Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
Varmints!

Checked my Airstream unit in storage yesterday and discovered to my dismay that a mouse or rat had somehow invaded my unit which was totally closed up tight and made a mess. The varmit got into the chili powder and scattered it all around. Have to return today and clean up everything. Will be putting out some traps and moth balls. The manger said she had good luck with varmits scattering some moth balls around and then taking them up and airing out the unit before using it and it worked like a charm. Look out for the varmits!
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Varmits are a problem when the trailer is in storage.... we haven't had any, but we have a neighborhood of hungry cats... and I always take all the food type items (even soap) they may want to munch on so they aren't as interested in finding a way in! No matter what I believe it is inevitable especially when camping in the wilds ~ it is amazing where these little fellers find ways to sneak in! Hopefully your traps will work!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Critters

Every year we discuss this....some interesting discussions as well. If you go to firearms most of us felt that one should check shot size for rivet compatibility...that saves on some draft and water issues later

Vermin will get in. Just consider it your personal war...everyone needs a hobby! Nest year I may try some of the creative ethyleneglycol traps or some sort of Rube Goldberg device.

Seriously good luck with the critters, I am replacing blinds this year due to what may be insect damage (round hole??). Try this old forum...it may give you an idea or two. If you come up with good ones, let us all know!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...tml#post457310
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
Varmits

I seem to be rid of them for now. I have four glue traps set and one traditional spring trap. I also put into several small plastic cups a few moth balls and placed those in several locations. The RV Boat Storage yard that I use has received multiple complaints of rodents getting into RV's so I'm not alone. The cold weather and lack of food drives them in. The only place that I can see an entry into the trailer is through the furnace vent.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Good luck getting rid of them - but can I add a caution about using mothballs?

I'm a biologist and work with a large insect collection. Traditionally, we used naphthalene (the primary ingredient in mothballs) in the cabinets to deter pests, but in the recent past we've had to remove all naphthalene because of its presumed carcinogenic effects.

My workplace smells like mothballs regardless of whether we removed it from the cabinets, because it's been used here for decades. I don't smell it anymore, but it's very pervasive, not to mention potentially toxic. We regularly conduct air quality tests to make sure we're under certain limits.

If there are alternate methods, I'd be using those instead of mothballs.

Cheers.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I support not using moth balls - first from the blending of its aroma into all the normal smells forever and its diverse physical properties modifying plastics - especially mattresses, cookware and any/all of the hidden items we overlook like nylons curtain glides and plastic coatings even sheet aluminum clear coat - plus ALL the hidden spaces in trailer that it can be absorbed into setting the enclosed space up to always have an undertone aroma...
Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I use this killer setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	95489