Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Okay, I am going to add my two cents...the best functioning best layout of all times was done in one model for three years and then in a few custom situations there after. It is the 1954-56 Front kitchen Safari.
I have to agree with Frank on this one.

We have a '56 Safari under restoration, but have used it enough this year (20 nights so far) to know the layout is just about perfect for two. Yes, the bathroom is small - but who hangs out in the bathroom for hours? (uh no, I really don't want to know....) We'd much rather have the space for the multi-functional "living" space we use more. I absolutely love, Love, LOVE all the windows on the streetside - just about everybody that steps into it comments they do too. The whole trailer is nice & open, has more storage than I think we will ever use and with twins in the back that can be used as sofas during the day, it'll be a perfect hangout for 10-12 people in bad weather...but we try to stick with the old 6-4-2 rule..."six for cocktails, four for dinner & two for bed".

Another advantage is when towing or backing, you can see through the entire trailer behind you - no bathroom across the trailer to impede your view. I'm sure there are other models that do this, but it was new to us after our '64 GlobeTrotter with a full bath across the back and a door.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebowdrie View Post
My favorite has always been the Safari 28, get a dinette, and a sofa, and don't have those *$^#@* corner beds.
I have to agree with this. Of the floorplans available in the new units I like the 28' the best. My only gripe is that the shower is over the wheel well and half of the shower floor is raised. The bed could be a few inches narrower giving a few inches more to the sides.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Another advantage is when towing or backing, you can see through the entire trailer behind you - no bathroom across the trailer to impede your view.
This is one feature of our Argosy 24 that I really appreciate. Not essential but it is nice.

With the front kitchen was there no hood vent for the stove? I wouldn't want to give that up and I wouldn't want to cut holes in the front or curved corners. Otherwise taking advantage of the wrap around glass at the front of the Argosy by turning it into the kitchen work space would be great.

It looks OK in the pictures but I was also wondering how well it works out to have a wall intersecting with a window. Although on the Safari it appears there's actually a window frame at this point.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
With the front kitchen was there no hood vent for the stove? I wouldn't want to give that up and I wouldn't want to cut holes in the front or curved corners. Otherwise taking advantage of the wrap around glass at the front of the Argosy by turning it into the kitchen work space would be great.
There is no hood or vent directly over the stove. There is the operable window right next to it and a vent in the ceiling about 2-3 feet away. We changed it to a Fantastic Fan - seems to work fine, we leave the front fan on blowing out - helps both with cooking & showering steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
It looks OK in the pictures but I was also wondering how well it works out to have a wall intersecting with a window. Although on the Safari it appears there's actually a window frame at this point.
You're right, on our Safari the wall intersects at a frame support - it is actually about 1/4" away, doesn't actually touch it. There is a slight air gap there but the shower head spray doesn't reach that far so water doesn't go through it. We also have a mini shower curtain at the window to keep splashes from getting on the window or through the gap.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #45
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Love the 28'

As other have said it depends on your needs and your style. I chose the 28' Safari SE because it had a sofa, a dinettte, a large enough refrigerator and bath with separate shower and the a queen size bed you can walk around. I plan to full time in mine so the layout appealed to me - I've spent a lot of time on boats and know what a pain it is to make up a bed in a v-berth - I didn't want to fight with that corner bed. Although I'm not full timing yet, I find I couldn't do without the dinette - use it more than the sofa, for craft work, laptop, reading and of course eating. As my A/S will be home for me the distinct living areas were important - especially when the weather isn't conducive to being outside. My only reservation is that the galley is smaller than I'd like and it's difficult to stow all the heavy things down low and still have them easily accessible. But after looking at all the airstreams I could find in the 22 to 28' range - I'm very happy that I went for the 28 and know that I wouldn't have been as content with a smaller trailer. And I agree with the 6-4-2 rule!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Alright, the 6-4-2 rule is alive and well.
This works for smaller yachts too.
Drink 6
Eat 4
Sleep 2

Excess personnel,,,, in the tent, or ashore.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
After many years of "looking" but not buying...I am leaning toward the 27FB...or the 28' with L "couch".

Not sure how comfortable the dinettes are for "sitting" (either the FB dinette/lounge or the 28' dinette)...say working on the computer or just drinking coffee?

Also still torn between the twin beds and RV queen...we have King bed at home...rpobably would not be a deal breaker if we found the "right" slightly used AS here in the upper midwest.
Tom,

The comfort of the dinette depends of what you like to sit on. The foam is very, very firm and some people prefer soft, plushy. The covers for the cushions are not well made. To me a dinette is indispensable—space for eating, leaving stuff we use (medications, tissues, condiments), space for laptop, reading. Others do it differently. A lot of people live in the kitchen/dining room a lot and I suppose people like that might prefer a dinnette. Our kitchen/dining room/living room at home all flow into each other at home, so we like the set up we have—the same but smaller. So, what you like at home may tell you what you want on the road.

Same with bed—switching from king to twins seems pretty radical to me.

Isn't it getting to be time to pull the trigger and actually buy an Airstream?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Oh, no doubt..

No doubt, everyone needs a bunkhouse....

Errr, thats why they made them 1.5 years!!!

Best for us anyway with 4 kids!!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Tom,

Isn't it getting to be time to pull the trigger and actually buy an Airstream?

Gene
Not sure if that will ever happen...right now I am focused on "earning" back the decline in my retirement accounts. As a self employed individual my "nest egg" is the primary source of retirement security. While I am likely still "OK"...I seem to have lost much of my "cushion"...although I am tracking pretty well since March.

I guess I reflect the broader consumer group that is buying very little of a "capital" nature...and working harder and longer than planned before retirement.

I have managed to get my wife out to see a couple of ASs and she is beginning to ward to the idea...a bit. Also am actively looking for a low miles used 2007-2007 Duramax/Allison Chev/GMC. That would be a first step.

Thanks...Tom R

P.S. 3.75 inches of rain last night...trying to "fill" Lake Superior back to normal level...TMR
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Todd , North Carolina
I do not believe that you can decouple the "best floor plan" from trailer length. For my money, The only floorplan to seriously consider is the 27FB or maybe the 25FB queen.

That being said, a FB queen makes no sense and is therefore not available in a 19 footer.

My rig is a 27FB queen. I have yet to be turned away from a campground because of size. I sized my TV to pull this model. Sometimes your TV will drive your choice of Airstream, but I believe this is letting the tail to wag the dog.

Budget, of course may also come into play.

Buddy
evsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #51
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
My only gripe is that the shower is over the wheel well and half of the shower floor is raised.
The better to sit down and enjoy the shower. There isn't an RV that I've seen so far that allows me to stand up stright in the shower, so I decided, why fight it?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #52
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
The better to sit down and enjoy the shower. There isn't an RV that I've seen so far that allows me to stand up stright in the shower, so I decided, why fight it?
I can stand up straight and still have water fall right on my head. I am 5' 8". Every part of my shower head is stock except its location.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	85792

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	85793

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	85794

To be honest, I think the shower in my trailer is one of the best I have ever taken.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #53
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Maybe I should have mentioned that I'm 6'5" tall. And that shower doesn't look stock, is it? It's looks fabulous!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #54
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Okay you are too tall for my shower. Yes all that is stock. I moved the diverter from the vanity side to the wardrobe. The bracket for the shower head is as high as it can go. Now the walls are not stock and either is the tub color.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Hi,
I had a 29' rear twin. When we pulled into a rest area one night and were getting ready to take a nap, my wife asked me which side of the trailer would most likely get hit if a sleeply truck-driver came in?? I ended up sleeping on the street side.(Left Side) That question convinced me to purchase a 27' FB Classic. Now I sleep quite well up front...
2008 27'FB Classic
2002 Ford PSD
bizetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #56
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I'm 6'2" and the Silver Streak allowed me to stand up straight . . carefully. But comfortably one has so much arm/shoulder room.

On the AVION brochure page (pdf page 6/8), Yr Mdl 1986, the 25' weighs 4,975/7,000 and features a rear bedroom with double, side bath and front lounge. About perfect, IMO, as we/I especially like two living areas due to different interests at different times. The Avion shown (I recently found one for sale, but it sold quickly) packs a BIG trailer into a small package. Better than I have seen before.

http://www.silveravion.com/downloads...6_brochure.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	668.0 KB
ID:	86065  
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Salem , Connecticut
I have a 30 excella with twin rears I just bought. I have not used it yet but it will take some getting used to seen we have slept together for 26 years and still enjoy sleeping in the same bed. The dealer told us its a popular floor plan aka sought after?
maintguy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #58
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, the two singles give the most square footage of sleeping area available in an AS, from what I've seen...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintguy62 View Post
I have a 30 excella with twin rears I just bought. I have not used it yet but it will take some getting used to seen we have slept together for 26 years and still enjoy sleeping in the same bed. The dealer told us its a popular floor plan aka sought after?
Our last trailer had twin beds. The only problem we found (other than the obvious one!!) was that the beds were hard to make being tight against the walls. Our present trailer has a centre queen bed which we find better.

Pros & cons I guess.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #60

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When all is said and done, we like the 25FB with the queen bed.

We say this after having spent almost 500 nights in our Lucy, and having pulled her over 50,000 miles in three years.

We have found that we are very comfortable in this floor plan. If we were to replace Lucy today, we would get another 25FB with the queen bed.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote