Old 02-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
San Bernardino , California
If you are using West System Epoxy it will not cure when the temperature drops below 50 degrees and will set up to rapidly even with the slow hardner if the temperature is above 80 degrees.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Epoxy

There are several types of epoxy products:
1.Epoxy Resin- Use like polyester resin with fiberglass cloth or mats for big repairs. Usually for boat supply dealers.
2.Epoxy Paste/ Putty- also for repair of holes, cracks etc. Hardware store stuff
3. Epoxy Paint- for a hard durable finish. Building Supply stores.

Tough as Tile is an epoxy paint. I literally just finished an Airstream project with it. My fingers match my ivory keyboard. People have said it looks good and I agree. It goes a long way too. I bought a pint for my lavaratte in my Tradwind hoping I had enough. Not only did I have enough. But enough to do most of my bathroom in my Sovereign, 2 coats. Make sure to use a respirator and have ventilation. I did, but still have a good headache right now!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Concord , North Carolina
I am wondering if anyone relizes that the type of material used in the older Airstreams was an ABS composite. Fiberglass it isn't and I'm wondering if while your traveling down the road it may not take to the bumps so well. I redid mine with a product I bought at Lowes made for refinishing ABS plastic. It came out very well even though I used a brush and not my spayer. If I had a digital camera I would post some shots but alas I don't.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
Could you come and do mine, free parking and smoked meat's. Also have a pond for fishing.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Refinishing the ABS Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitairenc
I am wondering if anyone relizes that the type of material used in the older Airstreams was an ABS composite. Fiberglass it isn't and I'm wondering if while your traveling down the road it may not take to the bumps so well. I redid mine with a product I bought at Lowes made for refinishing ABS plastic. It came out very well even though I used a brush and not my spayer. If I had a digital camera I would post some shots but alas I don't.
I have seen the work that Pizzachop did on his 27 Overlander. It looked great and there are pics in one of his threads.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Here are some links:

Overlander bath

Sovereign bath

Application (spraying not necessary)

Finished pieces
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #21
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
HI starting to refinish my tub etc. Looked on the internet, Rustoleum has a tub and sink kit, could not find it locally, but ACE Hardware carries Klenks Fiberglass and Plastic tub refinish kit, looks good, hope it works. Again prep is the key, guy at ACE said give it a bath with Muric Acid first, then follow the instructions with the kit. Kit went for around $38 Also remove ANY silicon rubber..messes the job up good.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Tough as Tile 6 months later

Update: The cracks I "fixed" on my 71 lavarette with polyester resin opened and caused some hairline cracks. It looks to me like a problem with the polyester resin having a different shinkage/expansion rate than the original material making up the sink and counter and not the Tough as Tile epoxy paint itself.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Marshall,

I had the same problem in my Sovereign. It happened during a really cold spell. Kinda bummed me out a bit!
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Camoflage and other sneaky period fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
Marshall,

I had the same problem in my Sovereign. It happened during a really cold spell. Kinda bummed me out a bit!
Ron,
I don't know if I want to get more epoxy paint for a few cracks. Still looks a whole lot better than before. Let me know if you figure out a fix. Maybe a formica insert or some of those 70s hippy flower power decals commonly observed on Volkswagen Microbuses of the era.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitairenc
Dear Pizza and Lum, do you think the cracks could be related to the material actually being ABS and not fiberglas? I'm about to repair mine and would really like to use the correct stuff from the beginning.
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
Dear Pizza and Lum, do you think the cracks could be related to the material actually being ABS and not fiberglas? I'm about to repair mine and would really like to use the correct stuff from the beginning.
The problem did not seem to be with the epoxy paint as with the fiberglass resin I used to repair cracks in the ABS base material. I suspect as the fiberglass cured it expanded causing the cracks. The cracks are more cosmetic than integral. On the uncracked areas the epoxy paint was fine on the ABS.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
Hi potochop; My 1973 Argosy has ABS tub, not fiberglass. You cannot gel coat ABS because gel coat cannot shrink and expand at the rate ABS does.
I have used a product by DEVCON Seal-n-Place repair kit. I will post details as soon as time allows. At this time the tub is being professionally resurfaced with acrylic finish. Will post pics and info possibly tomorrow. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just spoke to a fiberglass pro today and he shared a great deal of knowlege. ABS and fiberglass are two totally different things. You will know the difference easily for you can see the fibers on the back of the fiberglass. The ABS will be smooth front and back. Epoxy and epoxy paints will stick to both, but will only truly bond to the ABS. The acrylic plastic paints and epoxy paints flex with the plastic and that is why they work in that application. To fix the fiberglass tubs you should not use West system, System One, or other epoxys. You should use polyester resin. The polyester resin and hardners work exactly like the epoxy except they bond to the fiberglass. I actually becomes fused together to make one mass. The gel coat is a top coat that also fuses on and gives the color and shine. The disadvantage of gel coat is it is not flexible and as the tub moves, it cracks the gel coat surface. To compensate for this more layers of fiberglass mat can be added to the back sides of the tub to give it more strength and less flex. Bondo is polyester and bonds perfectly. At the orange box they sell it with chopped fiber in it which works great for filling large areas. The resin can be skimmed over the surface to fill in the fine cracks. Hope this helps clears up a little confusion.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote