Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
Durham , Maine
On a related note, anyone ever find that the stock AS thermometer is (somewhat) accurate? I use a wireless LL Bean internal/external thermometer for the house and while camping. More often than not, the 37yo AS is pretty darn close to the calibrated wireless...

Jared and Heather
WBCCI # 4998
AIR # 24449
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2015 23' FB International
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I mounted the remote wireless sensor on the backside of the propane tank cover. This area is not in the line of fire from road hazards and is easly accessible to replace the battery. I velcroed the receiver to the right side of the overhead front cabinet. The transmission is almost line-of-sight.

seems to work well. it is a Honeywell TM005X

Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1973 29' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
I'm trying to replace the existing thermometer. I would love to just have the original function and look, but it doesn't seem like I can just buy a new unit. I paln to buy something like this Mannon Weather Station Wall Clock - Barometers at Weather Instruments once I determine the diameter of the existing clock and thermometer. I'd prefer a non-electric thermometer like the factory original one, but we'll see.
dcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #18

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1973 29' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
Cool Robert!

I'm picking her up from storage this week and while I've got her in the driveway for a day, I'm going to measure what I've got and see if I can fish in a temperature probe through the existing pipe. (If I get my other projects done.)
Old 07-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have some Oregon Scientific units for the house and they work well. But, we have used cheapo ones for the trailer and they don't work well. Batteries don't last and since we just put the sensor in the bumper, the sun always shines on it (even if it faces north), it isn't accurate during the day when it works. There's enough metal between the dinette and bumper to probably affect the reception from the sensor, but any outside mounting I can think of doesn't do the sensor any good either. When it working well, I can get the temps inside the trailer (sensor there) on the monitor in the house from 100+ feet away. This is helpful before I winterize it and am still taking trips. Then I know when to turn on the furnace and set it at 40˚

Opening the door and sticking my head out works better, but my head doesn't always work well either.

I also get local weather forecasts on my laptop when I can and that'll tell me what to expect (most of the time).

The main reason I want one is to see how cold it is getting at night to know whether to turn the furnace on to keep the fresh water tank from freezing (especially when it is parked at home). Since I always wake up in the middle of the night, I check the temp then and if the temp is getting below 40˚ outside, I turn on the furnace. The catalytic heater doesn't keep the trailer warm enough at those temps and the heat pump is noisy and fairly ineffective below 40˚. If we are boondocking, I set the furnace for 50˚. Then Barb sets it for the upper 50's, and then I turn it down. She turns it back up. I give up.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1973 29' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
ahh, the old argument over the thermostat...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Our trailer has a thermostat in the bedroom. It has a button to hit for external temperature.

2012 30' International Serenity
1947 Spartan Manor
2005 28' Safari LS - traded
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote