Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 27
To remove the bathroom or to spend lots of money on a completely new one??

We have started the careful gutting process but we can't seem to agree on whether we need the bathroom or the space..we have 3 children and our trailer isn't as big as I would have liked (but was super affordable for my husband's dream of owning a vintage airstream) the idea is to put the kids in the back area...opinions welcome!!!!!
__________________

__________________
jakeandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Belegedhel's Avatar
 
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,202
What year and model of trailer do you have?

Well, in my opinion. A "full" sized bathroom is one of the features that I find particularly nice about a trailer. It makes it possible to use your own bathroom as you travel, rather than dealing with the nasty truck stops and rest areas. You don't have to leave the trailer in the middle of the night when nature calls, and you actually have a room with a little privacy, which you might find really valuable with 3 kids in the trailer.

Perhaps there are other options for accommodating the whole family. Some folks have rigged up bunk beds to accomplish this.

Another thing to consider is that if/when you decide to sell the trailer (perhaps to get a bigger one), a potential buyer will very likely appreciate having a bathroom. We all realize that there is next to no chance of making money selling a trailer, but there is no sense in accelerating the losses!

good luck!
__________________

__________________
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,767
Images: 12
I can't imagine a travel trailer (or any RV) without an on-board bathroom.

I suspect that if you did this you would be very disappointed after your first trip and then find it basically impossible to sell the trailer to get one that did have a bathroom.

I would put the bathroom in and figure out some other way to accommodate the kids. Some people will have a couple of their kids sleep in a tent next to the trailer and in cases of really bad weather bring them inside and let them sleep on the floor.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
What year and model of trailer do you have?

Well, in my opinion. A "full" sized bathroom is one of the features that I find particularly nice about a trailer. It makes it possible to use your own bathroom as you travel, rather than dealing with the nasty truck stops and rest areas. You don't have to leave the trailer in the middle of the night when nature calls, and you actually have a room with a little privacy, which you might find really valuable with 3 kids in the trailer.

Perhaps there are other options for accommodating the whole family. Some folks have rigged up bunk beds to accomplish this.

Another thing to consider is that if/when you decide to sell the trailer (perhaps to get a bigger one), a potential buyer will very likely appreciate having a bathroom. We all realize that there is next to no chance of making money selling a trailer, but there is no sense in accelerating the losses!

good luck!
It's a 1973 trailwind land yacht I was thinking maybe putting a composting toilet until I saw the prices....
__________________
jakeandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 27
We have been talking bunk beds for the kids and we're going back and forth on the bathroom thing mainly because we would have to get a new hot water heater new shower new blackwater tank and new toilet....
__________________
jakeandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,767
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandkate View Post
It's a 1973 trailwind land yacht I was thinking maybe putting a composting toilet until I saw the prices....
I don't see how a composting toilet saves you any space over a conventional RV toilet, still need a dedicated room, a place for the toilet, sink, shower, etc...
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 27
So would doing away with the shower and keeping the toilet be dumb? I've noticed alot of campgrounds have shower houses...
__________________
jakeandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,767
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandkate View Post
We have been talking bunk beds for the kids and we're going back and forth on the bathroom thing mainly because we would have to get a new hot water heater new shower new blackwater tank and new toilet....
Sounds to me like you have a "fixer upper" and are just starting to realize that it's going to take a major investment to get it working properly. This is a very common experience among newbies who buy an old trailer hoping to get it up and running on a tight budget only to discover that the true cost is way more than they imagined.

If your budget is causing you to consider a trailer with no water capability on board, then you are basically looking at an aluminum tent. If this is the case, you might as well save yourself a lot of money and grief and just get a real tent and enjoy camping with the family without the stress and hassle of an expensive restoration.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 27
Well its a slow remodel we aren't rushing or anything just trying to figure out how much to put into it and what we need versus what we want...
__________________
jakeandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
There is at least one member here who has a lightweight slide in camper on a pickup for the kids and it pulls an Airstream behind. This way you can fix up the trailer like you want and put the kids in the truck camper.

How long is this trailer? You can put bunks in the center and the parents can sleep up front.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
DaveFL's Avatar
 
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,479
Images: 15
Age and type of kids, we took gkids on 1000+ trip, first with boys, they had their own tent and still talk about the great trip, did the same trip with g-daughter no tent(we had moved up to bigger rv) all campgrounds had to have a pool, served same type meals, boys marveled gma could still cook in rv like they were used too. Girl on arriving at her home and still to this day sayes how she likes motels and room service not a camper. So back to your problem, bunks designated storage and dry conditions or tents with the call of the wild (spiders, rain, snakes, wet sleeping bags, palmetto bugs and coconut rats if in the south)
__________________
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,767
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandkate View Post
So would doing away with the shower and keeping the toilet be dumb? I've noticed alot of campgrounds have shower houses...
A lot of the showers in campgrounds are not all that pleasant to use (and what if it's raining or 40 degrees outside?)

A major reason we got our Airstream was to be "self contained" and not have to worry about the condition of the facilities wherever we happen to be. In fact, since we got the Airstream I have never even been inside a campground lavatory/shower.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
There is at least one member here who has a lightweight slide in camper on a pickup for the kids and it pulls an Airstream behind. This way you can fix up the trailer like you want and put the kids in the truck camper.

How long is this trailer? You can put bunks in the center and the parents can sleep up front.

Perry
It's 24ft it's big enough for bunks where the middle bed was I was just thinking the more space the better and we wouldn't have to have hot water if we nixed the shower....
__________________
jakeandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Age and type of kids, we took gkids on 1000+ trip, first with boys, they had their own tent and still talk about the great trip, did the same trip with g-daughter no tent(we had moved up to bigger rv) all campgrounds had to have a pool, served same type meals, boys marveled gma could still cook in rv like they were used too. Girl on arriving at her home and still to this day sayes how she likes motels and room service not a camper. So back to your problem, bunks designated storage and dry conditions or tents with the call of the wild (spiders, rain, snakes, wet sleeping bags, palmetto bugs and coconut rats if in the south)
We have a 5 year old daughter a 3 year old boy and a 1 year old boy so tent by themselves are out for a little while but like I said it's not going to be a rushed remodel by no means just trying to get a game plan so we know what goes back in once we rip it all out
__________________

__________________
jakeandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money-money-money goshawks00 On The Road... 11 06-06-2014 10:48 AM
1977 Airstream Overlander 27' with title, nice, lots of pics,lots of new updates eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 06-15-2012 10:50 PM
What else do you spend your money on? Ultradog Off Topic Forum 42 04-16-2006 09:20 AM
Removing the body shell and installing new floor completely - any one done this? williamhenshall Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 11 03-13-2006 12:21 PM
Here's your chance to spend someone else's money. guy99 Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 27 03-04-2006 01:46 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.