Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Washing curtains

Hi folks,
We just bought an o6 classic with very dirty curtains. The curtain fabric looked to me as if it were some type of white colored polyester fabric. I went ahead and just washed my curtains in the machine. I used the delicate cycle with Woolite soap. They had some ink and grease stains on them so before I placed them in the machine I rubbed a little pine oil on the grease stains and they came out; pine oil works on any type of grease that you get on fabric. I used hair spray on the ink; and it disappeared. You can get ink out of a white shirt with hairspray as well; just keep spraying until it disappears. I used a cold-water delicate cycle and put the curtains in the dryer for a short time. They were just barely damp when I took them out. I laid them flat, shaped them, and let them finish drying overnight. I put them up the next morning and they look like new. No shrinkage they fit perfect.
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I used a "dry cleaning" at home product. I think it is called Drydel. It consists of a zippered bag that you put the fabric in and a punch or cleaner and put it in your dryer. Worked OK.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
Washed mine with Woolite, in cold water, gentle cycle on the washing machine. I spread them to dry. They came out fresh and clean, but some of the tough spots did not come out.

I did this as a last resort because the dry cleaners did not want to touch them. They had all kinds of excuses. Saved me some money though.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Thumbs up

We've used the pump style hair spray for years to remove ink stains, but the pine oil is a new one.

We usually hang our curtains up damp, letting them dry in place to minimize shrinkage.

Thanks for the tip,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Where do get Pine Oil?
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:45 AM   #6
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Sempi2,
HI,
You can buy Pine Oil in any grocery store. It is located on the cleaning isle where the soap and cleaning products such as comet or 409 are sitting. Some brands of Pine Oil are cheaper than others are; look on the label and make sure you buy the one that has more pine oil inside. Some cheaper brands have less pine oil and more filler.
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our first RV had yellowed drapes, we soaked them in OxyClean a day or so, then washed, they came out great.