Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Vintage ZipDee chairs?

Does anyone know from what era and model these ZipDee chairs may have come from? I found them in a resale shop this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120606-00078.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	160360

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
There is a listing on on eBay for a Zip Dee lounger that has the same fabric.
The listing says that it is from the 70's.

Here is the eBay link:
Vintage 1970s ZIP DEE Folding Chair w/ Lounger attachment mid century 1970s #1 | eBay
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Was this design ever used in AS? It kinda looks like Argosy colors. Did they come with ZipDee chairs? Did ZipDee sell chairs elsewhere?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I don't know what year, but ZipDee will use any of the fabrics, and they have alot of different fabric colors. So you can get them in other colors. They still sell this exact chair but with wooded arms.

https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=243

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
This is the color chairs that came with the "Limited" trim. The awnings matched the chair color. I have seem some as late as 1980s. I have one extra chair like that and three of the blue ones. Nowdays they want almost $100 each for them. There were some models that were built with stainless steel. They are even rarer and more costly.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
That looks to be the same color and pattern of the chairs and awning material on my '83 310 MH. Rather drab and ugly in my opinion. I sold the chairs with the MH.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Zip-Dee Chairs

Hello all. I bought a pair of stainless steel Zip-Dee chairs in 1990 and they have the same blue and white fabric that my 1988 Excella awning has.
Great chairs but heavy as h...
Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
These chairs do have wooden arms....but are colored black. I though that may date them. I have seen this fabric with both black arms and natural color (varnished). I really want the blue fabric as my PO apparently kept the ZipDee chairs which were original to my Classic. He also kept the 75th Anniversary jacket, which I can find nowhere.

Anybody want to swap some blue ZipDees for these? Or swap fabric?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Anne-Marie and I just got new fabric for two older Zip Dee chairs that her mother gave us. Our old chairs had a similar dated fabric, but they were quite weathered, and I was able to order the burgundy colored fabric to match our existing chairs and awnings. The chairs come in a couple of sizes, so you need to measure the fabric width before calling Zip Dee, and they can walk you through the color choices while on the phone. The cost of the fabric was around $26 each, or so, I can’t find the charge on my bank records, but a bargain over the cost of a new Zip Dee chair at $100 each.

Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, to make things more interesting....I called Zip Dee and there were apparently some knock offs made throughout the years which may not allow for ZipDee fabric to be used on the frame IF what I have is NOT ZipDee. The lady I spoke to had been there for 15 years, but could not definitively tell me, by description if I had ZipDees or not.

Could someone who has ZipDees help me? She stated that the knockoffs had a different diameter tubing. Could someone accurately give me the diameter of their tubing? Preferably with a micrometer.

The other dimensions I need are the distance from the spring seam (on the sitting surface side) to the front edge if the front seat tube AND the distance from that same spring seam to the top of the seat back cross tube.

If any of these dimensions vary from my chairs, I have knockoffs.

If I do, I am sure glad I found them in a resale shop for 1/3 of what the same chair goes for on Ebay AND they do fit well in the fold down table compartment. I'll just have to live with brown and orange maybe.....till I find a sweet deal on Blue and White ZipDees!

Old 06-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Our old chairs have ¾ inch tubing, and I measured the tubes under the armrest with my tape measure, these are the only ones without a cap on the tube end. The seat measurement from the seam to the inside edge of the front tube is 16 1/8 inches, and this is closest point that the fabric touches the tube. The seam to the inside edge of the back top tube is 17 ½ inches. I tossed the old fabric, but I remember it being stretched out a bit, and the springs were a lot more difficult to put onto the new fabric, then they were to remove off of the old fabric.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingbooks View Post
Our old chairs have ¾ inch tubing, and I measured the tubes under the armrest with my tape measure, these are the only ones without a cap on the tube end. The seat measurement from the seam to the inside edge of the front tube is 16 1/8 inches, and this is closest point that the fabric touches the tube. The seam to the inside edge of the back top tube is 17 ½ inches. I tossed the old fabric, but I remember it being stretched out a bit, and the springs were a lot more difficult to put onto the new fabric, then they were to remove off of the old fabric.
Thank you! If I understand you measurements of the seat and back, my chairs are dimensionally the same as yours. But before I order fabric (which is not returnable) could I trouble you for 2 more dimensions?

With the chairs open, what is the distance from the spring seam to the front edge of the front seat tube? Mine is 17".

What is the distance from the spring seam to the top of the seat back tube? Mine is 18 1/2".

Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
From the seam to the front of the tube is 16 7/8 inches and the seam to the top of the tube is 18 ¼ inches. These chairs have only been sat in for 5 minutes and the fabric is new just installed, and the springs are pulled a bit more than with the old fabric. I think new fabric will work for you.

Steve
Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It appears, by the dimensions, that I do have Zip Dee chairs. I'll order the replacement fabric tomorrow. Thanks darlingbooks, for your time.

BTW, I also found out from the Zip Dee folks that they haven't made the stainless frames for some time. She said with the cost of stainless now, the chairs would be over $200.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
We have had the chairs for three winters, and we treated them as disposable chairs, and we have left them outside the every winter in Tucson. The sun had hurt the fabric to the point that I was prepared to toss the chairs, but when I checked the price of replacement chairs, and found out the fabric could be easily be changed out, I chose the new fabric. These are still our knock around chairs, and the nice ones are in the holder in the trailer, and I don’t see us leaving the recovered chairs in the weather as we have in the past. The tubes must be stainless, and the only rust is at the rivets.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I ordered the replacement fabric this morning. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We have some just like that we bought in a camper store in the 70's. Still good chairs.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote