Old 08-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Rear queen br, mid ba, front lr, 30' Classic ...love it...
can close off the br, uable counter space...one thing to make it better would be a 30' with a slide out...
Only wish they had enough sense to put in a sofa that actually was comfortable when open to sleep on. We have an extra thick pad just to make it comfortable.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtyme View Post
Rear queen br, mid ba, front lr, 30' Classic ...love it...
can close off the br, uable counter space...one thing to make it better would be a 30' with a slide out...
Only wish they had enough sense to put in a sofa that actually was comfortable when open to sleep on. We have an extra thick pad just to make it comfortable.

We have the same layout as you and it is also the perfect one for us - we chose it specifically.

You didn't mention if you have a dinette. We have one, and as much as I know some people don't care for them it was a "must" for us as we have had them in all previous non-AS trailers ad always enjoyed them.

At first we were not keen on the centre bath layout that leaves the "can" exposed when both sliding doors are open to access the bedroom. We soon got accustomed to it though and really appreciate the extra large bathroom that you get with both sliding doors closed - ie full width of the trailer with shower on one side, toilet on the other.

Another plus for us is that my wife tends to stay up watching tv much later than me. With both sliders closed between living area and bedroom I am well isolated!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
Thanks. I really like the ideas from the 1978 23' Avion.
I like that layout too. But, from what I've been told by knowledgable Avion resources, the 70s and 80s 23-foot Avions number in the 10s. Avion was heavily building larger trailers - even a Avion 25H is a comparatively rare bird.

Tom
Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
My favorite has always been the Safari 28, get a dinette, and a sofa, and don't have those *$^#@* corner beds.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #33

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
For me the best is one that I don't have to make monthly payments on!!!!

Our 25' Avion with rear bath/center double is very open. It actually feels roomier than our 31' Sovereign rear center bath.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
No, we don't have a dinette...don't want one, take up too much space...we put up the table when we need it, which only takes a minute, we use it and down it goes. For the amount of time we need a table, I prefer having more LR space. Mostly we use the picnic tables...outside...thats camping. We have had occasion to put up both tables (across from each other) and seat 6 for dinner or 8 for games when the weather does not cooperate. Another reason I like our Airstream.
That is why they make different floorplans, people have different needs. You have to figure out what would work best for you. Just like your house, lots of different styles, floorplans.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I like that layout too. But, from what I've been told by knowledgable Avion resources, the 70s and 80s 23-foot Avions number in the 10s. Avion was heavily building larger trailers - even a Avion 25H is a comparatively rare bird.

Tom
That sounds about right. You see darn few Avions from that vintage period and I can't say I've ever seen a 23. And I'll bet they're a lot heavier than a 22-24' Argosy of the same vintage. It does give me some nice (dangerous ) ideas about how to go about rebuilding our 24. I know it's usually way easier to rebuild something exactly the way it was but rebuilding that rear corner shower to where it's usable might be just as much work as converting to a center bath. And I wouldn't miss the street side "desk" one little bit. And the closet that holds the Univolt and breakers is an inefficient use of space. It would all fit under a dinette bench and be easier to access!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Still Working On It

Although we coveted a 28 Safari floor plan in 2004 we bought a 2002 22 International (same floor plan as the CCD).

Corner bed and no couch caused us to enter the market again and with the advent of the Safari 28 SE we met our match. After some use we decided the dinette was too confining and uncomfortable so out with the dinette and in with recliners. Instant versatility, more room to move things around and much more comfort.

Note the wall mount for the 32" HDTV which added substantially to the enjoyment factor for extended stays on the road. Yes, way too heavy to travel with it on the bath wall but easy enough to store on the bed till we get to a destination.

Still working on the overall package, this year we added a solar panel and streetside and rear awnings. Not part of the floorplan but extras to make the overall experience better.

There is no such thing as the perfect floorplan. There are always compromises.

Corky
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I'll make a quick argument for the 23' CCD. If you're short and don't mind a corner bed, there's not much unused space in this model (like walkaround floor space around the bed). Storage is enough for even longer trips and two equal sized closets are nice. The longer couch is great to hang out on, and folding down the dinette and widening the couch makes a nice alternate sleeping or lounging location. I would have skipped the microwave and gone with a larger size fridge with separate freezer. The smallest model with double axle and less width than the 25' has some towing advantages.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #38
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Ken is a very smart guy. He is letting the forums members do his research marketing for him...

Okay, I am going to add my two cents to the mix. Ken the best functioning best layout of all times was done in one model for three years and then in a few custom situations there after. It is the 1954-56 Front kitchen Safari. 54Safari Unfortunately, your Overlander does not have that row of windows that make this layout so appealing, but this layout is made for two traveling for long periods of time. I like this layout so much that I now own two of them and am trying to buy a third. Small but very functional galley in the front, stove in front of the window so you can look out and survey things while cooking. Toilet and sink, showers are at the bath house. A side dinette that converts to a double when the grand kids come along. Two full time twins. A huge wardrobe to store those red blazers and white tuxedos in. A small dresser and long overhead equals storage out the wazzoo. Perfect layout. It was designed by early caravaners and I am not sure why it did not catch on. I guess it limits the use to two people.

Just a slight diversion to the 25FB crowd...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Ah, I received an email and now I know why... this old thread jumped back to life.

Floorplans are incredibly personal. While a dinette is practical, my wife likes sitting on a sofa with me when we're watching a movie. She naps; I don't. So, we want the bedroom to feel "isolated" from the rest of the coach. The galley can be small but functional. The bathroom has to have enough elbow room to actually use.

Frank's right. If we could "lose" the bathroom, we could have a great, open coach. Unfortunately, COMNAVSPOUSPAC (Commander, Naval Spouse Pacific) has suggested she doesn't want to stumble to the bath house in the middle of the night.

We think the Overlander is about the right length (and shape). In a perfect world, I'd like another foot of length, a rear door, great wrap around windows in the back, vista view windows (which I think are incredibly cool), and flip the bed to the front of the coach. But hey, I guess no one should be happy with just one Airstream.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
After many years of "looking" but not buying...I am leaning toward the 27FB...or the 28' with L "couch".

Not sure how comfortable the dinettes are for "sitting" (either the FB dinette/lounge or the 28' dinette)...say working on the computer or just drinking coffee?

Also still torn between the twin beds and RV queen...we have King bed at home...rpobably would not be a deal breaker if we found the "right" slightly used AS here in the upper midwest.

Oh yes...priced to reflect the current discounted new units

Tom R in Two Harbors, MN

P.S. Still think the 34' are magnificent! TMR
Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Okay, I am going to add my two cents...the best functioning best layout of all times was done in one model for three years and then in a few custom situations there after. It is the 1954-56 Front kitchen Safari.
I have to agree with Frank on this one.

We have a '56 Safari under restoration, but have used it enough this year (20 nights so far) to know the layout is just about perfect for two. Yes, the bathroom is small - but who hangs out in the bathroom for hours? (uh no, I really don't want to know....) We'd much rather have the space for the multi-functional "living" space we use more. I absolutely love, Love, LOVE all the windows on the streetside - just about everybody that steps into it comments they do too. The whole trailer is nice & open, has more storage than I think we will ever use and with twins in the back that can be used as sofas during the day, it'll be a perfect hangout for 10-12 people in bad weather...but we try to stick with the old 6-4-2 rule..."six for cocktails, four for dinner & two for bed".

Another advantage is when towing or backing, you can see through the entire trailer behind you - no bathroom across the trailer to impede your view. I'm sure there are other models that do this, but it was new to us after our '64 GlobeTrotter with a full bath across the back and a door.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebowdrie View Post
My favorite has always been the Safari 28, get a dinette, and a sofa, and don't have those *$^#@* corner beds.
I have to agree with this. Of the floorplans available in the new units I like the 28' the best. My only gripe is that the shower is over the wheel well and half of the shower floor is raised. The bed could be a few inches narrower giving a few inches more to the sides.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote