Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
tub refinish questions

I gutted a 66 Overlander Twin to replace the rear floor section. The tub and rear sink are in good shape but are in need on refinishing. I am thinking of using POR 15 WhiteCote. Am I better off to refinish the tub, then install it, or install first and refinish later. I don't know how brittle this finish is. I am concerned about cracking it during installation. And what are the pros and cons of brushing vs. spraying the Whitecote? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
project66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
We used products like this in our business and were always disappointed. My suggestion replace it now with new and enjoy it later. But in a A.S. this product might perform well because your use is not as heavy as a home. Good luck! Post photos would love to see it.

2007 25' FB International CCD Solar
2019 Toyota Tundra
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I used the Por-15 whitecote in my Bambi II shower/black tank refurb. I did all the work with it out of the trailer & installed it after it was finished. I've done a lot of work around it, so tools, etc. have been in it. I should have covered it with some heavy cardboard, because I think I dropped something in it & made a little mark in it. Nothing bad, I'm just a bit anal about stuff! I'll probably give it a quick coat when I'm finished working in there. I used a brush for the application. It is very thin & you have to be very careful of runs. I had a bunch of runs & had to sand it down after it got hard. I made small batches & gave it numerous coats. I'm happy with how it turned out. It's not brittle as of now. If you don't have to bondo or fiberglass anything, you could do it in place. I don't know why not.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03465.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	158763

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
So does this stuff fix/fill cracks or is this just to give a new finish?
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSmith View Post
So does this stuff fix/fill cracks or is this just to give a new finish?
It doesn't fix/fill cracks. I used bondo and fiberglass to fix/fill. I sanded it down till it was smooth & then painted with the product by Por-15.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Most of the 60's/early 70's shower pans have way too much resin with the color sprayed into the mold before the fiberglass was applied. The resin cracks and needs to be ground out and a layer of fiberglass cloth and resin applied. If you do this you can save most all shower pans.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
USN Avionics Tech QA Insp

Vintage Kin Owner
Morristown (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area) , Tennessee
What is the material that is used to make the sink, counter, and tub? Mine are in great condition, but I would like to change color and don't know what product to use.
LarryGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
In my 68, the tube is fiberglass with a gelcoat layer on top while the lav was plastic (ABS maybe). Two very different materials. First it will be much easier to paint them outside the trailer. I used a product I bought at Sherwin-Williams called Tile Doc. It is a two part epoxy paint designed to paint tile and bath tubs. The instructions said you could brush it but I did not like the results. Instead I purchased a PreVal sprayer (Preval — Preval Val-Pak) at my local NAPA store and sprayed the product on the tub and lav. I needed to thin the paint a little more and used several light coats. The results were outstanding and very durable.Surface prep is the key to any paint job. I used West System Epoxy with microballons add as a filler to fix defects in the surfaces before painting. I would do the same thing again. I had a few runs on the tub. I just let the paint dry a few days and then wet sanded the runs with carbide paper and lightly misted another coat. It blended great. Word of caution, the fumes are very dangerous. Buy and use a good breathing mask that is certified for volatile organic fumes (carbon filters) and do it in a very well ventilated area.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How much did this paint cost?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Marble Falls , Texas
Can you get these out without destroying them? What about other tubs etc.?
1973 Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
tub refinish questions

Greetings 1973 Owner!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 Owner View Post
Can you get these out without destroying them? What about other tubs etc.?

All interior furnishings entered your Airstream through the entry door so it is possible to remove any of the interior furnishings. The general recommendation is to reverse the factory installation scheme . . . installation began at the rear and worked forward . . . so removal begins at the front and works to the rear. Removing just the bath components typically requires removing most of the bedroom furniture first.

Since the floor in my Overlander was sound, I didn't want to remove the interior compoenets to refinish the bathroom. Not being good with spray painting equipment, I sought out a professional bathroom refinisher to refinish my coach's bathroom. I was fortunate to find one who happened to be a collector car hobbyist who offered me a great price of less than $500 for the complete job. The transformation was amazing . . . from stained Avacado Green to a much warmer feeling Antique Pewter finish. The before and after photos are below:

Above -- Bathtub before Refinishing

Below -- Bathtub after Refinishing

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote