums when it comes to health matters.

What are your goals for this trailer? Total resto-mod or rustic hunting cabin? If it's the former, patience, a great set of tools and some cash should take you there. I have enjoyed almost every hour spent on my 3 trailers.
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Nikiski , Alaska
Thanks for all the responses everyone, I really do appreciate the info and the input... I have also worked in mold remediation as a GC in California were they have some pretty strict guidelines... I'm not sure if anything could have survived the winter up here in Alaska, it got to about -30 degrees up in this part

Either way we did end up picking up this up and I am prepared with tools and a plan of what we would like to do, first on the agenda is removing all interior skins and bring up the floor panels, after which we will be replacing the axle and rehabbing the windows and door and so on
Old 04-02-2017, 06:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the followup and good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote