Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Type of aluminum?

Ok, I think I caught a bug. Since stripping the Airstream lettering, pinstripes and Thor badges off my Safari, I got the idea to put an alum backsplash behind the rear sink area where the wallpaper got slightly wet and started to pull away from the wall.

Question is, what type of aluminum is the current backsplash in my kitchen area? Do I get this from the factory or are there other places where can get a small piece, say about 2'x2'?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Your concern about the alum type is to match the kitchen area alum visually, right? Many AS repair shops stock both alum and stainless steel in sheet form. I recently bought SS sheet from my dealer service facility for making an insert for the refrig door in my CCD. Very pleased with the result.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey TWINK,

Why don't you find a shop that outfits restaurants and get a piece if AL or stainless with the pillow embossing that you find in such establishments.

Would make a great looking and functional retro back splash.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks for the tips. Yes, I was looking for a similar visual looking piece of alum. If I didn't already have a smooth backsplash on kitchen wall and alum trim up front, I'd have done the pillow effect, but when in Rome.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
Airstream aluminum

History of Aluminum at Airstream.docBorrowed from Airstream manual
Greg
Greg@AirLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Great info...thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
As someone said before you can get stainless and aluminum from a AS Dealer, however I have used both inside and recommend the aluminium...as it has a skin on it it cleans better, wipes up well and you don't have to deal w/ fingerprints. like the stainless.
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:40 AM   #8

Holland , Michigan
Wall Panel System

The Dri-Design Wall Panel System is an affordable, painted aluminum wall system, dry joint pressure-equalized rain-screen system and architectural panels. Panel manufacturing is highly automated and the installation is fast and simple, making Dri-Design an economical choice. Panels can be made from a Michigan.

Thanks!

http://www.dri-design.com
noquilla is offline   Reply With Quote