Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Teeswater , Ontario
WANTED: innovative table (or ideas) for couch that can disappear when not in use

We have a U shaped couch with a narrow floor space (2.5 foot wide) that desperately needs some sort of STURDY temporary table for those times when a spot is needed for water / food / remotes / books etc.

I can't count how many times that I've spilled my cup of water on the floor (seeping under the couch) even after I gently remind myself or husband that it's there. i need some sort of table. I found this on tv (Sofa Sidekick™ | Official Site | The sofa table that's there when you need it. Buy 1, Get BONUS Free! | As Seen on TV), but it won't quite work and is not as sturdy as I'm thinking it needs to be.

Any suggestions??
skydiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
How about a a storage cube? This one is from Crate & Barrel- it's 17-1/2" sq., comes in lots of colors, can be used as a foot rest, table, storage space & doubles as an extra seat for a guest. If you don't like the price...I've seen similar things elsewhere for less in fabric or vinyl - you can find them everywhere...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
A TV table. Folds flat to stow away easily when not in use.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiva View Post
We have a U shaped couch with a narrow floor space (2.5 foot wide) that desperately needs some sort of STURDY temporary table for those times when a spot is needed for water / food / remotes / books etc.

I can't count how many times that I've spilled my cup of water on the floor (seeping under the couch) even after I gently remind myself or husband that it's there. i need some sort of table. I found this on tv (Sofa Sidekick™ | Official Site | The sofa table that's there when you need it. Buy 1, Get BONUS Free! | As Seen on TV), but it won't quite work and is not as sturdy as I'm thinking it needs to be.

Any suggestions??
Your link looks sort of like those I've made for my home and for family members.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 09 sofa tableweb.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	125580

Can you show a picture of the exact area where you'd like a table? Maybe I can help you.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We ordered a storage cube set in black from somewhere last year and set the larger one in the area between the driver and passenger seats up front. It was about 18" square, the smaller cube fit inside and didn't have a removable top or storage. I think they were $60 or so, for the set. Both were of faux-leather, had nicely cushioned tops and of good quality. I just Googled "storage ottomans".

It was perfect for us. The top flipped over, had handles and became a tray. I badly needed someplace to put the laptop, phone, reading glasses, etc., when we were driving, and also liked the extra storage space it provided. Our sweet Lily, however, (who we acquired later) would have no part of something between her and her people, especially me , and would simply jump over it and into my lap. We now leave it behind.

We have two of the sofa-sidekick tables in our stick house, which work well for limited uses. They are a bit unstable, though, if not tucked under a couch or chair, and can topple over rather easily.

Personally, I'd recommend the storage ottoman with a tray lid. When not using it as a table, you can prop up your travel-weary feet and cover up with a blankie you have stored inside.

Maggie