Old 12-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #15

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, as one who has not yet invested in an AS, I'm gonna dream, and dream big.

I'd like a 34' Classic Limited, with an "L" lounge option and rear twins, please!

A real dinette, a roomy sitting area, tons (for an AS) of storage space, and good-sized bathroom. Oh, and the largest sleeping are for two people available in an AS. I'm 5'17" and a light sleeper, so I want space, and nobody walking by me to get to the loo.

And, I'll be buying it as soon as I win the lottery.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
The perfect Airstream floor plan, hum....

Rear bath, mid twins, front sofa w/ folding table.
How long? 26/27 sounds good.

Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
The best Airstream floor plan?

I always thought that the Overlander with Center Twins was my favorite floor plan, but the Argosy 24 Rear Door floor plan has really made me think more closely about my choice -- either way the rear bath is an absolute requirement. I like the fact that the front twin lounge converts into a cozy bedroom. The floor plan is below, and I believe that it was only offered in 1976 and 1977 which helps to explain its scarcity.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
1976 31' Sovereign
Upstate , ...
Loaded Question...

I have two strong preferences...a rear bath, and a double bed. I suppose in a perfect world I'd have a rear bath, front bedroom design of some type.

Just my $0.02

"...the most confident critics are generally those who know the least about the matter criticised."

Ulysses S. Grant

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The wife and I enjoy touring AS dealers and looking at the variety there. If I'm going for broke (ha!), I've also got to vote for the 25FB. It just seems to have it all in the shortest package. Side bath, rear lounge, dinette, front bedroom. Sweet.

In the vintage world, my favorite is a toss-up between the 78-79 Safari and the later Caravanners. (Been in both at rallies.) I really like the two couches and the swivel chair "front salon." One of those in International trim with the vista view windows, and I melt. It almost makes me want to restore a vintage unit. I picture one in pieces in my driveway for years.

Small trailer-wise I actually prefer the current 16' Bambi to the 19's. Not fond of the side corner bed. The 22' Argosy Minuet also seems spacious, with 3 streetside windows and the neat angled countertop.

But by the time I add in time-till-depreciation-meets-affordability, my preference for smaller trailers, desire of fully opening windows, and an apprehension of vintage - a newer Safari SE 20' or 23FB is probably the overall sweet spot.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
We love the layout of our old '78 Argosy, which is mid section bunks, front goucho. It is very roomy even for 5 of us (3 kids 9 and under).

BUT while there are many advantages to rear bath, mainly that the bath is out of the way, the one thing I don't like is that when we use campsite on the water, which we usually do between Gulf of Mexico and Lake Conroe North of Houston, it obviously becomes very difficult to park with the living area (front) windows facing the water! The Tundra TV doesn't float very well, at least I don't think.

I thought about floating the Airstream in on the back of my 24 ft Aquasport Explorer cuddy cabin boat, but I didn't think about that for very long.

So I like the layout, I just wish we could figure out a way to "pull in" to "back in" campsites!!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
I like the wrap-around sofas in these models:
Floor Plans < Product Family | Airstream Europe : Airstream floor plan, model range, layout (Don't know how to attach an image, so please follow link to photos.)

I would rather have the layout of the Model 684s be flip-flopped with the sofa in the back and the bedroom in front.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Well, it seems as though the 25 footer is very popular. We are very pleased with our 25 Safari SS. The corner bath has a very nice size shower. While the corner bed is a little challenging it is very comfortable for us.

Since I have never owned a larger trailer I can't speak about the ease of handling and the parking of a longer unit. With a smaller trailer it is not difficult to get into most gas stations, Cracker Barrells, or anywhere else I choose to go.

The Sleeper Six offers a lot of value for its size. I really have no desire for a larger unit. Pulling more trailer down the road that what I need makes no sense in this day of high fuel prices.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Juniper Hills , The Great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Oh of course it's the 16 footer.

The 2 bedroom floor plan allows for a separate bedroom nook in the back
and the spacious guest bedroom/dinette in the front.
(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)
There is even a partition for privacy between the two (there actually is).

And I can U turn in the middle of any street and park across 2 spaces in any parking lot.

But then again I doubt if we could all agree on the best ice cream flavor either.
Even though we all know it's chocolate caramel swirl.
Bam,

You got it all!

Two bedrooms a bathroom a kitchen a hallway a pantry a closet a dining room and the famous "Bam Lounge."all in a 16 footer.

P.S. The best ice cream flavor is Bryers cherry vanilla.

We have Airstream parking for overnighters.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Although our 25 SS is fine, the corner bed is small, and difficult to put sheets on.

I think the 28 with the larger rear bedroom would be nice. It has a sofa, dinette, and decent sized bed... all without any setup/teardown.

We won't be upgrading as our works fine, but if I won the lottery...
Old 12-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed in other threads, but I've been thinking about floor plans lately. Airstream has been building travel trailers for decades. What do you, gentle Airstreamers, think is the best Airstream floor plan ever. . I think it's useful to hear what people think is the "best" floor plan... and why.
The vintage kin manufacturers also tried variations on this, so a look at on-line available Avion, Silver Streak & Streamline brochures might offer the pinprick needed to set off on another tangent of visualization.

SILVERAVION :: Archives

Silver Streak Brochure Page

Streamline Brochures Listing Page
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
25FB is working well for us for all the reasons stated above. Our first requirement was a 60-inch queen bed. The fully-opening windows bring the outside in on nice days.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Space being limited every floorplan has it's own personality, compromises and priorities. But for me the best Airstream floorplan is the one you are standing in. Gotta love them all. I have never met one I didn't like. Now about that ice cream flavor...Dreamin of streamin in #6.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
a look at on-line available Avion, Silver Streak & Streamline brochures might offer the pinprick needed to set off on another tangent of isualization.

SILVERAVION :: Archives
Thanks. I really like the ideas from the 1978 23' Avion. As far as "best floor plan" for us they all revolve around a rear door. Unfortunately we have a standard front door 24' Argosy with double bed. It worked OK for us but as we are soon (not soon enough ) to be empty nesters it would be really nice to make a change.

Problems with the 24' Argosy double bed model. Number one is for the length of this trailer the living space is rather limited. This is because it is divided between the front Gaucho and kitchen (entertainment space) and the rear "bedroom" (storage space). You can't really have more than three people in the trailer and interact. A dinette would be better than the pull-out table which requires every one to scoot over and get up for the inside person to get out. Plus the pull out table is not very stable and easy to bump (especially when you all have to scoot over and get up).

That said it does have some nice features for two people (parents and two kids). There is a lot of hanging space, storage and a "dresser". The two compartment layout does provide for the ability for two separate activities. Or to just "wall off" your mess .

The front door rear bath is the worst of all worlds. The shower is cramped for a six footer. You have to go all the way through the trailer dragging in dirt and sqeezing past the galley and anyone using the rear bed/bench. It's really only optimized for one person at night. Anyone in front has to squeeze by the people in the "private" bedroom and the person on the wall has to crawl over or around the person on the isle. The other drawback is it places the waste water tanks in about the worst possible location as far as weight distribution which is an issue for good towing characteristics and contributes to issues of frame/shell separation.

So, with our '78 Argosy Double in need of fairly extensive interior restoration it's time to decide if it's worth doing some rearrangement or selling the trailer and starting with a rear door model. Buying a late model trailer is not in the budget. A rear door of the same vintage would require just as much work; maybe more (better to stay with the devil you know). Also, as noted I'm not wild about the rear bath which is standard on all the rear door models.

I'm not going to cut into the shell and move the exterior door and I'd really like to avoid moving any exterior vents. The Avion 23 looks like it fills most of my requirements with a minimum of such relocation. The fridge would have to stay put which means the range would have to find a new home. If the sink went where the Avion plans show the fridge (basicaly where it currently is on our trailer) plumbing would be simplified, the furnace wouldn't have to move, it would let two people work at the same time and... it would make a nice wet bar . Putting the stove where the sink is shown would require a new hood vent but maybe the original hood vent would make a nice bathroom addition for moisture removal and ... er .

Another floor plan fopaux is as 78GussyTX mentioned, the wrap around windows are usually pointing the wrong way. Even if you luck out and find a campsite where it's facing the view you're not when sitting at the Gaucho . Two things come to mind with respect to using the modified Avion layout. First, as designed it doesn't require changing the gaucho right away which is good because the fresh water tank is in the way. A front dinette might be better but I've been wondering if there's any way this could be used as counter seating where you face the windows. Big ticket item (one of those probably never happen ideas) would be to find a parts trailer and install rear wrap around windows like the motorhomes and some of the longer Argosys had .

-Bernie