Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Edge , Near the Edge of the World
There are NO pics of the inside of the fridge.

That is because when my mother finally managed to open it a tiny crack, thick, black, viscous, liquid with a rank, nauseating stench ran out of the bottom.

I hurridly shut it, and plan to get some steel bands, which I will weld around it to insure it never opens again, before I dump it into the Miranas Trench.

There could be a decomposing body in there for all I know....and, truthfully, I am not willing to ever open that fridge again to find out.

Peace,
Caliann

*The Mrs. Merlyn*

Old 10-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #16
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I like the sign on the fridge...

I'm fine.
Really.

That saying ought to stay with the trailer somehow!

Shari
*chuckles* I like it also. However, it is only one of about fourteen bajillion cutsie, kitty posters in various stages of decay and damage that were removed from the AS.

Okay, okay....maybe I am exaggerating a little. It is possible that there were only thirteen bajillion of them.

Peace,
Caliann

*Who, after going through the mountians of stuff that was piled in there, is going to stay FAR FAR away from anything "cute" and concentrate on "simple and elegant"*

Old 10-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just installed a new gas/electric waterheater in our Argosy. It's just the 8 gal one but it gives lots of hot water and can be turned on by a remote switch. It heats fast on electric and you may be happy with the 10 gal of the same type. Good luck on your project. These trailers are worth it, but you have a long road ahead.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I love my new tankless water heater IN MY HOUSE. Two things I have in my house: An Endless (hopefully) supply of water and a hole at the bottom of my shower where the used water goes - which I never have to see again. I don't have those two things when camping . . . sometimes I can get the endless supply, but that doesn't really solve the whole problem. And maybe you plan on semi-permanently parking your trailer where you have both(?).

The other things I would mention is it must have a certain amount of "flow" to get the gas burners to kick on so if I tried to take a "low volume" shower it won't get hot and it also takes a few seconds of flow to kick on so the Navy Shower (turning it on and off) doesn't work either - and I don't have any experience with an RV tankless so maybe they have those things worked out.

Great thread, thanks for sharing the pictures and info and progress and humor . . . good luck.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Clorox

You must spray all surfaces with a Clorox solution as you go. This is especially so given your location. I used a garden sprayer. A cup per gallon is plenty. Never mix with or let this contact ammonia as you will get Chlorine gas, not good, very very bad. Spray good and close it up for a few hours then air out. Be careful pulling up the floor and getting into the walls. The belly pan will be full of stuff, it is not dirt.... Soak it good... Great project.
How are the axels? This can be a big money item. I trust you know this will cost you more than buying one in very good condition.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #20
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
I love my new tankless water heater IN MY HOUSE. Two things I have in my house: An Endless (hopefully) supply of water and a hole at the bottom of my shower where the used water goes - which I never have to see again. I don't have those two things when camping . . . sometimes I can get the endless supply, but that doesn't really solve the whole problem. And maybe you plan on semi-permanently parking your trailer where you have both(?).

MarkR
Use of it, once it is done, will be full-time, live-in with mostly permanent water and sewer supplies.

There will be times when there will not be un-ending water and sewer supplies......those times will be enroute to park in front of the houses of friends who beg us to come use *their* water and sewer supplies for a while. *chuckles*

There will also be a couple of camping trips, but it will mostly be in fixed locations.

Since I will be living in it full time, I *want* luxury. Long, hot showers when I have sore muscles are part of that.

We are seriously considering (in the interests of conserving water) of installing a gray-water tank, some filters, on-demand pump, etc., and having the toilet use water from the gray-water tank. I can't think of a reason to pump perfectly good, potable, drinking water down a toilet.

This would also help on camping trips, as the fresh-water tank isn't that volumnous.

An over-flow valve in the gray-water tank would be useful for watering my flowers, also. Again, double use of perfectly fine water. My flowers have never minded my shampoo *before* this.

Thoughts? Ideas? Since this is basically a frame-off restoration, the pain-in-the-butt aspect is a nil con. Also since we're going to be replacing all the plumbing anyway, re-piping is a nil con. Anyone able and willing to give me convincing arguements why it wouldn't work?

Peace,
Caliann

*Who is busy designing things in her head*
Old 10-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Good ideas!

CaliAnn,

I think you've got some very good ideas. I was considering two of them myself. I've got a 31 footer that I was considering altering the floor plan to a rear bedroom. I was also considering the idea of bigger tanks (all three) and transfer pumps to do exactly as you've stated.

You go girl!

Oh yeah, I paid $2500 for mine and discovered it's got some sags. I'm planning a new frame for mine next spring/summer. I'm going to make it deeper and stronger, with larger tanks. So, like you, I'm tearing it down to the nuts and bolts. Like Steve Austin, I'll build it better, stronger, faster

Good luck with it!
Old 10-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I suggest you rent the local public pool for a month or two, over-chlorinate it by about 10,000% and submerse this trailer in its entirety for that entire time. Then, when your time is up and it is time to remove it, rent it for another 2 months and leave it in there a little longer!

Seriously, you are ambitious souls - you should post your before and after photos on the October photo contest string, and then post the real "after" photo in next October's photo contest string.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #23
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
You must spray all surfaces with a Clorox solution as you go. This is especially so given your location. I used a garden sprayer. A cup per gallon is plenty. Never mix with or let this contact ammonia as you will get Chlorine gas, not good, very very bad. Spray good and close it up for a few hours then air out. Be careful pulling up the floor and getting into the walls. The belly pan will be full of stuff, it is not dirt.... Soak it good... Great project.
How are the axels? This can be a big money item. I trust you know this will cost you more than buying one in very good condition.
Oh, we do know it will cost us more, in the long run, than buying one in good condition. However, while we can afford spending a few hundred dollars per month on materials (what I can't find at severe discounts, that is), we cannot afford to lay down several thousand dollars at one time for one that is decent condition.

We will know about the axels when the floor is out and the pan is dropped. We *do* know that the curb-side rear wheel was frozen before we moved it. How much damage there is remains to be seen. And yes, they *are* big money items. Try replacing one on a tractor!

The good thing is that most of the work, except the electrical wiring (have a family friend for that), we can do ourselves. Therefore, we are pretty much only putting out for materials and appliances.

The appliances (except for water and waste tanks) we will likely be getting from used marine supply stores......and we know ALL of those to hit. *chuckles*

As for bleaching the bejeebers out of it and closing it up, allowing the fumes to penetrate and kill most everything, there are a couple of difficulties with that:

1. The A.S. is currently missing four windows; it cannot be closed up.
2. I am allergic to chlorine.

Oh, on the warning about mixing cleansers, you forgot to mention some other possible by-products of the mixture:

A. A lot of bleach, a little ammonia: Nitrogen trichloride. (NCl3) Highly explosive.
B. A lot of ammonia, a little bleach: Hydrazine. (N2H4) Thermally reactive and explosive.

So, by mixing the two, I can not only cause my lungs to disintegrate; I can also blow myself sky high and burn myself to smithereens.

That doesn't sound like a productive way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

For now, we're going to take our chances with respirators and nitrile gloves.

Peace,
Caliann

*The knows far to much about chemical reactions Mrs. Merlyn*
Old 10-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #24
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
I suggest you rent the local public pool for a month or two, over-chlorinate it by about 10,000% and submerse this trailer in its entirety for that entire time. Then, when your time is up and it is time to remove it, rent it for another 2 months and leave it in there a little longer!
**** *chuckles* It's a thought, but *I* can't even go into a public pool...I turn into the pink-polka-dotted-monster (who itches like crazy), therefore, submersing it in chlorine is out. All of the bleaching of things thus far has been done by my darling and wonderful mother...and I can barely stand the *smell* of it.

Perhaps I could submerge it in a industrial tank of peroxide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
Seriously, you are ambitious souls - you should post your before and after photos on the October photo contest string, and then post the real "after" photo in next October's photo contest string.
*grinz* The better half already posted them there, I do believe. *chuckles* Perhaps we'll get an "honorable mention"?

Peace,
Caliann
*who wonders how much 20,000 gallons of peroxide will run her?*
Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #25
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
CaliAnn,
***** Oooops, I had better explain that up front, before I meet anyone in person and we all get embarressed and mumbly at a rally or something:

My name is Caliann. It is pronounced "KAY-lawn". My grandmother was Irish-Gaelic, so it has that pronounciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
I think you've got some very good ideas. I was considering two of them myself. I've got a 31 footer that I was considering altering the floor plan to a rear bedroom. I was also considering the idea of bigger tanks (all three) and transfer pumps to do exactly as you've stated.

You go girl!

Oh yeah, I paid $2500 for mine and discovered it's got some sags. I'm planning a new frame for mine next spring/summer. I'm going to make it deeper and stronger, with larger tanks. So, like you, I'm tearing it down to the nuts and bolts. Like Steve Austin, I'll build it better, stronger, faster

Good luck with it!
Bigger, stronger, faster, more elegant, smarter, prettier and with satellite internet connectivity!

Oh, for those of you that want to get WyFi in your Airstream, to take advantage of the growing number of RV parks offering the service: It doesn't work unless you have an *exterior* antenna! Airstreams are fully encased in aluminium, which disrupts WyFi transmission. Please do not call the harried support technicions and scream at them because you can't get online UNTIL AND UNLESS you have an exterior WyFi signal antenna. Then, if you still have problems, call them, but don't scream.

(Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood geek.)

Peace,
Caliann
*The Mrs. Merlyn*
Old 10-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #26
Hag of Horror

1968 30' Sovereign
Wallpaper?

We're going to have to take out the inner skins on this job, of course, so after searching faithfull through the forums (I really, REALLY did!), I have some questions about other ideas:

The vinyl coating on the inside (the end-caps are fiberglass or plastic, and seem perfectly white) are horribly, horribly stained by God-knows-what. Yes, I will probably dip them in vats of purple stuff to clean them...but what about afterwards?

There is some truely gorgeous, watered silk wallpaper in a champagne that I would LOVE to put over that vinyl....but, is that something that is doable?

I was only able to locate one thread on putting wallpaper over the vinyl...and there was nothing on whether they succeeded or not. All the rest of the threads that the search provided that mentioned wallpaper at all were on getting it OFF the wood (an understandable desire).

The watered silk with the bamboo floors and, possibly, bamboo dividing walls, would give the interior a very nice Oriental look, don't you think?

Would someone, pretty please, tell me, "Oh, certianly you can put wallpaper on the interior skin...", and fulfill my modest dreams?

Peace,
Caliann

*The Mrs. Merlyn*
Old 10-09-2006, 05:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't know why you couldn't wallpaper over vinyl or anything else. I think the point is doing the right kind of prep work and using the right kind of adhesive. Check with with your friendly Homey D or or your local Sherwin Williams. I know there are specialty adhesives designed for papering over different surfaces. I remember years ago seeing a feature on something like HGTV where they covered the walls of an old Silver Clipper with batting and fabric. Kind of gives a whole new meaning to "padded cell".

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:04 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Sewer Choice and Wallpaper

Your ideas seem workable, let us see.

We have a cut-in or cut-out on our septic system so a visiting trailer can hook up the trailer's waste drain to our waste system, We hook up a water hose, plug in the extension cord and connect the septic. They can do whatever and do not bother us. It works great. Hint: when it is time fot the visitors to go, cut the water and electric. Wait on the septic.
As an owner of a tankless water heater and 3 teens, consider that the interior space is small and during the long luxury showers the water will serve to steam the wallpaper unless venting is very strong, Add to that when breathing each body gives off 1 to 2 liters of water as moisture per day that will condense on the cold walls.
We have rear bath with mid-twins, a bad combo in my mind also. The costs of a change to rear queen, mid bath might be prohibitive but it does work on paper. The 22' CCD has a great mid bath for example.

R