Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Water Tank Orientation - pre-gaucho-rebuild

Hi all, Wifey here, borrowing hubby's account ...

We have a 1968 Airstream Sovereign with its original gaucho on the tongue end that folds out into a bed. I'm planning on rebuilding the sofa/bed frame to extend front to back, instead of side to side. To gain extra storage for mattresses etc., I'ld like to see if we can orient the 30 gal water tank currently under the bed from horizontal to vertical. I'm pretty sure the tank would fit nicely under the window and I can frame it in to keep it from moving around.

Are there any structural/weight/force issues to consider by turning a tank on its side?

Are the water tanks designed only to lay flat (i.e. would there be too much water pressure on the walls of the tank if I turned it 90 degrees)?

Thanks in advance,
Buffalo-Woman
BuffaloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJoe View Post
Hi all, Wifey here, borrowing hubby's account ...

We have a 1968 Airstream Sovereign with its original gaucho on the tongue end that folds out into a bed. I'm planning on rebuilding the sofa/bed frame to extend front to back, instead of side to side. To gain extra storage for mattresses etc., I'ld like to see if we can orient the 30 gal water tank currently under the bed from horizontal to vertical. I'm pretty sure the tank would fit nicely under the window and I can frame it in to keep it from moving around.

Are there any structural/weight/force issues to consider by turning a tank on its side?

Are the water tanks designed only to lay flat (i.e. would there be too much water pressure on the walls of the tank if I turned it 90 degrees)?

Thanks in advance,
Buffalo-Woman
Your original flat 30 gallon water tank was designed to lay flat.

If you mount it on one of it's edges, you will find that it will fracture, in short order.

You can use the square 30 gallon tank that was used in the 64 to 67 models, for your project.

That at least would give you the same water capacity, without fear of the tank breaking.

Andy 14.9
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Thanks, Andy, that is just the sort of information I was looking for. If we go with an upright configuration then we'll go with a different tank. Thanks for saving us from future headaches!
BuffaloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
You may want to consider the fresh water tank like we have in our 1970 which hangs between the frame. That would keep it totally out of your way.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
IF YOUR INTERESTED: I removed the interior of a trailor that looks like a Argorsy - but isn't, to use it as a mouse proof and dry storage shed - works great.
I saved the water tank because it was a really nice aluminum tank in perfect shape. Its about a foot in diameter (round) and about three/four long. Very strong and light!
Your welcome to it if you can use it.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Watch out for changes in your trailer's tongue weight. For a rectangular tank, the center of gravity of the tank will be right at the center of the tank. That's true if the tank is horizontal or vertical. So, if the center of the tank is moved forward, that adds more tongue weight, even though the total weight of the tank doesn't change.

Also, if you use a vertical tank, you may want to look at getting a different water pump. The total lift from the base of the tank to your highest faucet will still be the same, but with the vertical tank more of the lift will be on the suction side of the pump rather than the outlet side. Try it out with your present pump (mounted on top of the tank) and see if it self-primes as it should. If it doesn't then that's when you'll need a new pump to account for the greater suction lift.