Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO Bob
I inventory everything I put in my AS and at the end of every trip I mark if I really used it. At the end of the season I decide what I really does need.
this is a really good point and a good plan, I know i keep way too much stuff in my trailer. All those compartments makes me just find stuff to go in them! If i threw out everything i did not use from year to year it would be great.

Quote:
In about 15 years the big weight reduction will hapen. The last of the tricycle motors should be gone along with there toys. The ride is so SO much smoother without their wheight.
Tricycle motors?!! ok that is funny!!!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #30

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
so i did my first trip in my new little trailer and my little T/V, boy i need to shed a few pounds! Everything felt safe the whole time up and down the mountains but it was slow going and i got a work out.

I live right by Boeing Surplus and love the place, so plan on it being a weekly stop off, looking for those honey comb panels.

Jim- any idea how thick of centers and skins i would need to look at to make work? I was looking at a few websites of them and was wanting to understand there strength to weight info more

next i am going to do a hard inventory, i definitely travel with to much!!

Old 09-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Replace the Univolt with an Intellipower converter. Loose about 25 lbs. Darol
Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #32

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
anyone found any nice counter top or door front materials that are solid enough for the job but give a weight savings?
the counter tops seems to be a place that weighs a lot.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka
anyone found any nice counter top or door front materials that are solid enough for the job but give a weight savings?
the counter tops seems to be a place that weighs a lot.
In my former TrailManor, all the counter tops were 3/4" foam laminated between two sheets of thin plywood. The top plywood had a laminate-like finish, but plain old plywood and laminate on top would work fine. There was a solid 3/4" square wood edge all around and wood was laminated in wherever items such as the sink were inserted. The result was exceptionally light and looked just like a solid laminated counter.

I'm surprised that Airstream doesn't use something like that on the small trailers to further reduce weight so that smaller tow vehicles could be used.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #34

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
i like this idea, i am going to be doing new and more counters on my Caravel and a sheet of that pink ridged foam insulation sounds like it would be great. you could maybe just put the formica or wilsonart of whatever right on the top side and something stable for the bottom 1/8 ply or maybe just a sheet of some corrugated plastic sheet. if the whole thing was properly glued and hopefully vacuumed laminated, one would think it would be more than plenty strong as long as you remember not to do jumping jacks on them. This may be a way to make drawer & cupboard fronts too, i like things to have some visual weight to them, skinny little bendy doors look cheep imho, this would solve that quick.

thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka
you could maybe just put the formica or wilsonart of whatever right on the top side and something stable for the bottom 1/8 ply or maybe just a sheet of some corrugated plastic sheet.
thanks
The Wilsonart will probably shatter if something is dropped on it if there isn't some support. I would put at least a thin layer of plywood under it.

Trailmanor is so weight sensitive that I'm sure they thought carefully before putting the layer of plywood on the top surface. I would put the 1/8 ply on both sides of the foam.

Remember to put wood hardpoints in wherever there is a stress point like a sink or upper cabinet.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #36
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Citrus Heights , California
Rivka; You are lucky to live next to Boeing surplus. The aluminum honeycomb panels might work for a table. You would need to use a mix of micro balloons and epoxy to seal the edges. or possibly some sort of aluminum channel for edge treatment. Might look sort of retro 60's kitchen table like. Snoop around at Boeing and ask a few ?s. Most of us airplane types are always up for a new challenge. My plans for my Excella include a carbon fibre dinette table and counter top. If you are not familiar with vacuum bagging you might find some help at a local Experimental Aircraft Assn chapter. EAA.org for that. 2 bad you are not closer I'ld like to take the challenge. Any way any sort of foam for the center and light weight sides squished together with pressure would probably work as Pahaska recomended. You would need to do your own strength testing. Water bags work great for squishing things together. Feel free to contact me, I've worked with glass and composites for some time. good luck Tim
Old 09-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #37

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
yeah i feel lucky to have Boeing nearby too. haven't found the honeycomb panels yet, making good friends with the yard crew and figuring out the delivery schedule so checking weekly is getting to be a smooth trip. the biggest problem come when i spend all day playing in the yard and the warehouse with all the random goodies! to many toys!!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Port Moody , BC
Rivka: Hello from Vancouver BC. Can I ask where the Boeing surplus store is ? What sorts of things do they sell there? I've seen some surplus "Boeing tools" for sale at local wood shows. Is this place open to all public? Thx Jim
Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 AM   #39

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwe63
Rivka: Hello from Vancouver BC. Can I ask where the Boeing surplus store is ? What sorts of things do they sell there? I've seen some surplus "Boeing tools" for sale at local wood shows. Is this place open to all public? Thx Jim

Boeing surplus is a magical place where they toss out anything they are not using this week and let the public come in and buy it all, often for a great deal. Mostly tools and tooling parts, old office furniture of all types and a good source for sheet metal and scrap. Remember that planes and airstreams have a lot in common!

here is the link with one promise from you..... i have been going all spring and summer waiting for honeycomb (a rare thing there i now figure) so if you find some on your first trip there you simply must share. jk if you are planning to come down for a adventure let me know we can make a afternoon of it!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:22 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Auburntown , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to cookeville34
Weight

We are in the process of gutting our 79 Sovereign 31' down to the walls. We are going to put back carpet, new cabinets an electric cooktop and electric fridge. I beleive we will save quite a bit of weight this way. This is not for everyone, (we want ever be away from electric supply) but we completely did away with the propane system, you save all the weight of the tanks & furnace. We are installing 110V electric wall heaters.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
1.Replace the refrig with a smaller unit.
2.Lose the oven in favor of a micro/convection.
3.Lose the furnace & ductwork and replace the roof AC with a heat pump unit. (probably augment with a small wall mounted radiant)
4.Replace copper water lines with pex
5.Replace water heater w/ tankless unit
6.Put wife on diet.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Whoa Nelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail
6.Put wife on diet.
Jeff
I like them all but for the last. My wife is perfect just the way she is. She puts up with me and my Airstream, besides, she works harder than me.

Aluminum bed frames.
Aluminum cabinet frames with very thin plywood or aluminum facing.
Rolled flooring
Mid 70's cabinets are unbelievably light, a study in lightweight construction.
Plastic table and chairs- There are some very nice "picnic sets" out there.
Plastic plates, cups.

R