Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
I like the wrap-around sofas in these models:
Floor Plans < Product Family | Airstream Europe : Airstream floor plan, model range, layout (Don't know how to attach an image, so please follow link to photos.)

I would rather have the layout of the Model 684s be flip-flopped with the sofa in the back and the bedroom in front.

nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Well, it seems as though the 25 footer is very popular. We are very pleased with our 25 Safari SS. The corner bath has a very nice size shower. While the corner bed is a little challenging it is very comfortable for us.

Since I have never owned a larger trailer I can't speak about the ease of handling and the parking of a longer unit. With a smaller trailer it is not difficult to get into most gas stations, Cracker Barrells, or anywhere else I choose to go.

The Sleeper Six offers a lot of value for its size. I really have no desire for a larger unit. Pulling more trailer down the road that what I need makes no sense in this day of high fuel prices.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Oh of course it's the 16 footer.

The 2 bedroom floor plan allows for a separate bedroom nook in the back
and the spacious guest bedroom/dinette in the front.
(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)
There is even a partition for privacy between the two (there actually is).

And I can U turn in the middle of any street and park across 2 spaces in any parking lot.

But then again I doubt if we could all agree on the best ice cream flavor either.
Even though we all know it's chocolate caramel swirl.
Bam,

You got it all!

Two bedrooms a bathroom a kitchen a hallway a pantry a closet a dining room and the famous "Bam Lounge."all in a 16 footer.

P.S. The best ice cream flavor is Bryers cherry vanilla.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Although our 25 SS is fine, the corner bed is small, and difficult to put sheets on.

I think the 28 with the larger rear bedroom would be nice. It has a sofa, dinette, and decent sized bed... all without any setup/teardown.

We won't be upgrading as our works fine, but if I won the lottery...
Old 12-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed in other threads, but I've been thinking about floor plans lately. Airstream has been building travel trailers for decades. What do you, gentle Airstreamers, think is the best Airstream floor plan ever. . I think it's useful to hear what people think is the "best" floor plan... and why.
The vintage kin manufacturers also tried variations on this, so a look at on-line available Avion, Silver Streak & Streamline brochures might offer the pinprick needed to set off on another tangent of visualization.

SILVERAVION :: Archives

Silver Streak Brochure Page

Streamline Brochures Listing Page
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
25FB is working well for us for all the reasons stated above. Our first requirement was a 60-inch queen bed. The fully-opening windows bring the outside in on nice days.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Space being limited every floorplan has it's own personality, compromises and priorities. But for me the best Airstream floorplan is the one you are standing in. Gotta love them all. I have never met one I didn't like. Now about that ice cream flavor...Dreamin of streamin in #6.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
a look at on-line available Avion, Silver Streak & Streamline brochures might offer the pinprick needed to set off on another tangent of isualization.

SILVERAVION :: Archives
Thanks. I really like the ideas from the 1978 23' Avion. As far as "best floor plan" for us they all revolve around a rear door. Unfortunately we have a standard front door 24' Argosy with double bed. It worked OK for us but as we are soon (not soon enough ) to be empty nesters it would be really nice to make a change.

Problems with the 24' Argosy double bed model. Number one is for the length of this trailer the living space is rather limited. This is because it is divided between the front Gaucho and kitchen (entertainment space) and the rear "bedroom" (storage space). You can't really have more than three people in the trailer and interact. A dinette would be better than the pull-out table which requires every one to scoot over and get up for the inside person to get out. Plus the pull out table is not very stable and easy to bump (especially when you all have to scoot over and get up).

That said it does have some nice features for two people (parents and two kids). There is a lot of hanging space, storage and a "dresser". The two compartment layout does provide for the ability for two separate activities. Or to just "wall off" your mess .

The front door rear bath is the worst of all worlds. The shower is cramped for a six footer. You have to go all the way through the trailer dragging in dirt and sqeezing past the galley and anyone using the rear bed/bench. It's really only optimized for one person at night. Anyone in front has to squeeze by the people in the "private" bedroom and the person on the wall has to crawl over or around the person on the isle. The other drawback is it places the waste water tanks in about the worst possible location as far as weight distribution which is an issue for good towing characteristics and contributes to issues of frame/shell separation.

So, with our '78 Argosy Double in need of fairly extensive interior restoration it's time to decide if it's worth doing some rearrangement or selling the trailer and starting with a rear door model. Buying a late model trailer is not in the budget. A rear door of the same vintage would require just as much work; maybe more (better to stay with the devil you know). Also, as noted I'm not wild about the rear bath which is standard on all the rear door models.

I'm not going to cut into the shell and move the exterior door and I'd really like to avoid moving any exterior vents. The Avion 23 looks like it fills most of my requirements with a minimum of such relocation. The fridge would have to stay put which means the range would have to find a new home. If the sink went where the Avion plans show the fridge (basicaly where it currently is on our trailer) plumbing would be simplified, the furnace wouldn't have to move, it would let two people work at the same time and... it would make a nice wet bar . Putting the stove where the sink is shown would require a new hood vent but maybe the original hood vent would make a nice bathroom addition for moisture removal and ... er .

Another floor plan fopaux is as 78GussyTX mentioned, the wrap around windows are usually pointing the wrong way. Even if you luck out and find a campsite where it's facing the view you're not when sitting at the Gaucho . Two things come to mind with respect to using the modified Avion layout. First, as designed it doesn't require changing the gaucho right away which is good because the fresh water tank is in the way. A front dinette might be better but I've been wondering if there's any way this could be used as counter seating where you face the windows. Big ticket item (one of those probably never happen ideas) would be to find a parts trailer and install rear wrap around windows like the motorhomes and some of the longer Argosys had .

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Rear queen br, mid ba, front lr, 30' Classic ...love it...
can close off the br, uable counter space...one thing to make it better would be a 30' with a slide out...
Only wish they had enough sense to put in a sofa that actually was comfortable when open to sleep on. We have an extra thick pad just to make it comfortable.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtyme View Post
Rear queen br, mid ba, front lr, 30' Classic ...love it...
can close off the br, uable counter space...one thing to make it better would be a 30' with a slide out...
Only wish they had enough sense to put in a sofa that actually was comfortable when open to sleep on. We have an extra thick pad just to make it comfortable.

We have the same layout as you and it is also the perfect one for us - we chose it specifically.

You didn't mention if you have a dinette. We have one, and as much as I know some people don't care for them it was a "must" for us as we have had them in all previous non-AS trailers ad always enjoyed them.

At first we were not keen on the centre bath layout that leaves the "can" exposed when both sliding doors are open to access the bedroom. We soon got accustomed to it though and really appreciate the extra large bathroom that you get with both sliding doors closed - ie full width of the trailer with shower on one side, toilet on the other.

Another plus for us is that my wife tends to stay up watching tv much later than me. With both sliders closed between living area and bedroom I am well isolated!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
Thanks. I really like the ideas from the 1978 23' Avion.
I like that layout too. But, from what I've been told by knowledgable Avion resources, the 70s and 80s 23-foot Avions number in the 10s. Avion was heavily building larger trailers - even a Avion 25H is a comparatively rare bird.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
My favorite has always been the Safari 28, get a dinette, and a sofa, and don't have those *$^#@* corner beds.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #33

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
For me the best is one that I don't have to make monthly payments on!!!!

Our 25' Avion with rear bath/center double is very open. It actually feels roomier than our 31' Sovereign rear center bath.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
No, we don't have a dinette...don't want one, take up too much space...we put up the table when we need it, which only takes a minute, we use it and down it goes. For the amount of time we need a table, I prefer having more LR space. Mostly we use the picnic tables...outside...thats camping. We have had occasion to put up both tables (across from each other) and seat 6 for dinner or 8 for games when the weather does not cooperate. Another reason I like our Airstream.
That is why they make different floorplans, people have different needs. You have to figure out what would work best for you. Just like your house, lots of different styles, floorplans.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I like that layout too. But, from what I've been told by knowledgable Avion resources, the 70s and 80s 23-foot Avions number in the 10s. Avion was heavily building larger trailers - even a Avion 25H is a comparatively rare bird.

Tom
That sounds about right. You see darn few Avions from that vintage period and I can't say I've ever seen a 23. And I'll bet they're a lot heavier than a 22-24' Argosy of the same vintage. It does give me some nice (dangerous ) ideas about how to go about rebuilding our 24. I know it's usually way easier to rebuild something exactly the way it was but rebuilding that rear corner shower to where it's usable might be just as much work as converting to a center bath. And I wouldn't miss the street side "desk" one little bit. And the closet that holds the Univolt and breakers is an inefficient use of space. It would all fit under a dinette bench and be easier to access!
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Still Working On It

Although we coveted a 28 Safari floor plan in 2004 we bought a 2002 22 International (same floor plan as the CCD).

Corner bed and no couch caused us to enter the market again and with the advent of the Safari 28 SE we met our match. After some use we decided the dinette was too confining and uncomfortable so out with the dinette and in with recliners. Instant versatility, more room to move things around and much more comfort.

Note the wall mount for the 32" HDTV which added substantially to the enjoyment factor for extended stays on the road. Yes, way too heavy to travel with it on the bath wall but easy enough to store on the bed till we get to a destination.

Still working on the overall package, this year we added a solar panel and streetside and rear awnings. Not part of the floorplan but extras to make the overall experience better.

There is no such thing as the perfect floorplan. There are always compromises.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I'll make a quick argument for the 23' CCD. If you're short and don't mind a corner bed, there's not much unused space in this model (like walkaround floor space around the bed). Storage is enough for even longer trips and two equal sized closets are nice. The longer couch is great to hang out on, and folding down the dinette and widening the couch makes a nice alternate sleeping or lounging location. I would have skipped the microwave and gone with a larger size fridge with separate freezer. The smallest model with double axle and less width than the 25' has some towing advantages.
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:15 AM   #38
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Ken is a very smart guy. He is letting the forums members do his research marketing for him...

Okay, I am going to add my two cents to the mix. Ken the best functioning best layout of all times was done in one model for three years and then in a few custom situations there after. It is the 1954-56 Front kitchen Safari. 54Safari Unfortunately, your Overlander does not have that row of windows that make this layout so appealing, but this layout is made for two traveling for long periods of time. I like this layout so much that I now own two of them and am trying to buy a third. Small but very functional galley in the front, stove in front of the window so you can look out and survey things while cooking. Toilet and sink, showers are at the bath house. A side dinette that converts to a double when the grand kids come along. Two full time twins. A huge wardrobe to store those red blazers and white tuxedos in. A small dresser and long overhead equals storage out the wazzoo. Perfect layout. It was designed by early caravaners and I am not sure why it did not catch on. I guess it limits the use to two people.

Just a slight diversion to the 25FB crowd...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Ah, I received an email and now I know why... this old thread jumped back to life.

Floorplans are incredibly personal. While a dinette is practical, my wife likes sitting on a sofa with me when we're watching a movie. She naps; I don't. So, we want the bedroom to feel "isolated" from the rest of the coach. The galley can be small but functional. The bathroom has to have enough elbow room to actually use.

Frank's right. If we could "lose" the bathroom, we could have a great, open coach. Unfortunately, COMNAVSPOUSPAC (Commander, Naval Spouse Pacific) has suggested she doesn't want to stumble to the bath house in the middle of the night.

We think the Overlander is about the right length (and shape). In a perfect world, I'd like another foot of length, a rear door, great wrap around windows in the back, vista view windows (which I think are incredibly cool), and flip the bed to the front of the coach. But hey, I guess no one should be happy with just one Airstream.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
After many years of "looking" but not buying...I am leaning toward the 27FB...or the 28' with L "couch".

Not sure how comfortable the dinettes are for "sitting" (either the FB dinette/lounge or the 28' dinette)...say working on the computer or just drinking coffee?

Also still torn between the twin beds and RV queen...we have King bed at home...rpobably would not be a deal breaker if we found the "right" slightly used AS here in the upper midwest.

Oh yes...priced to reflect the current discounted new units

Tom R in Two Harbors, MN

P.S. Still think the 34' are magnificent! TMR
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote