Old 09-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Originally Posted by SonOfAnder View Post
Has anyone ever looked into this stuff for under new flooring?

It is a slim underlayment heat film. Comes in 3'x10' sections that will warm the floor to 85 degrees and draws (from what I was told) only 2.7 amps per sheet. It seems like it might be easy enough to run a heated strip right down the middle of the trailer. I'm just curious if it would be able to keep up if the weather outside really got cold...

I saw it today while browsing Lumber Liquidators for some new floors in my Reno project.
I recently installed a similar product in our master bath under the tile. It feels great on a cold, winter morning, but I don't think it would be effective at heating the room (I like a cooler house, and this radiant mat was a way to keep the wife happy). Also, there is enough draw to trip the GFCI every once in a while, so I would be wary about using it in Airstream. Not to mention the aforementioned possible issues with installing this in a mobile application with lots of vibration and friction.

I had been thinking last fall about using this stuff as a solution for our heating needs, but after a bit of research I am leaning away (rather, I have decided against it). I think there are some worthwhile radiant heat options that involve a diesel or propane water heater and a pump that could work quite well, but the electric-version options just aren't there yet.

That said, the other thing I was thinking about was using this stuff to make a rug that plugs into an outlet (sandwiching the radiant mat between two area rugs, or weaving the heating wire into a low profile rug and throwing another over it). That seems like it could effectively address some of the problems with friction and motion, while keeping your feet warm and toasty. It would also be easier to repair than something embedded in the floor.

25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote