Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Total Renovation... Must Haves???

I want everyone's most important feature of their Airstream. I also want to know what you'd do different if you could do it over. I'd like to hear about everything from pots and pans to sewer hoses. I'm also looking for brand name of quality system components. I'm in the planning stages of a total frame up restoration. I want to cover everything. It will be a 20' Liner for me my wife and 2 small girls for 4 day type trips.

Thanks in advance
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
There are many threads regarding this subject....I know I did one on renovating a vintage rig to modern.

Living in Missouri, I will NOT camp without Air Conditioning.

Due to the classic nature of your trailer, I would not add one on top of it. There are many split system AC units, and even an underbunk AC unit that will work. Done properly, even a window unit can be fabricated into the trailer.

Steve
Old 03-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Total Renoation... Must Haves???

Greetings oldtrucksrul!

I have made few significant changes to either of my coaches, but four signficant changes to my Overlander are among my favorites. The first is a Dometic 3-Way RV refrigerator -- no more worries about the refrigerator while traveling or refueling -- it even has AES (Automatic Energy Selector) so it automatically switches over to DC operation when the 120 Volt AC and LP Gas are disconnected. I had this change made nearly ten years ago and wouldn't consider any other refrigerator. The second modification was the addition of solar panels and a DC Inverter system with three AGM batteries on the Overlander -- it makes long-term travel a pleasure, and makes the option of boondocking more palatable. The third was having custom mattresses manufactured for the center twin beds -- the comfort level is as good or better than the bedroom furniture in my home. The fourth was replacing the two factory roof vents with Fantastic Vents with thermostat, rain sensor, and thre speeds -- with one operating on intake and the other operating in exhaust mode, the interior can be kept acceptably comfortable under most circumstances.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Simple, much beefier frame. Maybe especially true with yours.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Jim,

I'll be going back with a completely new "ladder" frame. Does anyone have data on Aluminum stock vs. Steel for construction. Weight and Cost?
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Good lighting was important to us for evening/inclement weather reading, but lights that also didn't kill the battery in short order when boon docking.

Sufficient drawer and closet space. There are so many little areas that can be effectively used, and access made relatively easy, in a build out. No space should be unused effectively for quick access or for the longer term things you need to have along "just in case"

Detectors properly situated - smoke, propane, carbon monoxide, and along with that fire extinguishers (the right kind) in easy to access areas in front and rear.

An escape route in case of fire so windows that can be popped out quickly if needed. Stuff happens, build it to be as safe as you can inside.

Quality locks on the door. When you are out camping and gone for a while from your trailer you want to make sure what you left inside is still there when you get back. A burglar alarm might be a nice option, I wish I'd of built one into my trailer but next time.

Sufficient 120v plug in's.

An easy way to level and secure the trailer - this could be brackets on the frame that you slide your corner stands into, or ones that are built in.

Make sure when you build it that you can put a decent sized wheel and tire on it and that they are relatively easy to remove when sitting on the side of the road changing a flat tire. I'm a fan of making sure the bolt pattern is the same as my TV so I can share a spare tire if I have to. It's relatively nothing to have the bolt pattern of the trailer changed while the new axle is out.

Ventilation when you want it and none when you don't. Good opening windows with screens but they need to also have good seals to keep the weather out too.

We'll be watching for pictures of the build out as it happens. Good luck with your search for a builder.

Barry