Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'm 6' and i'm fine with the headroom. my shower has a bench (wheel well). since you're doing a custom job cane they build a bigger shower box and borrow a few aisle inches?

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
take a look at winnabago's lesharo(don't buy 1) or the newer rialta they have the pull up floor and a small impeller pump to pull the water out, walls pull out, an internal slide out. this save space in walkway and lets you still have a real shower & privacy.
probably where the idea of a lift up floor came from, winn. has had them since 85

Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #31
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Do yo have pictures of your bathroom remod? We have a 1971 27 ft and the current shower is too small for Roman who is 6'4"!

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post

... but here's the question. Do we really a need a shower?

During our extended trip, we expect to spend most nights in campgrounds (with shower facilities).

Up until the purchase of our Bambi we were continuous users of the "public shower" through 30 years of tenting and pop-up travels with and without kids in all kinds of campgrounds. There are 4 kinds of public facilities:
  1. Exceptionally Clean: these are a real treat - but unfortunately - this group doesn't make up the majority of public washrooms that are out there.
  2. OK: this category is probably the largest - but they still ain't like home ...
  3. Needs a Cleaning: another large category - particularly in a busy campground a few hours before the scheduled cleaning ....
  4. Truly Disgusting: not a large category - but happens often enough - and this campground is one you will leave early (your wife will make you) and then remove it from your list of places to ever visit again.
The point here is that your own facilities can make a heck of a difference in your camping enjoyment - particularly for your wife (at least in our case).

If you choose not to put in a shower you've limited your options - no choice but to use public facilities and you may have also diminished the desirability of your trailer for potential buyers.

If you choose to put in a shower there is no saying that you still can't use public facilities where they meet your own standards of elbow room and cleanliness.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A "Slide IN" perhaps?

I fulltime and use the trailer's shower a lot! Even when I'm in my home campground which has nice showers, I tend to bathe at odd hours and just get too many flashbacks to Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" to feel comfortable using a public shower at night.

In many big box hardware stores, I've seen a flip-out, flip-in shower curtain - curved, that allows you to get a few more inches of butt room, then flip the curve inward after you exit the shower so everything drips in the shower pan. Wouldn't it be possible to have a shower pan that actually flips UP against the outside wall, and flips down when needed, with either curtains or some kind of extending panels that go partway into the hall to have a roomy shower? When you're done, fold everything back to minimize the footprint.

BTW here's a really POSSIBLE idea. The French make a public loo with the toilet on HINGES, it folds back into the wall, opening the drain to flush, while an automated sprayer sanitizes the seat and bowl (one piece stainless steel), then the bowl is blown dry and can fold back down for the next use. Lots of very good neoprene gaskets and seals are involved, but could you imagine a wet bath with a fold up toilet and sink for max space to shower?

Paula
Old 05-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
On a related topic...

Exhaust fans for the bathroom & shower. My stock fans sound like a Navy F-16 taking off, does anyone make quiet fans for bathrooms? Of course a big ditto for the kitchen hood fan.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
If you're looking for more room for a shower, you might look at how some of the B vans have done their showers. They are quite clever . They open with a door out into the "hallway" or central area of the trailer, and there's a drain in the center of the floor there for the shower. You have more room to shower, everything folds back into the bathroom for storage. It might be something you could incorporate or futz with to work in your trailer. What I like about some of them is that you don't have a "wet" bathroom as a result of the design.
Kay
Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
One of the things I enjoy most

I love to be able to shower and use the toilet in our trailer. Yes, sometimes we will use campground facilities (if we don't have a sewer hookup and we are going to be there several days) but having our own is one of things I enjoy most about having our Airstream.....as well as having our own bed and linens.....and being able to cook healthy food on the road. We kept our rear bath and it works well for us. The pre 1969 trailers are narrower than later ones and I was afraid a mid bath might be too small.....maybe not, I really didn't pursue it because we would have needed to change the windows and other stuff. We also have a tankless water heater so if we have hookups we have endless hot water....until the propane tank is empty. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
BTW here's a really POSSIBLE idea. The French make a public loo with the toilet on HINGES, it folds back into the wall, opening the drain to flush, while an automated sprayer sanitizes the seat and bowl (one piece stainless steel), then the bowl is blown dry and can fold back down for the next use. Lots of very good neoprene gaskets and seals are involved, but could you imagine a wet bath with a fold up toilet and sink for max space to shower?

Paula
When I was kid, back in the dark ages, my dad looked at a motor home that had a fold up sink and fold up toilet leaving the entire bathroom floor area as a larger than usual shower. I have no idea who made it or if they are still available. I do recall that the units were quiet expensive for the day and that may have led to their demise.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I had forgotten about this thread. COMNAVSPOUSPAC (Commander, Naval Spouse Pacific) decided we needed a shower. I'm fabricating a bench seat over the starboard wheel well. While the design will allow a standing shower, there's more room if one sits on the bench seat. There's a drain directly into the new gray water tanks in the floor. The key design challenges are... keeping the balance of the head (bathroom) dry, designing and fabricating a floor pan, keeping the natural light of the window without creating an ad hoc "peep show, " etc. We could have gained a few feet of space, but the shower will do "double duty" as a hanging area for damp towels, bathing suits, etc.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
COMNAVSPOUSPAC
Iím sure a number of us knew immediately who this title belongs to before reading in the parenthesis. Both Kay and I did! Are you COMNAVSLAVPAC? I would be if I lived on the Pacific coast. Somehow COMNAVSLAVMN just dosen't sound right...

Chris
Old 05-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I'm more the CNO... Chief of Nonessential Operations.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Philadelphia PA, and Takoma Park MD
Send a message via AIM to roadtrip07
I'm thinking about not reinstalling the shower in my 63 Bambi. its currently gutted, and the wet bath in that thing is tiny anyway. does this make sense??
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My camping background includes many years of VW campers. So, no you don't need a shower. Use campground facilities when suitable, and a sponge bath when not.

But, we like having a shower available in the Airstream.