Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #81
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Best floor plan: Intl. Serenity 25RB Twin

We went with the Intl. Serenity 25RB Twin. If you're tall (my husband is 6'4") your feet will be dangling off most RV beds because they're not a standard 80" length (usually 75-76 inches). The twin beds come closest at 78" and also give you an additional 4 inches of sleeping width per person over the queen size. Also, while the better view is often at the back of the space, so is the peace and quiet while sleeping.

We like the dinette at the front so we can wave to people passing and watch what's going on in the park, and in the Serenity the dinette back cushions are high enough to give good back support so both of us can work on our laptops at the table for the 2-3 hours a day that we work online.

The 25ft model is small enough to get into almost all parks and campgrounds, but big enough for the two of us plus two cats and a large (60 lb.) dog.

But let's face it, what everyone loves is the light and views from all those windows.
KathrynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
stow , Ohio
We love the 27FB. It tows just like a 25' but having the queen bed with 2 night stands is perfect. We do not need the extra storage the twin beds provide plus not having to sleep against a wall is nice.
Carrma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The best floor plan is....

International Bambi 16 with both front & rear paranomic wrap around windows!
I hope they will bring it back in 2020 when I’m ready to buy one!
Case closed!
SHalim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Houston , Texas
Wondering what size engine you have in your Tundra. We have the 5.7 liter. I was hoping it could pull a 30 footer...
Rage51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Living Simply, a reason why I choose to live in Airstream

I don’t have Tundra, I have Honda Ridgeline with a max towing capacity at 5K lbs. I don’t want to be a hoarder, I believe for myself with two cats, 16 foot Bambi is plenty enough space! I’m looking for up to 22 ft airstream but I still believe the International Bambi 16 has the best floor plan or International CCD 22, but it may push over the limit!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
The best Airstream floorplan isn't made. It would be the 30 Classic floorplan simply reversed.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
The best Airstream floorplan isn't made. It would be the 30 Classic floorplan simply reversed.
Disagree; the 33' Classic comes pretty darned close to perfect, with the rear shower, projection TV, etc...just a lot of metal to haul around! But, if you have not checked one out, it give you a whole different perspective on perfection with an AS! (of course, may not be matched well with a Honda Pilot...

We had a less than 1 year old Honda Pilot when we purchased our first 25' AS...ended up getting a Tahoe shortly after. If I was looking at matching the Pilot, I would also consider the 19' and 22' models. How do you know which one?? My advice is visit each model several times on a dealers lot, and think about how you would live in it. The 16' is pretty small, but some folks love them...if your spending a lot of time on the road, you may want to consider a larger unit and perhaps even a new TV. If not sure, purchase used and see how it works out for you..that way, when you sell you likely will not loose out too much $$ assuming you purchase at a good price.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Bern - Thun , Berner Oberland
My floorplan

My ideal floor plan! The concept like the existing, architecturally styled, airy, open. Contemporary comfort hidden inside. My biggest DIY - work!
Greetings from Switzerland - Werner

Photos: http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...mageuser=90917

Cruiser6483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #89
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"Best" is space utilization per what's available.

Maximization of storage space.

Weight centered over axles.

It's also keeping HVAC costs down (rear bath; thus one A/C unit and a furnace not constantly running).

Taking these out to logical conclusions resulted in that traditional floor plan.
Or, why about a 28' TT had it all. As in my earlier post with links to vintage kin. See also older AS brochures.

Be sure to note the compromises between individual desires, and practicality. That one floor plan (twin beds) pretty well can't be beat.

Let us know after you've had a decade or more to try them all (ha!)

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
"Best" is always subjective, but here's why I choose a 26U, now the 26RBQ.
1. No dinette. I hate dinettes.
2. Dual axles. I swore I'd never have another trailer with single axle.
3. Not too heavy. I want to tow with 1/2 ton.
4. Decent shower. Not one where the wheel well takes up all the floor space.
5. Bed not against the outer wall. And decent walk around room.
6. Can I watch the TV without my head 90 degrees? Most floor plans have the lounge and TV in a line???
7. Split table. I can take half off, and turn sideways so I have a cocktail table or smaller dining table.
8. 50 amp service. You don't have to use it all, but...

What would I add? More outside storage.
What would I get rid of? The awning. Does anyone really use them? I like the smaller street side awnings, but the giant, complicated, mechanical thing will never be used.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
"Best" is always subjective, but here's why I choose a 26U, now the 26RBQ.
1. No dinette. I hate dinettes.
2. Dual axles. I swore I'd never have another trailer with single axle.
3. Not too heavy. I want to tow with 1/2 ton.
4. Decent shower. Not one where the wheel well takes up all the floor space.
5. Bed not against the outer wall. And decent walk around room.
6. Can I watch the TV without my head 90 degrees? Most floor plans have the lounge and TV in a line???
7. Split table. I can take half off, and turn sideways so I have a cocktail table or smaller dining table.
8. 50 amp service. You don't have to use it all, but...

What would I add? More outside storage.
What would I get rid of? The awning. Does anyone really use them? I like the smaller street side awnings, but the giant, complicated, mechanical thing will never be used.
We use the awnings most every time we stop, even if for one night. Once you watch the video and understand how to open/close the right way, the large one is not a problem, least for me.

The "Twin" models typically, give you more outside storage...not obvious, unless you look at a twin model...after 4 AS's, last 3 have been twin models....the 25' FB model for example, has 3 outside storage bins; the "rear bed model" has 4. Same for larger models...the twins give you 2 more storage lockers at least! I do like the U shaped dinning in the 26', but wife did not like the location of the refrigerator and bathroom door. (not good to have the wife not happy!) 26U comes in twin also, as you likely know...look at the outside storage on the twins!

We wanted the separated dining from the lounge area and aren't ready for a 30 yet, so we got the 28' twin. Love it so far; we pull out the ledge under the couch to extend our lounge area for watching tv...works well for us.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We use the awnings most every time we stop, even if for one night. Once you watch the video and understand how to open/close the right way, the large one is not a problem, least for me.
I had an 18' awning on the MH. It worked fine, I just didn't use it.
I liked to vacation in the west where many of the campgrounds had shelters over their picnic tables. Then, if I left for the day, I feared the wind would come up and damage it, so I didn't use it. Several times me and others stored the awnings of people who were gone and a storm came up. Glad to do it.
The Airstream awning is much more complicated. I know how it works, I just don't use it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
More info, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
we pull out the ledge under the couch to extend our lounge area for watching tv...works well for us.
I like this idea. To clarify, how do you provide extra cushion, assuming that you don't extend the ledge fully? If you carry extra cushion for this purpose, where do you store them?
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I would love to have a floor plan that would be as follows starting from the hitch end:
A. Bathroom same as in 33' Classic on the hitch end.
B. Twin beds next to bathroom
C. Kitchen next
D. U Dinette/Bed same as in 26U on other end.

Not sure how long this would take, but 28 feet would be ideal. Also not sure if this is feasible from a weight distribution, tank locations, wheel wells, etc. But if doable, I would trade my 27FB for one immediately.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #95
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I had an 18' awning on the MH. It worked fine, I just didn't use it.
I liked to vacation in the west where many of the campgrounds had shelters over their picnic tables. Then, if I left for the day, I feared the wind would come up and damage it, so I didn't use it. Several times me and others stored the awnings of people who were gone and a storm came up. Glad to do it.
The Airstream awning is much more complicated. I know how it works, I just don't use it.
I'd wager that in time you will.

It creates a buffer between the trailer entrance and "public" areas. Greater privacy. Strangers respect that space.

A Moho sits high. Creates that space by floor height -- stepping up and away -- from the ground. A TT like ours needs some help in this respect.

Moho roofs are so tall that intimacy isn't present with an awning out. This is a distinct difference. On a Class A they almost look foolish.

The awning out cuts sound from my activities, too. I might be outside with the radio on. The awning can help cut the range it can be heard. Lights, sounds and activities are muted.

While obviously nice for sunny days, keeping the ground next to the door cooler really helps with AC use & comfort (full or next-to-full extension, not just partial as with the area covered by other awnings. Those are only good for keeping trailer skin cool.)

There are plenty of evenings and nights where use of the awning helps retain some warmth near the door. Depends on geography, still . . . .

There are projects where one wants the mess outside. An awning can keep the breeze from depositing stuff into food being prepped. Painting. Not to mention doing these things in the rain. Etc.

I've had to spend some hot days in take-it-apart-and-repair-it. The awning made that bearable.

This list can continue. Screen rooms a subject of their own.

I've had them fail, spent too much, and I once had an SS with a skin tear the PO suffered when the awning got airborne. Have tried all kinds of gadgets to steady them (22' long on current TT).

I'd equate the sound the awning makes in a light breeze as important in memory as the hiss of a Coleman lantern or the ancient coffee percolator my father had.

I suppose it's like the sound of sailboat rigging, rocking at anchor.

An RV is naked without one. It's the second most obvious deficiency to me of that Hoffman Arch. trailer in a recent thread.

Ands it is (they are) as necessary to a metal-skinned trailer as AC itself.

No, I sure don't roll that thing out on a whim. But I don't see that part as any different than using propane. Mindfulness is always part of it.

As to "best floor plan" it'st central: a defined outdoor area we most of prefer to be surfaced with other than dirt. The awning is its retractable roof. More places for people to be without crowding one another.

I sincerely believe that full set of extended awnings on an a trailer type like ours brings them to their greatest beauty. How could one not fall in love with camping in that fashion?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:08 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Can someone tell me which floor plan is ideal for a full time living up to 22 foot? I’m a minimalist one person with two adult cats. I’m thinking either Bambi 16 with front & rear paranomic wrap around windows or Sport 22. I also saw the older model 2006 CCD 22 with double axles, but not sure my Honda Ridgeline could handle that. I don’t want to trade in for another TV. I may plan to be a full time for a few years until I find the right place to settle down eventually to purchase a small cottage. Thank you!!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
I like this idea. To clarify, how do you provide extra cushion, assuming that you don't extend the ledge fully? If you carry extra cushion for this purpose, where do you store them?
We take the back cushion off one of the dinette seats, since we are not sitting there anyway...pop off Velcro and slides right into the ledge; fits nicely and adds to the comfort of the couch. We have the new textured ultra leather also, which eliminated the slip/slide effect we had with our 2014 25'.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I would love to have a floor plan that would be as follows starting from the hitch end:
A. Bathroom same as in 33' Classic on the hitch end.
B. Twin beds next to bathroom
C. Kitchen next
D. U Dinette/Bed same as in 26U on other end.

Not sure how long this would take, but 28 feet would be ideal. Also not sure if this is feasible from a weight distribution, tank locations, wheel wells, etc. But if doable, I would trade my 27FB for one immediately.
Our first 2006, 25' Safari had L-shaped couch in the rear, and separate dinette; the bed, however, was like the D series 23'; mattress only 48" wide. Bath was a bit cramped next to the bed in rear.

I always thought it would be great to have a 25 or 26' model with same layout, like our 28' twin- separate lounge and dinning, with couch facing the TV. The long lounge seating they put in the 25' & 27' models today is just not comfortable for watching TV or lounging...seems it could be laid out much more efficiently for comfort like the 28-30' models allow. Don't need that "bump" on the sink either. It just takes up room in the galley for getting around. But that's just my thinking out loud... The 26' U seating is great.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHalim88 View Post
Can someone tell me which floor plan is ideal for a full time living up to 22 foot? I’m a minimalist one person with two adult cats. I’m thinking either Bambi 16 with front & rear paranomic wrap around windows or Sport 22. I also saw the older model 2006 CCD 22 with double axles, but not sure my Honda Ridgeline could handle that. I don’t want to trade in for another TV. I may plan to be a full time for a few years until I find the right place to settle down eventually to purchase a small cottage. Thank you!!
You mention your not going to purchase till 2020? I would wait till your ready then and see what else is out there that your Ridgeline will handle. Right now the 16' or 22' sports or the 19' and 20' FC's could work with that TV..go spend time at a dealer sitting in each model to help make up your mind. Imagine yourself in that model. You still have 3 years till you pull the trigger, according to your earlier post. Spend some time at an AS dealer and see which one feels right for your needs.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage51 View Post
Wondering what size engine you have in your Tundra. We have the 5.7 liter. I was hoping it could pull a 30 footer...

I have a 30 foot Classic. I love the tundra but not enough truck for me to feel safe. Many others will feel differently especially the Ford 150 crowd but I would consider a bigger diesel truck if you afford it for a variety of reason that have been expounded up in other topics in the past.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote