Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question Trim around interior panels

Hello everyone.. We have completed the floor and underbelly and now will be putting in the interior panels again.. the edging that goes around the interior panels is plastic and very brittle and is broken in many places.. What have the rest of you been using to replace this with.. ??? Thanks Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I have kept track of someone here who had ordered this from Inland, but as yet has not done the replacement (have PM'd them on occasion to check), because we too want to do. They called it "nose trim". If you do end up replacing soon, I would like to know how it goes. We ended up doing several other very necessary things first and looks like the Univolt and axle are going to come up next in line. Let me know...

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
A possible source...

Are you talking about the trim around things like the vista windows or the trim around the inner panels where they overlap the end caps?

If it is the vista window trim I ordered some from Inland but have not yet installed it. What they sent me seems to be a bit fatter than what was there before. If I were to do it again I think I would use some trim that I found at GI Joes the other day. The stuff I found is a small c-shaped trim strip that comes in rolls of something like 25' long. It was being packaged and sold as an automotive door edge trim/guard. I bought some to use around the exterior wheel wells when I replaced some of the bananna wrap. The trim I got was shiny chrome color plastic with some kind of adhesive in the bottom of the channel that is designed to keep the trim strip in place once it is pushed into place. It went on very neatly with a little taping with a rubber mallet and looks great. I think it would be a great choice for around vista windows and such inside an AS. I think it may also be available in other colors but I am not sure. Try auto parts stores and see what you think.

If it is the trim that goes around end of the side panels where they overlap the end caps then I think Inland called that something like j-channel. I did not order any since Inland was out of it at the time. I talked with Andy about it and he felt that it was optional whether I replaced it or left it off. I have so far intended to leave it off when I put my skins back in but I think I might consider using the same type of trim I mentioned above. I need to see if it is a bit too thick on the back side to work. I don't think so but I will have to try out a piece left over from my wheel wells.

I hope this helps,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote