Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fairfax , California
Twin bed modification to walk around queen

Hello all,
I new here and need information on converting a twin to walk around queen.
Is there anyone out there that has done this successful?
Thank,
Rivithead
Rivithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and glad to meet you. It would be helpful if you would post the year, length and model of your Airstream. How much room do you have? A walkaround queen won't fit in a 16 foot Bambi.

You might want to look at your year and model floorplans available at Airstream.com, then Service, and then Documentation. Airstream has posted a lot of brochures and layouts for the different years and models. You might find a queen bed layout that fits into your trailer.

And then the fun begins. There are a lot of things to consider. But many folks on these forums have completely remodeled their Airstreams. It can be done for sure. If you don't have to relocate a bathroom, or any of the bulkhead walls, your project will be significantly less complex.

Sketch up what you are thinking, and then start working the details, down to the inch.

We're building a new U shaped dinette that makes into a double bed in the 69 Globetrotter. The sketch of the plan is vital. That was finalized tonight and we will start cutting wood tomorrow. Fun.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Twin to biggish double?

http://www.wayfair.com/Wallbeds-Cont...7-WLB1147.html

The SOB - square old box trailers could use a murphy bed easier than an Airsteam or Avion, but start there and consider. You could adapt one twin with drawer slides to slide across the aisle and mate up with the other one, OR you could make a cabinet top for one bed, and remove the other. (think about a drill bit case). The top of the cabinet flips open and there's a mattress strapped under it. You've got a bigger bed you make by closing the cabinet in the morning.

Twins aren't "romantic" for some people, but the easy access to storage underneath them, and the ease of making the narrower bed - and two separate living areas - when he want's to watch football with his buddies and you want to hold a quilting fabric swap - well there are some real advantages. Sometimes sleeping apart has advantages - using the bathroom without having to crawl over your partner, not having all the blankets yanked off by a sleeping spouse who is tossing and turning.

Paula
Old 01-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fairfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hi and glad to meet you. It would be helpful if you would post the year, length and model of your Airstream. How much room do you have? A walkaround queen won't fit in a 16 foot Bambi.

You might want to look at your year and model floorplans available at Airstream.com, then Service, and then Documentation. Airstream has posted a lot of brochures and layouts for the different years and models. You might find a queen bed layout that fits into your trailer.

And then the fun begins. There are a lot of things to consider. But many folks on these forums have completely remodeled their Airstreams. It can be done for sure. If you don't have to relocate a bathroom, or any of the bulkhead walls, your project will be significantly less complex.

Sketch up what you are thinking, and then start working the details, down to the inch.

We're building a new U shaped dinette that makes into a double bed in the 69 Globetrotter. The sketch of the plan is vital. That was finalized tonight and we will start cutting wood tomorrow. Fun.

David
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your information I really appreciate it.
The model is 2006 safari 25 se.
Thanks for the tip of looking at the floor plans.
I'll check it out.
Thanks again.....
Rivithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
Hi and welcome. My 65 sovereign had twins with factory bunks suspended from cables above. Up front the PO installed a trundle bed with two twins available when needed. When tucked under it makes a great couch with thick bolsters behind. The steel frames with springs are not too heavy.
The set up did not disrupt the cabinet under the front window or the fresh tank inside. When both beds are out you can still walk through the door and the folding dining table still works as designed. Modifications are minimal and allow returning to stock when desired but the more I use it the better I like all the room and the ability to use a real/standard size mattress. A lot less work than converting. Of course this depends on your layout and preferences.

Your 2006 should be convertible but look for drains, water heater and external doors that might be visible once the twins are removed.

Have you thought about simply removing the nightstand, if equipped, and adding a filler to connect the twins?
Make one giant bed albeit hard to make and somewhat difficult to access.
The upsides: less work up front with the ability to return to twins when needed. This includes resale time.

SOB: I always thought this meant Some Other Brand
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
Our 67Sovereign has what is called twin beds in the middle or the trailer w/ bath in th rear and a couch bed = to a double in the front couch. No standard bed stuff fits anything, so making changes would e welcome but changing the middle sleeping system would close off the bathroom, I thank God for due to being able to seat and not have my knees up against my chest as it is in our 5th wheel and our little R-pod.
I can not believe all the space and storage as AS
Old 01-16-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
Sorry, some how got cut off and sent before editing and finishing the above message.
I can not believe all the space and storage areas in an AS with no slides. I know the outside is a modern work of art, but the practical use of living space in an AS still amazes me, some one did there home work on these babies and I see why there are so many devoted fans. I would like to hear from65 Streamer on their front bed set up, sounds great.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
My existing Bambi bed is very difficult to make up, so I insist on a bit of space on sides of bed in my next AS (Also easier to find sheets for short queen, or full, instead of custom sheets for the rounded corner mattress.
mbutterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Short queen or full

Hoping to close deal on used AS with twins, and plan to do same. Planning on installing 'short queen' (60x75) sideways in rear BR, after building new pedestal. BR is (about) 91 wide x 82 long, will allow very narrow walk around (11" sides of bed, 16" at foot'. I could consider a full mattress (54x75) if I want 3 more inches walk around on sides.
mbutterfield is offline   Reply With Quote