Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
the most comfortable airstream

Big,little,vintage,modern,which is THE most comfortable? Is it a rear bedroom model,rear bath with twin beds? How about front bed models? Do more amenities add or distract from comfort level? Is factory vintage lighting and flooring or all new the way to maximum comfort?
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
GD

2007 27' Classic FB
1960 17' Pacer
Bozeman , Montana
Personal preference.

We had a 66 Safari 22 ft trailer and traded for a 27 ft FB Classic. Personally we like all the MOD CONS of the newer trailer. Bed is much more comfortable than the old twin beds. However, we are now looking for an older trailer to fix up.

We travel quite a bit in the midwest to see family and not having grey water tanks in older trailers and be somewhat of a problem. We had a portable tank for grey water, but it was a pain.
gduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think our Caravel is very comfortable, but I agree the lack of a grey tank is a bit of an inconvenience. I sure do like the flexibility in it's layout, converting couch and dinette to beds, there's lots of room to lounge around in the evening. Not going to be holding any dance parties in there though

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
Big,little,vintage,modern,which is THE most comfortable?
The answer to that question will only be given by you...the person who's life style fits the trailer.

We've had several different trailers over the years. Our last was a vintage 23' that had two gauchos that folded down for beds with a bath in the rear. The bath was fine, but we did not like the bed. Too small at 48" wide. Our current trailer has the rear twins, mid bath, and so far we like it the best of all the trailers we've had. We think the floor plans with the dedicated beds are the most comfortable.

But, that's not to say you would like it the best. If I were you I'd look at lots of trailers and think about how you would use them, and then decide which is best for you.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I think mine is very comfortable at least for me. I previously had a 31' with twin beds and the couch in front - You will probably get some good ideas. Take care.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
The most comfortable Airstream is...

The one where you fit the bed.

The one where you can do all you need to and reach everything you need to in the throne room

The one you and your spouse/significant other/pets/kids can all fit inside when it rains.

For us it was the '25 FB. You on the other hand need to go sit/lay/ be in every A/S you can get into and it'll become clear pretty quick which is the most comfortable Airstream for you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
I have never entered a single Airstream in which I did not feel perfectly comfortable. They all feel like home as far as I am concerned.

We do like our center bath, rear twins set up and if we ever had the need to replace our current one, we would do our best to duplicate the setup we have now.
Bill
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I would think a large rear bed,center bath,front dinette,all very open at about 27' sounds right.Quite solar power ,wood floors,and low lighting also sounds comfortable.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
the most comfortable airstream

My favorite Airstream has been and continues to be my '64 Overlander. It has a combination of features not available in later model coaches. The features that appeal to me most include:
  • The large rear bathroom. I have tried a number of different floor plans, but none has a bathroom that compares to the comfort and convenience offered by this version of the rear bath. A large, comfortable bathroom was one of my top priorities when I was looking for an Airstream as I was to the point where I dreaded travel due to the horrible state of most public restrooms and campground bath houses.
  • The remarkably comfortable center twin beds. Granted, the matresses were custom made during the second year that I owned the coach, but they were selected from Lebeda's collection of customizable bedding.
  • The door-within-a-door. One of the things that I had disliked on every travel trailer or truck camper that my family owned was the flexible aluminum screens -- they were noisy, almost never fit well, and the slider that covered the door handle nearly always had trouble sliding. The door-within-a-door solved all of those problems and provided a screened area that begins high enough off of the floor that my Chihuahuas aren't constantly punching the screen material out of the door.
  • The jalousie windows beside the entry door. Most consider these quirky throw-backs to the 1950s, but I like the ventilation that they provide even when there is some rain.
  • The front sofa-lounge -- after suffering through the loose-pillow sofa in our Nomad and the dinette only seating area in the Sunway; the moderately firm sofa with near perfect proportions is an exceptionally comfortable place to relax.
  • The drop-leaf free-standing dining table. This is my first RV with a free-standing table and it is among my most favorite features -- its folded size disguises its ability to accommodate a family of four for dinner in great comfort. It is also handy to be able to use the table outside under the patio awning for impromtu picnic dinners.
  • The built-in storage area in the rear 3/4 wardrobe for the three Leg-O-Matic dining chairs.
I like my Minuet, but for sheer comfort, the Overlander wins without question.

Kevin

P.S.: The fact that it was the camper in which I enjoyed my first camping trip as a five-year-old (in 1964) probably adds to my attachment (I didn't discover this fact until I had owned the coach for several months). I now understand why the original owners of my coach considered it the best of the four Airstreams that they had owned (two older and one a 1972 that they couldn't bring themselves to trade this coach on).
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Naw, THE most comfortable

coach is obviously the one that has YOUR clothes selection in it, YOUR kitchen appliances and gadgets, YOUR food and drink selection in the fridge, etc. What makes them the most comfortable has very little to do with the "design" of the beast, so long as the minimum requirements are me (after all, I've got friends who seem perfectly happy in SOBs ) - so the real deal is filling them up with the things that make your life the most comfortable.

So, while I might trade my coach at some point, don't even think about trying to get your hands on my coffee maker or music selection or spices or pillow! I'm totally comfortable with them.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy.

In a little over three years, we have slept in her over 450 nights. We have pulled Lucy over 50,000 miles in that time period. We have stayed in Lucy for as long as 52 days straight.

We have been extremely comfortable in Lucy, and have made her our own. Lucy is as comfortable as it gets for a travel trailer of this size.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
The one we're most comfortable in has this double reclining love seat replacing the most uncomfortable Airstream couch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60 airstream recliner.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	85888  
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Comfort? do you sleep with you hubby or not??? Or will tiwn beds work?
I like the bed in the back and dinette up front mid bathroom , however no old gal seems to be perfect. WE have a 22 ft and she is very very roomy with a slightly smaller than queen size in the back. We have no shower but if you were gutting her you could figure that out. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing is perfect if you like old and then again you can have things you may not like about new. UGH A WUG A
gail is offline   Reply With Quote