Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Tongue Weight Changes After Twin Conversion?

We are considering converting our queen bed to twin beds in our 2008 Classic 25fb. I'm concerned this conversion may add more tongue weight.

Can anyone who has performed the conversion know their before and after tongue weight?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 07-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
IMHO, the weight difference (net gain) will be small and not enough to change your center of gravity. If there is a large difference, you could install ballast forward or aft as needed to compensate. I wouldn't think there would be a problem.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
This will vary by the materials used. I added 50lbs because of this. I had a cabinet maker do the job, and he made them as though he was making furniture, heave stuff. Hard to have him change once done. Did a great job, even matched the laminate.

Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Corpsman, don t say too loud as my wife thought she could pack more stuff!
Lol

Muke
Old 07-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Spell check corrected Mike to Muke?? Mike is correct
Old 07-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
This is a very simple thing to calculate if you plan thoroughly. All that needs to known is the weight of the material to be removed, the weight if the material to be added, and the before and after center of gravity of the material. As I envision it, the center of gravity of your bed is probably not going to change either, if the base of your bed will have four sides and be the same length as the old one. It may be the center of the bed.

You could either weigh the material as you take it out. and weigh the new material as you put it in, or the weight of common construction materials is available online if you don't want to weigh it. Then find someone who has studied physics and understands levers and calculate it in advance.

The other method would be to buy a tongue weight scale ( good thing to have anyway) and measure the tongue weight before and after. If you don't like the new weight (which will likely be higher, then pack more of your heavy stuff to the rear until you are satisfied.

Adding ballast is not a good solution, unless you carry nearly no cargo whatsoever that can be moved fore or aft.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3ubmhbug0v_b

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm hoping most of the bed frame and the pull out drawer could be used. The converter would probably be only moved off to the side. The drawers under the hanging wardrobe would have to be cut away but hopefully used under the night stand that has to be built between the beds. I guess this is where some additional weight could be transferred closer to the tongue. I could get two AGM batteries and have them placed under the curb twin bed adjacent to the converter.

The twin bed frame tops could possibly use some of the queen bed mattress base plywood.

I have a Sherline scale. Right now I'm between 1100lbs and 1200lbs measured from the jack post.

I also plan to have the carpet removed from the bedroom area and new vinyl installed throughout the trailer since some of it is buckling in the kitchen and dinette areas due to cold weather storage.
Kelvin
Old 07-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I'm hoping most of the bed frame and the pull out drawer could be used. The converter would probably be only moved off to the side. The drawers under the hanging wardrobe would have to be cut away but hopefully used under the night stand that has to be built between the beds. I guess this is where some additional weight could be transferred closer to the tongue. I could get two AGM batteries and have them placed under the curb twin bed adjacent to the converter.

The twin bed frame tops could possibly use some of the queen bed mattress base plywood.

I have a Sherline scale. Right now I'm between 1100lbs and 1200lbs measured from the jack post.

I also plan to have the carpet removed from the bedroom area and new vinyl installed throughout the trailer since some of it is buckling in the kitchen and dinette areas due to cold weather storage.
Kelvin
Where are your batteries now?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I made that conversion in a rear-bedroom Classic. The bed change is a wash as far as weight. The only major item is the between-bed cabinet weight vs any cabinets taken out. Unless the between-bed cabinet is an overbuilt boat anchor, I would not worry.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Where are your batteries now?
On my 25fb in a battery compartment on the A frame behind the propane tanks. Two Interstate grp 27 live there now. Will have to move to AGMs if I want them inside the trailer under the twin bed.

Kelvin
Old 07-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Twin beds can be built very light. You only need a partial frame, on the aisle side to support a 1/2" plywood platform, and make this frame from your queen bed material, including the drawer. Add more storage by leaving openings to slide in nice quality, but lightweight storage boxes, not the plastic bins. The dinette seating in our 2012 FC 25 RB had a few aluminum "L" brackets screwed into the aluminum wall holding up the back side, this will do.

Get fancy and hinge part of the bed platforms, attach a 12vdc electric lift so you can elevate it to read in bed. Make on bed wider than the other so you snuggle with mama on a cold night. Lots of possibilities.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We lost weight with our setup, we used less material for starters than what we took out.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
On my 25fb in a battery compartment on the A frame behind the propane tanks. Two Interstate grp 27 live there now. Will have to move to AGMs if I want them inside the trailer under the twin bed.

Kelvin
In my previous SOB, I had batteries under the dinette. However, they were in a well sealed box vented to the outside.

Ken
Old 07-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Friends of ours had their 27 FB converted to twins by the dealer. They used most of the existing cabinetry to build a new center night table and lockers each side. Overall they now have less hanging cupboard and bedroom counter space so over all so any extra weight from the frame under the new bed will be mostly offset by the loss in heavy lost particleboard or wood cabinets. My guess is we probably shift tongue weight more by the normal changes in stuff while traveling. It is probably not too big a job to weigh materials in and out to get a ball park idea.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
After converting to twins on our 25 ft 06 Safari witch 2 separate ways of the tounge measuring it's about the same. We also reused most of the material from the original set up. We had extra wood and also used new wood so I guess it's a wash out. We haven't noticed and change in towing. But really like the set upClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1436475293.151708.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	242507

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #16
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Corpsman, don t say too loud as my wife thought she could pack more stuff!
Lol

Muke
Your wife lets you pack a bag? Shoes, make-up mirror, accessories and I get whats left over.....I'm no stranger to living out of a seabag, or backpack. Got to keep em happy!
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I took the opportunity of making the between-bed cabinet taller do that I could install 3 drawers. A big drawer at the bottom for blankets and the like, with a drawer for each of us above. The top of the cabinet comes slightly above the window, but I shortened the top drawer slightly so that the curtain goes behind the cabinet. It is really nice to have our individual drawers.

The twin conversion is almost the best thing I have done on the trailer. We both sleep better and it has made the trailer so much more roomy. The best thing I have done is to replace the couch with two recliners. We have a two-person trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00784.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	242535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00785.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	242536  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

John,

You do nice work. We are happy with our Queen, but your bedroom looks better than stock.

Ken