Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Thermometer showing outside temperature

I am not satisfied with any of the remote-reading thermometers I have been able to find. Most are ugly. Most use wireless remotes, which I have found to be extremely unreliable in this climate.

Anyone have an effective means of measuring outside temperature, that isn't ugly?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have a wireless weather station with an anemometer. I use it in my house, on my boat and in the Airstream. The sending unit is mounted on my boat and I move the receiver to our bedroom, the boat is in the driveway. When we take the Airstream I grab the sending unit from the boat, it is on a easy release mount and bring it with us. I just set the sending unit in a cup and place it on a picnic table outside. I have the receiver mounted with Velcro in the boat and the Airstream. Gives inside and outside temp, humidity, outside wind speed, atomic clock, weather forecast, and history. Payed $45.00 at academy after Christmas close out.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I am not satisfied with any of the remote-reading thermometers I have been able to find. Most are ugly. Most use wireless remotes, which I have found to be extremely unreliable in this climate.

Anyone have an effective means of measuring outside temperature, that isn't ugly?
Ugly, as in beautiful, is in the eye of the beholder...LOL. But I like the simple wired units which are still available in places like Wal Mart etc. The wire is very small and I either snake it through an existing hole like a gas line or drill a new small hole for the sensor down through the belly pan. The sensor then is under the rig, out of site, out of the sunshine.

I have not had success with the wireless units for outside temps as I have not found a good location for the sensor transmitter which won't get beat up with road trash and is out of the sunshine, and can still be accessed for battery maintenance. But the wireless units today are a lot better than they have been in the past, if you have not tried one lately. I use a wireless one in my refrigerator and the sensor on the wall in a visible place to be sure the refrig is running right.

Just look and look until you find a not ugly one, whichever you chose.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
At the house, I use the AcuRite brand wireless and it's great, but in the trailer it has problems.
Seems that the old style units with the extended wired thermocouple mounted under the trailer is the best way to go. At least with the Airstream.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't have any complaint with mine. Mounted the sender under the trailer, onto the sewer hose tube. Shoots signal through floor with no issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00041-20110721-1453.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	181536

I don't think it's ugly...sorta matches the aluminum theme.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I have a cheap wired one from Wally World. I ran the wire out thru the bottom vent on my fridge (in the floor on a 68) and mounted the readout a cabinet. It is not bad looking and it is accurate. You could install the head inside a cabinet if you wanted to hide it.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You can find something nice-looking from LaCrosse Technologies (and they are available through Amazon.com)... We have used one for the last several eyars and it works great. It's also portable so we can use it at home or on the road. I affixed a Velcro strap to the outside sensor and can usually find a place to put it out of the weather and direct sun. (The hardest part if not forgetting the outside sensor when you pack up! I'll admit that I've driven off and left it behind....thus the red Velcro strap, so I can easily see it.)
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
WalMart has numerous clock/thermometer/weather stations in their home improvement section. (The store we frequent has thermometers near the RV/trailer/towing supplies).

We got an inexpensive unit that displays date and time, indoor and outdoor temperatures, barometric pressure, etc., for about $20. I sealed the outdoor temperature sensor in a heavy-duty, zip-lock freezer bag, and I mounted it to our spare tire carrier with tie wraps.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Same here as Phoenix, but I put my sensor in an empty, washed plastic peanut butter jar ... thought it'd give me more protection from small rodents, flying gravel, etc.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
You can find something nice-looking from LaCrosse Technologies (and they are available through Amazon.com)... We have used one for the last several eyars and it works great. It's also portable so we can use it at home or on the road. I affixed a Velcro strap to the outside sensor and can usually find a place to put it out of the weather and direct sun. (The hardest part if not forgetting the outside sensor when you pack up! I'll admit that I've driven off and left it behind....thus the red Velcro strap, so I can easily see it.)
I've got a Lacrosse thermometer, and do something similar. But to make sure I never leave it behind, I Velcro it to the top of one of the awning support legs, where it's shaded by the awning for most of the day. Rather than a permanently-attached piece of Velcro, I use a Velcro cable tie.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I don't have any complaint with mine. Mounted the sender under the trailer, onto the sewer hose tube. Shoots signal through floor with no issues.

Attachment 181536

I don't think it's ugly...sorta matches the aluminum theme.

I'll bet that I've just been placing the remote in the wrong place. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Why not use an app on a smart phone, IPAD or Nook. I have found them to very reliable when travelling
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Why not use an app on a smart phone, IPAD or Nook. I have found them to very reliable when travelling
We often camp in remote areas without any sort of wireless coverage.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Just got my barn burner daily e-mail. If anyone interested. Today it is a weather station. Rated in the middle

La Crosse Technology Weather Pro Touchscreen Weather Center - Wireless - Save 77%

Tony