Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Twin bed problem

Has anyone else had trouble with their twin beds? I recently upgraded to a 28ft FC with rear twin beds. No matter how level the trailer both beds seem to slant to the middle. All night long you feel as if you are rolling towards the middle of the trailer. It makes for a very poor night sleep. Not sure if its the lack of support under the mattress or the lack of support in the edge of the mattress. Anyone else experience this?
mwilliamsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I raised the plywood and screwed a two by two length ways on the edge. Raised it just enough.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
My father-in-law always said the problem with twin beds. "it was not the walk over it was the drag back"

Airstreamer 14457 in the 60s-80s

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamsmd View Post
Has anyone else had trouble with their twin beds? I recently upgraded to a 28ft FC with rear twin beds. No matter how level the trailer both beds seem to slant to the middle. All night long you feel as if you are rolling towards the middle of the trailer. It makes for a very poor night sleep. Not sure if its the lack of support under the mattress or the lack of support in the edge of the mattress. Anyone else experience this?
My vote would be a poor mattress. Any OEM RV mattress is going to be a POS. Try replacing one of the two with a higher quality mattress and see if that solves the issue, if it does you can buy a second one. (I assume you already checked the level on the wood frame, right?)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Just got back from a trip in my new 26U with twin beds. I said to my DW one morning that I felt like I was rolling to the centre of the TT. She stated that I was imagining things....could I have been right after all.....
Old 06-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Put a level on them. Might be able to determine if the issue is with the platform or the mattress.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
We've not noticed this issue. We do notice that the mattresses want to shift off the platform which can cause the edge to want to sag a bit, so we make sure they are pushed up against the trailer wall before going to bed.
streamingairheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Just got back from a trip in my new 26U with twin beds. I said to my DW one morning that I felt like I was rolling to the centre of the TT. She stated that I was imagining things....could I have been right after all.....

Yes, you could be right. I took my grandson, who is a rising college senior, camping last week in the Cherokee National Forest. To keep from making bunks every morning we just rolled out sleeping bags on the twin bunks.

During the middle of the night I was getting up to use the head. Now, you know the outside cover of a sleeping bag is usually a slick dacron type fabric. Our form fitted coverlets under the sleeping bag was something similar. Well, I didn't get the zipper down far enough to get my legs out. All of a sudden I was sliding toward the middle. You guessed it. I found myself slowly
descending to the floor. My grandson didn't stir. So, I told him next morning what had happened. He said that it had awakened him. He was kind enough not to laugh at his Grandad.

So, next time at the trailer, I will check the level on the bunks. I have been thinking of making the plywood a couple of inches wider to support the edge of the bunks better. It's hell getting old.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamsmd View Post
This topic came up a year or three ago. I think it was on moosetag's thread about his 25FB twin. It seems Airstream does build some or all of the twin beds with a tilt toward the center aisle. On my 2013 25FB Flying Cloud twin, when I take the mattresses away, I think I see a little tilt, but I have not measured to be sure. When sleeping in my trailer, I do not feel any tilt.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
If we stay in the middle of the mattress no problem, the edge causes rolling!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #11
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
Thank you! I thought I was going crazy! Just purchased my second AS and went from queen in my 27FB to 2016 Serenity 30 with twins. On my street side I've felt like I'm going to roll into the aisle. I've taken two trips so far. Trailer is level, I briefly put a level on the plywood below the mattress. It appeared level. I did notice that the mattress hangs over the plywood a bit. Then I layed down on the other mattress and it did not seem noticeable. The trailer is at the dealer for warranty work :/
When it comes home I'm going to resolve this. I have a feeling it is a mattress issue.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Moose tags had the solution. Maybe he will comment.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post

So, next time at the trailer, I will check the level on the bunks. I have been thinking of making the plywood a couple of inches wider to support the edge of the bunks better. It's hell getting old.
"It's hell getting old....." When you CAN'T get up off the floor!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Yes.

We bought a '16 27' FC FB Twin in November.

We just traded for a used '16 30' FC Queen at Colonial last week.

We did not like the twin beds at all.

The platform is 2" or so narrower than the mattress. I always felt like I was falling out of the bed.

The mattress felt odd, as if it had one spot in the middle. It was if it bent length wise.

I sleep with my arms up, and since the twins are outboard, I always contacted the outer skin of the trailer. Which was uncomfortable if it was cold out.

The Queen bed solves these problems for us, and we like it much much better so far.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We're on our second AS with twins (2011 FC 25'FB and 2015 WB 27') and have not had any issues with the beds being level. We do have the overhang you describe, which does not bother us if the mattress stays tight to the wall. To make that happen, we attached (with thumbtacks) a 5' x 2' strip of rubberized non-slip carpet underlay to the plywood on which the mattress rests; the mattresses stay put now. Others have extended the platform a few inches to support the mattress edge better, but we have not yet seen a need.
Best,
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We've had our '25 FB twin for about 4 months now and have not had the feeling of a tilted mattress. The one thing I do notice is that because the mattress is wider than the platform it sits on, it tends to slide away from the wall a bit. They may be factory mattresses, but we do like the firmness of them and not sure that throwing them out for something better would solve the problem. I really like JayseeJay's idea of putting some non stick material at the edge of the platform to keep the mattress from sliding away from the wall. Might make that an afternoon project in the near future.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Nope. I would agree with the Chihuahua guy AnnArbor and check the base with a level. That is not normal. Scoot the mattress toward the edge.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Just put a level on my AS's floor....as close to level as one could get it. Put the level on the twin bed sheet of plywood...same thing.....level.

Put the mattress back down and it was noticeable out of level and sloping towards the centre aisle. Plopped the level on the mattress and for what it's worth, showed a 2" drop.

Cheap mattress or is the overhang the problem?

Need to follow some of the suggestions and raise the inner edge of the plywood or add an extension to the frame...Or both?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #19
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
Before I read this thread last week,I had a feeling that the mattress was weak in the middle, for some reason.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
For some reason they have a slight angle toward center of trailer. Moosetags I think offered this suggestion which I copied on mine and it resolved the issue perfectly. Remove the screws holding the platform in around the aisle side and loosen or remove the ones on side and center. May need to buy longer screws depending on what you have to use to level the platform. At many of the big box stores they have some tiles that vary in thickness. I actually used some vinyl adhesive tiles, cut some strips off of them about an inch wide and layer them down on base between the platform and base. It raised the platform to level. Put the screws back in and problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote