Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Twin bed standard sheet?

I plan to build twin beds to replace the center double bed in my Overlander, and am trying to decide on mattress dimensions (and hence, how big to make the bed frames). There are no curves involved.

Researching past posts, one person said a standard twin sheet is 39”X75”, while another said the standard is 38”X75”. One man said his MH dinette bed measures 36”X69”. I was unable to locate any posts regarding how well a standard twin sheet fits an Airstream twin bed . Anyone know how well will a standard twin sheet fits an Airstream twin bed?

I suppose I will probably build to the space available. There were many posts on where to get custom mattresses, and good words for an Ebayer named reigle3 who sells bedding products.

Can anyone share insight into the build-to dimensions for an Airstream twin bed?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Not even close

I owned Overlander with Twins in the middle and I can tell you that the sheets are not even close.

I believe "twins" is merely a reference to two single beds. 'twins" is not a reference to size, (at least in AS's).

This is a picture of the street side bed, It is not real obvious but you may be able to tell that most of the comforter has been tucked under the mattress to achieve a tight fit.

The mattress is barely wider than the pillow

Smily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 010.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	5118  
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
road side

Mirror to the street side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 009.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	5119  
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Twin Sheets

I was told to use sheets made from TeeShirt material,as they tend to stretch to fit. Works perfect. PJ
bswaslien@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Twin bed standard sheet?

Greetings Tom!

Quote:
Can anyone share insight into the build-to dimensions for an Airstream twin bed?
While my Overlander is a '64 rather than a '68, I suspect that the twins were likely very close in size. When I had custom mattresses manufactured for my Overlander, they were 2.75" narrower than the standard twin and 1.75" shorther than the standard twin - - I ended up having the mattresses made 3" narrower and 2" shorter than (the standard twin) so that I would have room to utilize comforters and bedspreads.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Here's a chart of standard bedding dimensions. A residential twin is 39" X 75".

The curved head twins in a 8.5' widebody are supposed to be 34" wide by 78" long, so I'd guess they'd be about 31" wide by 78" long in an 8' wide trailer. If that's the case, a regular twin sheet would be too wide and too short on the rear curved beds.

Can't help with the center beds, but I suspect they're also longer than standard because a bulkhead at the ends prevents feet from hanging over the end, like they can on a 54" X 75" double bed or a 60" by 75" RV queen.