Old 07-26-2015, 04:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
The great Foam conundrum...

Hi everyone, I am on the semi final stages of what's been a year and a half long restoration of our 72 Overlander. I am ready to buy the foam for the beds and U shaped couch I built. But I am confused with all of the foam choices and I'd love the forums opinion on this. What I need is a good foam to both sit on and sleep on comfortably. Also, where to buy this stuff, locally (not many choices) or online where there is a plethora of choices. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
I'd yelp your area for local upholsterers and see what comes up. We went that route last week and found a shop with solid ratings. We brought in our old foam for a 25FB. He showed us a few options and we picked one that felt firm, but had some memory give.

Long story short, we spent $375 to have new foam cut to perfection, wrapped in batting, and re-stuffed into the covers. Can't say enough as to how much a difference it made.

Blueliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
We used two layers of foam (for a total of 5") on both the gaucho and the dinette cushions. For the dinette, there's a vinyl side of the cushion that is 3" of heavy duty foam; the cloth side of the dinette cushion has 2" of the cool memory foam.
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Not to long ago I added a greater explanation of the foam choice question to the forum which you might find valuable. It is here:

As for foam providers that will ship what you want and for a reasonable price, try United Pillow in Miami: Foam & Filling: United Pillow Manufacturing

I have been very satisfied with every purchase from them, but mine which have all been variations on square or rectangular and not mattress sizes. I believe they do custom cushions which might require you to provide a template or detailed measurements for your specific curved applications. They will also sew matching white cotton covers with zippers that match your foam order economically if you don't also have them do the final fabric. Two covers encasing your foam will add life to your exterior cushion fabric because the batting won't be abrading the underside of the outer fabric each time you sit down. Of course, this mostly applies to those who spent 100+ days/year using their coach.

Being a big guy (200+), I used their 4518 foam for our dinette bottom cushions. Most medium-sized people (150-185) will like the 4015 foam; smallish people (under 140) will like the 3618 foam for longer sitting sessions. These foams are all long life foam choices used for primary sitting areas. Go softer for the back cushions. If dual purposing the sitting cushions for sleeping, the medium density foams are a good compromise for comfort.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
You guys are the best! Seemore, I will read your other post. I have a brother who is an over the road driver which got me thinking about truck sleeper mattresses for the beds in the back. Lo and behold, several companies make the that will fit my off size beds. I bought two 6.5" Innerspace mattresses for $329.00 I have not installed nor slept on them, I will update once I use them. I still need the custom made for the front of the trailer. Thanks once again to one an all for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote