Old 05-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Initially we throughly cleaned every inch from top to bottom, washed down all walls, treated all woodwork with orange oil/beeswax, replaced carpet with linoleum, made new drapes & got new upholestry & foam. There was not a single surface that went untouched.

Each spring we wash down all the walls, treat the woodwork and clean all the accumulated dust from storage over winter. In the fall same thing and we cover all the upholstery with sheets and we put foil-bubble insulation in all the windows to protect from sun damage & "looky-loos".

Shari
Where do you buy this "foil-bubble insulation"? Rose

Old 05-04-2004, 09:59 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
When taking the bathroom apart we found several pieces of wood that were moldy. They are under and inside the sink for reinforcement of the sink parts. /they will have to be replaced, also reinforcing wood along the tub edge that was thrown out.
The guys have been using TSP-tri sodium phospate- dissolved in HOT water to wash the stripped interior walls. With so little in our trailer at this point, I suspect the smell comes from the 2/3 0f the underbelly that hasnt been stripped out. although we found no evidence of mouse in the 1/3rd taken out and now bare to the ground.
Everything smells, it's just getting it to the level that you can tolerate and keep healthy at! By the way ,if you can believe this, concrete was mixed in with the old foam cushions, to give them a little stiffness. If your old foam cushions are getting powery and crumbly- this is why!!! amazing what they used to do. Also fiberglass is turning out to be like asbestos. So if you have your nose ends out, its a good idea to give it a couple of coats of sealer over the fiber side. Silver suz

Old 05-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisianCowgirl
We got it @ Home Depot. It comes in a 24" wide roll and we just cut it to fit our windows.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I found severe grime and dirt on the walls behind the stove and the walls under the sink. Cleaned the walls and wheel well area, as well as the floor under the stove and sink. This alone killed a large amount of odor in the kitchen area....
Amen, Brother uwe.

I just spent the weekend cleaning ours so we can go on our maiden voyage on Friday. We didn't have any issues with old cigarette smoke, mustiness, or 'critter smells', just a general 'old trailer' smell. While there are still alot of things to scrub, like yanking out the stove and clearing out 30+ years of accumulated grease, I scrubbed where I could in the amount of time I had:

I vacuumed behind and underneath everywhere - this also gave me the opurtunity to check for water damage.

We had 'sticky wall syndrome' behind the curtains (I think the old backing caused this), which themselves will be replaced as funds allow, as they are disintegrating. I wiped the stickiness away with Turtlewax 2001, then wiped the walls down overall with 409.

Anyplace that could be wiped down, was. I scraped melted candle wax under on the ledge under the front windows (someone burned candles that close to curtains!?!)

I washed out all the bins under the sofa and twins.

I washed out the RM 60 fridge, including pulling out the shelves and scrubbing them. A PO had 'repaired' a door shelf with duck tape - what a filthy, sticky, brown slimey mess! I cleaned off the residue, and applied super glue gel to the cracked areas (it was on the brink of clompletely coming apart), and voila! no more Frankenshelf.

I cleaned the range hood as best I could, and soaked 30+ years of gunk out of the metal mesh filter, soaked it overnight.

Scrubbed the wet bath down completely, also the vinyl 'doors' that separate the rooms. When I sprayed them with 409, they ran dark yellow. Ugh.

Replaced foam seal on ceiling vents, cleaned same and cleaned fan + blades in forward vent.

Result: 95% of that old trailer smell is gone.

We still neeed to do 'deep' cleaning like behind the stove and vents and fridge vents. We are going to replace the carpet (which is in surprisingly good shape), replace the curtains, and re-upholster the cushions as time and money permits. Also general maintenance like replacing old window seals and screens/screen fuzzies. Luckily, to POs weren't total slobs, they just kept the stuff clean that one notices, and let the rest accumulate.

We are comfortable enough now that we can take it out, which is the idea in the first place - right?, and not feel like we are in someone else's fleabag. I was really cursing the phrase "...it doesn't show dirt", because the trailer didn't look that bad when we brought it home - it was the crud in the cleaning bucket that told the tale.

Airwick and Lysol now both make an air freshener that does more than just mask smells with perfume and formaldehyde, that was the first thing I did last month when the trailer came home. Great stuff, but you've got to get to the root of the problem.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
I just spent the weekend cleaning ours so we can go on our maiden voyage on Friday. We didn't have any issues with old cigarette smoke, mustiness, or 'critter smells', just a general 'old trailer' smell. While there are still alot of things to scrub, like yanking out the stove and clearing out 30+ years of accumulated grease, I scrubbed where I could in the amount of time I had:
Question:
Do you provide "curb side services"??
Plse PM your schedule ASAP...

ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
I cleaned the range hood as best I could, and soaked 30+ years of gunk out of the metal mesh filter, soaked it overnight.

What did you soak the filter in?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:00 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisianCowgirl
I get mine from RV Parts Outlet by the roll. I swear they used to have 4' X 10' rolls, but my last was 24" X 10'.

Home Depot and the like are a way away from us. I usually get several items at a time when I mail order, usually maintence stuff. they are a great source for plumbing and electrical odds and ends, and if you are unsure of exactly what you need, call and they will happily assist you.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
I put my house stove filters in the dishwasher. Talk about clean with no effort!

I did the same with the 37 year old filter in my Overlander. Bad move - it disintegrated
Old 05-04-2004, 01:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
One thing I have noticed with this thread is, that most everyones idea of clean seems to focus around "SMELL". I agree whole heartedly.
I was thinking what are the worst causes of bad smells, it seems to come down to:
1.) Rodent droppings/nests
2.) Mildew, due to rotting floors or rugs.
3.) Grease left behind by the POs. [walls and range]
4.) General dirt and grime.

Those are my top offenders of the olfactory sense.
Those of you who were in "Uncle Sam's Canoe Club" know how that works, they didn't teach us to clean for no reason.
A deep cleaning at least once a year along with the day to day cleaning while in use will help in keeping your home on wheels, healthy and fun.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
A deep cleaning at least once a year along with the day to day cleaning while in use will help in keeping your home on wheels, healthy and fun.
The once (or twice) a year deep cleaning also helps you do a "once over", check everything out. That way you can catch minor issues like "a leak" before it becomes a major issue like "floor rot"

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud

Question:
Do you provide "curb side services"??
Plse PM your schedule ASAP...

ciao
53FC
Gah. Nothing is ever clean enough for me, although as a farmer's daughter, I will tolerate a certain amount of dirt - otherwise I'd go bonkers. Oh, and clean your own darn trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
I sprayed with it generously with Formula 409 (because it is what I had on hand), and covered it overnight with a wet cloth to keep it moist, but any detergent with grease cutters - Simple Green, (real)tri sodium phosphate - aka - TSP, Goop, Orange Clean, etc., will do the trick. Rinse in as hot of water as you can, it helps melt it out of there.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Gah. Nothing is ever clean enough for me, although as a farmer's daughter, I will tolerate a certain amount of dirt - otherwise I'd go bonkers. Oh, and clean your own darn trailer
lmao..
Yes ma'am
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
lmao..
Yes ma'am
53FC
I should have said nothing of mine is ever clean enough for me. To an outsider it may look fine, but there is always something else in my eyes. I think everyone's like that to a certain degree more critical of their own work than other people's...

...But I'm still not cleaning your trailer
Old 05-04-2004, 03:40 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Red face Smells nice!

Our coach doesn't smell! I was amazed that we picked it up and slept in it for 3 nights and neither of us sneezed or got a headache from mold.

Of course, now that you know that we slept in it for 3 nights BEFORE cleaning it, you think we have no standards, but we do! We have changed motel rooms in the past, honest! This Tradewind doesn't smell.

Still, I can't WAIT for this weekend to come so I can get to "know" it by cleaning it from top to bottom. I did see some mouse droppings and will use that steel wool trick.

Hey Aaron, where is Anderson Falls? I am in Raleigh.

Connie