Old 07-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

that smell

That smell is probably a combination of mold accumulation in the bowels and storage areas, and from a leak someplace. Carpet is one place to start, I pulled all of mine out. check... under the sink, closet, under the beds. and the couch.
if you have polybutyline plumbing you may have leaks.
check the stove vent going to the outside, mine was never sealed properly
by the half-as#$ed installers at AS back in 91.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #16
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Yellow Spray Bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Uwe -- I think our replies are running along the same vein. I think most of our odor is behind the galley, where the range and furnace are located, but it's also in other areas where cooking odors drifted.

What did you use for the cleaning process to get the odor out of the walls?
I used Castrol concentrated cleaner, and also some really good cleaner in a yellow spray bottle from teh 99c store. It was 3 or 4 bucks a bottle, not 99c.
pinkflamingoes and creampuff know where to get it. The name of it escapes me right now. I gave mine with the trailer to the new owners. They had 3 boys, figured they need a good cleaner....
My 1963 will smell like paint, varnish, glue and new wiring....how does one get rid of that? I guess a good Cuban cigar will be in order.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #17
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Angry Not so fresh AIRstream

Hi Ben,

I was going to replace my curtains but when my rehab budget disappeared I decided to try Fabreeze. I hung all the curtains out on the clothsline and WET both sides. It worked very well and now that smell welcomes me every time I enter the trailer (except when it's been completely closed up and then I smell the black tank more than I want).

First you need to be certain that it's completely dry inside your TT. I've used "Damp Rid" before but if you have a dehumidifier you could run that inside for a week or so and see if it finds any moisture. Also, try taking out the cushions, store them somewhere dry and see if the smell moves with them, or not.

Probably not related to your problem but I've been wondering...Do you think that there is a way to test that the black and gray water tanks are venting properly?

Perhaps one of the AS Funeral Coach owners has a tip or 2 for eliminating odors?

Best of luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Greased Lightning, Odo Ban, and a Good Belly Drop

I've found that Greased Lightning works wonders on the walls with minimal elbow grease. I've also used OdoBan to disinfect/deodorize. The Bounce sheets help as does Fabreeze, although the Fabreeze doesn't seem to last as long as it should.

Definitely cleaning behind everthing (galley, fridge, pantry) is a good idea, and an easy thing to do if you're replacing all the appliances anyway.

Of course, until you've removed the belly pan and banana wrap, you can never really be sure. (Actually, you're probably not a full credentialed old Airstream owner till you've had the pleasure.)

There's no telling what has lived and died under the floor until you've inspected it yourself. It does appear that a squirrel or two has lived in this Sovereign of mine, not to mention countless mice. I have removed all of the nasty insulation (replaced with new R-19 pink) and that's got to make a difference.

You'll never know until you look.......
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I told my buddy who just turned 60 that he's picked up that "old" smell. He was not impressed and I can't figure out why. On a more serious note with our '51 we oiled the wood with a lemon type of oil several times as we were refurbishing the interior and let it soak in. Not only did the wood perk right up and now looks gorgeous, but it has a nice clean homey smell to the trailer. I also added a couple of pieces of cedar to the inside of a couple of cupboards and that has added a distinctive, outdoors/camping aroma to the mix, very light but clears off any background smells. We love it. Barry
Old 07-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Thanks for all of your replies! It sounds like from the general concensus that it's the walls. I really didn't clean them when I got the trailer because they looked clean. I guess I'll give that a try and see what happens. I plan on re-upholstering everything anyway so I'll kill two birds with one stone (who thought that up? was there a lot of bird-stoning going one in mankind's past?).

Ben

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:54 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

i have all the wall carpet off and sitting next to the trailer...i went to fix a dent on the side and picked up a whif of cat pi**
i think i will soak all of it in a large tub with lemon soap and viniger.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi arnaz
i have all the wall carpet off and sitting next to the trailer...i went to fix a dent on the side and picked up a whif of cat pi**
i think i will soak all of it in a large tub with lemon soap and viniger.
If that doesn't work, there is an enzime used by carpet cleaning companies, that eats the urine. It ain't cheap, but it's better than ripping out the floor in your trailer.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Gypsy has a stale "old" odor that I've not been able to get rid of. I am aware of upholstery being a problem. She's 10 years old and the foam and fabric could be part of the source. On the lower walls, we have a kind of carpet material-white. Who else has this and what have you used to clean it. I understand the Future Floor wax for cleaning hard vinyl walls, but what about this fuzzy stuff? The main source, I fear, is our foam backed vinyl ceiling, much of which is loosed from the surface and hanging. Is this old soft-backed vinyl a problem as an odor source? If so, recommendations? I still have not tackled the issue of solving the loose ceiling-just haven't found the courage to screw into the ceiling of the airstream-visions of punching out the top of the trailer-yikes! Anyway, thanks for any responses to my questions! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

I want to try.........

An Ozone generator......It kills mold and bacteria. A hotel worker told me that they use Ozone to clean no smoking rooms that people had smoked in.
There must be a thread on it.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Perhaps one of the AS Funeral Coach owners has a tip or 2 for eliminating odors?
This product has promise~
http://www.nokout.ca/uses.htm
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

this is the wall carpet not the floor carpet...my unit had/has 6 windows out and i think the p/o had it parked in a barn? must of been a barn cat...the floor carpet still has the plastic on it.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi arnaz
this is the wall carpet not the floor carpet...my unit had/has 6 windows out and i think the p/o had it parked in a barn? must of been a barn cat...the floor carpet still has the plastic on it.
Our cleaning people here at Sherry's use a vaccum cleaner on it mostly. If it's really bad, they use a carpet shampooer with a hand-held attachment to clean the walls or ceiling carpet. If there's really bad water stains from a leak, we'll have service fix the leak and then we have a guy come in and "spraypaint" the wall or ceiling carpet (Ozite) to cover the stains. Usually this method produces highly desirable results. You have to do the shampooing or the painting on a nice day when you can totally air out the unit while you are doing it and after you are done. I'm not sure what kind of "paint" he uses to cover the stains...may be just a dye of some sort but it really looks good when he's done.
Good Luck!

Ben

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Uwe's description is the closest I've seen to what we have. It's a combination of cooking odors, propane, and plastic....

What about the rangehood/fan. How do you clean that?
The worst offender in the range/range hood dept in my '72 safari was the range hood filter! It appeared to have never been cleaned in its life. UGH. Ammonia seems to be the best grease cutter - I soaked the filter and wiped down everything greasy with that. We've also changed out the curtains and reupholstered the front sofa, and yet - 'that odor still lingered...

Cleaning would make it go away until we closed the coach up, and it came back. What finally made it go away was when we replaced the old RM60 fridge with a brand new one.

Posted by me elsewhere, earlier in the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms

We've been trying to decide whether to replace the DM 60 fridge in our Safari, or have the cooling unit rebuilt:
1. Cost of a new fridge on the one hand, but on the other hand, the old fridge just smells bad, and no amount of cleaning seems to evict the odors nesting there for 30 years.
2. A new fridge with a control board that could fail within a couple years, vs. that smell.
3. Which model will fit where the old one was with minimum (by which I mean none) renovations to the trailer, vs a known quantity, albeit a bit smelly.
The smell is gone. I am soooo glad we just replaced it.