Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Water wood rot under toilet and water heater!

I removed everything in the bathroom and found wet floor only under the toilet and hot water heater area . I put some heat in the bath room to dry it up so I could see how bad it was well it is really soft behind the toilet seal and by the wall under where the heater door is . I removed the rotten wood and I noticed there is no support under the area I removed (Ill post pictures when I get home). The area is about 1.5 feet by 1.5 feet I have some ideas on how I want to do this out of these below which one would you suggest:

FIRST OPTION

1) Make frame from the trailer bumper frame to the rib frame with treated 2 x 4
2) Make area square to fit piece replacement
3) Make piece to fit cut out area treated wood
4) Screw new piece wood to frame piece
5) Cover area with aluminum sheeting and screw down

SECOND OPTION
(Replace all of subfloor)

The problem I see is making the frame from the bumper frame to the rib beam under the hot water heater would that be wise to screw in and attach a beam to there?

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
I removed everything in the bathroom and found wet floor only under the toilet and hot water heater area . I put some heat in the bath room to dry it up so I could see how bad it was well it is really soft behind the toilet seal and by the wall under where the heater door is . I removed the rotten wood and I noticed there is no support under the area I removed (Ill post pictures when I get home). The area is about 1.5 feet by 1.5 feet I have some ideas on how I want to do this out of these below which one would you suggest:

FIRST OPTION

1) Make frame from the trailer bumper frame to the rib frame with treated 2 x 4
2) Make area square to fit piece replacement
3) Make piece to fit cut out area treated wood
4) Screw new piece wood to frame piece
5) Cover area with aluminum sheeting and screw down

SECOND OPTION
(Replace all of subfloor)

The problem I see is making the frame from the bumper frame to the rib beam under the hot water heater would that be wise to screw in and attach a beam to there?
Any and all frame repairs, modifications, etc, are all short termed, unless welded.

Since part of your floor must be replaced, do the frame repair the # 1 way and weld it.

Then you can have a beer and worry about something else, other than the frame repair failing in time.

Andy

Old 11-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Any and all frame repairs, modifications, etc, are all short termed, unless welded.

Since part of your floor must be replaced, do the frame repair the # 1 way and weld it.

Then you can have a beer and worry about something else, other than the frame repair failing in time.

Andy
Oh Andy if you read any of my other post I have plenty of something else. But it keeps me out of trouble and doing something productive. I don't know if you remember I am the one with the major damage to the roof of my airstream. $10,000 was the estimate but I can do it myself for about $2000 the majority of the cost was labor so it makes since to do it myself.And the metal framing is fine but where the rotted wood is there is no support under it I need to brace it up and I was thinking of spanning a 2x4 across from the bumper frame to the stud frame under the bath floor. this would give the piece of new board support . If use 1/4 inch board covered with sheet of thin aluminum over it that still should give me ok clearence for the toilet o ring i hope..

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
you didn't say if this if a rear or center bath

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
you didn't say if this if a rear or center bath
Sorry your right it is a rear full bath ..

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust