Old 01-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1999 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
Upcoming interior Projects - some questions

The subject is our 1999 Bambi 19'. It currently sits in all original condition, and is certainly showing it's miles on the interior.

First up is the carpet. We're leaning toward some type of laminate click in flooring, or maybe stick down tile vinyl product. The question I have here, is the toilet area.

Our floor has a raised portion for the black tank, and a little jinky trapezoidal doghouse for what is, I guess, the wheel well.

I have not explored pulling up the carpet yet. I am hoping it's all some sort of plywood under. Can anyone answer this?

Does anyone have any experience refinishing this area?

Second most offensive area needing work is our cabinets. We seem to have a vinyl contact paper applied to plywood cabinet doors and panels. About half of the vinyl is coming down.

What is the best approach with this stuff? I can see some of the plywood surface behind the vinyl and it doesn't look too unappealing. Although I have not removed an entire cabinet face. Would it be possible to remove the vinyl, strip the adhesive down, sand and stain/finish the plywood?

Third up is our headliner. (see photo above) Is this what is referred to as mouse fur? We have the misfortune of both the droopy headliner and some spots of fretting aluminum dust staining through. What type of surface is this attached to? If we remove all of the headliner and begin the battle of adhesive removal, what are we removing it from?

Thanks for the advice folks!

mansaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I will comment on the flooring. Remove as much cabinetry as possible mounted to the floor. I had to leave the kitchen sink cabinet but removed the rest in less than an hour with a power screwdriver.

Look closely at any laminate product you are considering. The locking mechanism is most critical when working in a small area. I used Armstrong. When remounting any cabinet that screws to the floor drill a 1 in. hole through the laminate and screw down through those hoes to allow for the float, which I have never seen but planned for anyway. This meant I only had to put molding along the front edge of the kitchen cabinet and at the end close to the door. NO cutting and fitting around small objects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	127_2705.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	202701  
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote