Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Olympia , Washington
Tell me if I'm crazy

So I've poured over these restoration posts for the last several days, and needless to say I think I'm hooked!

I'm absolutely fascinated with the process of taking these (sometimes) junky old trailers and turning them into something beautiful. With all of these posts being so specific, it seems like an overwhelming task. So I ask: How on EARTH do you do this yourself? There has to be a thousand things that all have to be just right for the end product to be anything resembling serviceable, and while I'm fairly good at following instructions, I'm terrified I'd miss something and ruin everything!

So here's my idea, tell me how realistic you think it is:

I use the next few weeks/months finding a serviceable (at least towable) trailer. I've read that a good frame/skeleton/skin/windows/door is a must, and everything else can be re-worked. I'd probably pay around $5,000 for one that's entirely usable, just needs some updating.

I get that puppy home and rip out what I don't want, which will probably be everything. It all had to go in there, right, so it should all come back out again without a sledge hammer. From what I've read, these pieces are useful to some so I should try and sell them if they are still functional.

This is where the terror begins. Now I have an empty shell and no clue how to get it back together again. So here's my completely novice idea of how I'd do it: First, design my ideal floorplan. Next, price out the big pieces I'd need to buy (sink, water heater, appliances, lighting, fixtures, shower, etc etc). Then I'd identify if there were any repairs I couldn't do myself due to lack of tools/expertise and get quotes for those jobs. Then I'd begin the removal of the old stuff, setting aside things that would be useful in my remodel and things that I could potentially sell. Then I begin to reassemble, using the input of you fantastic forum members as I go, and taking lots of pictures!

So, lets talk resources! While I have very little technical expertise, I am fantastic at following instructions. My dad was a carpenter, so I have some familiarity with basic tools and construction. Hell I might even drag him into this project with me. He always did say we didn't spend enough time together!

So there you have it. Resources... words of wisdom... a slap in the face to wake me up from this pipe-dream.... let me have it! Also, is a $50k budget realistic? I know a lot of things will depend on my own personal taste, but unless I go with the most-expensive-tricked-out-option-available, is it realistic?
Elkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Welcome! Fabulous to hear your enthusiasm. I think your plan is totally doable. But a handful of caveats:

- You'll likely need to do some frame and floor repair. That might not be as fun to work on as the new furnishings. Some folks farm that out to a restorer.

- You probably want to take out the inner skins. Things live (and die and do other things) in the insulation in the walls. That's yucky. More non-fun stuff.

- This can all take a while. I know of folks who had a huge shop and lots of tools and restoration expertise - and it took them 6 months to rebuild a 70s Tradewind. That's definitely on the quick end of things.

- That price is certainly doable if you do a lot of the work yourself. Parts typically can add up to $10k-$15k, and that's not including buying sheet aluminum for body repairs.

- DON'T THROW ANYTHING OUT. Or sell it until you're done. (Even I regret getting rid of the ugly dinette ends that I had replaced - someone else eventually wanted them, in the exact color I had.) You never know when you need that piece of unobtainium to make something work.

- Finally, do you like camping? Always wanted a trailer? I have a good friend who loves the project (boats and cars, in this case), but gets bored when it's all done. If you're going full custom, make sure it's something you want. I'm not one to be a stickler about resale, but it is a factor.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If my budget was $50 K, as you state, I would sure consider buying a new one or one a year or two old. A lot easier, and you can resell it if things don't work out. It takes a huge amount of time to rebuild an old one, especially gutting and starting with a new floor plan.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
If my budget was $50 K, as you state, I would sure consider buying a new one or one a year or two old. A lot easier, and you can resell it if things don't work out. It takes a huge amount of time to rebuild an old one, especially gutting and starting with a new floor plan.

Here's my reasoning on that: I've been inside several of the newer models, and I simply don't like them. I'd end up wanting to customize them anyway, and there's no guarantee I'd be able to get my purchase price back in resale. So I buy an older, used model for around $5k, do my research, and dig in. The time factor is largely irrelevant, as I will soon have a great deal of free time on my hands. In the end, I sincerely hope I don't spend all $50k, but that is my limit. If I end up with a result I'm truly happy with, and I've only spent 20-30k, I'd be ecstatic!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
You may want to take in a vintage airstream rally and visit some old trailers. Then go through some new ones. For me, my 1968 Globetrotter was an easy decision. Less than 10K, and a year and a few months later its restored. When your done you will know every inch of it and feel very secure in your travels. The 20' trailer can park almost anywhere. Whatever skills you lack, you will always have the AirForum to assist you in striving ahead. If you enjoy working with your hands then a vintage is the way to go. Be careful though, Aluminitus is a disease only earned by years of removing old rivets and broken drill bits.
Randy
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We found that doing ours in stages let us get to know the trailer and what sort of spaces we wanted to have in it. We bought one that was not a total wreck inside - dirty and ugly, but serviceable.

We pulled out anything fabric or soft that could hold odors. There had never been rodents so we kept the interior skins on. Then we fixed all of the necessary mechanical parts. Then we started camping in it.

We've changed our plan from what we originally had in mind. Camping in it gives a much better idea of what parts of the layout work for you and which ones don't. You can pull out and change a bit at a time and still enjoy it for camping.

My husband does the mechanical/electrical/plumbing stuff and I do the wood and fabric parts. We have a garage full of tools and are pretty handy in our areas of expertise. For the past two years, we've spent probably at least two weekends each month working on the trailer, and countless hours planning, designing and researching. We've given up social opportunities and hardly ever go out to movies and such. The trailer is our togetherness time. Even with that, we have another couple of years, at a slightly less frantic pace maybe, before we'll be done with the stuff we've had our eyes on since the beginning.

I'd recommend starting with something fairly functional and doing what you need to do as you go along. Once you've gotten a feel for Airstreams and how they camp and how to work on one, then you can decide if you want a project as huge as what you are describing.

I'd hate for you to bite off more than you can chew and get turned off to the lures of aluminum. But only you know your work style. If a clean slate is where you need to start, go for it. Research, research, research.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Go for it!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Of course you're crazy! But, you have a lot of company here.

I say go for it too. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what you're getting yourself into already. Just take it one step at a time, and plan ahead on things like wiring, plumbing, etc. You know, the stuff that's really hard to change once you start building things. You'll learn lots of new skills, and those things you don't want to learn, or are beyond your skills, you can hire out.

A $50k budget should do you very, very well. We've spent about $23k so far, and we pretty much have all the big ticket items purchased. Now to get them all installed...

Good luck! Keep us posted, and post lots of pics.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
A $50k budget should do you very, very well. We've spent about $23k so far, and we pretty much have all the big ticket items purchased. Now to get them all installed...

Can you give me an idea of the direction you're taking yours, and what you purchased/from where? Like they say, there's no need to re-invent the wheel if you don't have to.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I would look at a bunch of them, so you get a feel for the floor plans and what you want. You also get a feel for what you get for the money. I think that it is best to spend more money for a solid trailer that has been well cared for. The most important thing is to buy what you really want. After all is said and done, you don't want to get your trailer completed and then say, gosh I have a 67 Globetrotter and I redid it my way, but I really wish that I had a 72 Tradewind. I would go to all the rallys that you can so you can look at a variety of vintage trailers and can talk to the owners. It may take 6 months to a year to find the right trailer and then you can start your restoration work. All the looking and education will be time well spent and you won't be sorry.

I bought a 31' 1984 Excella about 10 years ago. I realized that it was too big for the camping that we like to do. I stumbled across a 1966 Tradewind that was in real nice shape about 2 years ago. I bought it immediately because it was the right size, I liked the layout, it had real wood cabinets, neat curved windows and was in excellent condition. The PO had polished it, installed a new water heater, a new awning and redid all the fluff stuff on the inside. I have since redone the electrical, the plumbing, replaced the fridge and am getting ready to replace the floor covering with either cork or marmaloneum. After that will be new axles and brakes, probably discs. I don't think that I will have more than 15k in the trailer when it is completed. When it is finished it will be as good or better in some respects than a new trailer. It will be better because it will have disc brakes, all LED lights, 4 6v golf cart batteries and a 1,500 watt inverter. I will probably install solar also, since I like to boondock at music festivals.

Sounds like you have the right attitude. Get ready for a fun ride. Your life will not be the same again, and that is a good thing. Good luck.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Welcome to aluminitis, an uncurable disease, and this group of terminally infected nuts! At least we are friendly and helpful nuts...

Previous posts recommending attendance at vintage rallies are absolutely correct. Tour the trailers, talk to owners (always ready to expound on how they did anything or would do things differently next time), check out the layouts for the best for you.

For example, us older folks generally get up in the night for the necessary while younger folks do not. This can make a difference in the way you view a bed clear across the end of the trailer. If you are older, this means someone will have to crawl over the other (and probably wake him up) once or twice a night. We are changing the layout of our 55 FC to remove the bed across the back and instead move a small dresser across the trailer to allow us to have L-shaped twin beds in the back. Thus we can each get up without disturbing the other.

Some preferences cannot be known until you actually do some camping, but I would suggest a larger (26'? 28'?) trailer rather than a tiny one to start with. You can always take less stuff, but it gets hard to get more into a tiny one if you decide you want to stay out longer, take more grilling equipment, etc. Just my take on it, probably lots will disagree! And if you are a confirmed single, disregard all of the above!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
You are getting excellent advice! 50K sounds like a huuuuge budget to me if you are not hiring out the work! You are in for many many many hours of fun.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhart View Post
Can you give me an idea of the direction you're taking yours, and what you purchased/from where? Like they say, there's no need to re-invent the wheel if you don't have to.
Probably the best way to see where we're going to read our thread if you haven't already: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...urb-50967.html. In posts 289 and 292 I posted the plan drawings we've been working from.

In general, we're keeping the original floor plan (rear bath), but we did move the tub/shower and vanity from their original locations, and are building a full size bed instead of having two twin beds in the middle of the trailer. The last kinda big interior change is we eliminated the original wardrobes that were between the beds and the bath, which allows us to move the bed aft and extend the galley by 18 inches or so. The last big change we made is we added gray water tanks. Being a pre-1974 trailer, she didn't have gray water tanks originally.

It's been a fun 3 years so far. We figure we have 2 more years to go before we're completely done. Goal for this year is to have her road ready by the end of the summer.

Chris
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Probably the best way to see where we're going to read our thread if you haven't already: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...urb-50967.html. In posts 289 and 292 I posted the plan drawings we've been working from.

In general, we're keeping the original floor plan (rear bath), but we did move the tub/shower and vanity from their original locations, and are building a full size bed instead of having two twin beds in the middle of the trailer. The last kinda big interior change is we eliminated the original wardrobes that were between the beds and the bath, which allows us to move the bed aft and extend the galley by 18 inches or so. The last big change we made is we added gray water tanks. Being a pre-1974 trailer, she didn't have gray water tanks originally.

It's been a fun 3 years so far. We figure we have 2 more years to go before we're completely done. Goal for this year is to have her road ready by the end of the summer.

Chris
I started reading through your restoration thread and I have to say it was very impressive! How on earth did you know exactly what needed to be done for each step? You sounded like you do this sort of thing all the time

I personally wouldn't have known ANY of those fixes if someone hadn't straight up told me exactly what to do. I can follow instructions with the best of them, but something tells me there isn't a "Remodel your Airstream in 2437 Steps!" workbook out there anywhere.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Just keep in mind that unless it is a faithful restoration, an investment as large as yours might not be worth much to someone else. I myself would not buy some one else's project... especially if they described their process as you just have. Because I would likely end up ripping out everything and starting over.

I'm not saying your quest isn't just, and probably a lot of fun too, but be careful if you are going to measure the success of the project by what it is worth (cash value) in the end. Build it because you are going to GET something out of it other than money.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhart View Post
I started reading through your restoration thread and I have to say it was very impressive! How on earth did you know exactly what needed to be done for each step? You sounded like you do this sort of thing all the time

I personally wouldn't have known ANY of those fixes if someone hadn't straight up told me exactly what to do. I can follow instructions with the best of them, but something tells me there isn't a "Remodel your Airstream in 2437 Steps!" workbook out there anywhere.
Thanks!

Hard to say where it all comes from I guess. Many years of remodeling our house room by room, including structure, plumbing, electrical, drywall, trim, cabinets, etc. etc. I've built quite a bit of furniture over the years too. Rebuilt engines, done some body work, built decks, porches, ponds, paver driveways - the list is quite long. Having a dad and father-in-law teach me skills helped too. I'm a computer engineer by trade (learned that in the Navy), although I work with mainframes and large networks, so no, I cannot fix your PC, laptop, or tablet. Heading off the eventual questions there...

Plus, I have a wonderful wife who is an accomplished sewer and quilter, and she's right there next to me working on all this stuff. Between the two of us, we seem to have pretty much everything covered.

Add to that reading and reading and reading the restoration threads posted by the wonderful people on these forums who are more than willing to share their knowledge and answer questions, and its not really as hard as you might think. There are many people here who I admire and could never hope to acheive the same quality of work.

It's all tedious and time consuming certainly, but fun and well worth it in the end.

Now for a secret - for the most part, stupid mistakes are not posted! If you can't dazzle 'em with knowledge, baffle 'em with bs...

Chris
Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Another option for $55K ($5K Purchase + $50K Resto) would be to buy one already restored or at least with all the hard stuff done for around $15-20K+ (check the classifieds) and just take on or re-do the fun stuff to your taste.

Lot's of options with your budget...we bought ours for $5K then but about $18-20K into it all DIY. Our current trailer has been appraised & is insured at WAY MORE than our investment...we did start off with a newer, smaller one in better shape the first time around. But when we started out, we were in the same boat as you - total novices.

Just break it up into smaller projects and go for it! Ask lots of questions, get to a vintage rally and read all the major restoration threads you can get your hands on.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Sounds like you are getting ready to check off on one item within your bucket list. As you see from the responses the variety of Airstream coaches that many have worked on. Length, year and floor plan.
Post 1974, all Airstreams included a grey tank. However, with 50K, you easily can have one installed prior to 1974.
I looked for the history of the coach itself. The legacy you can continue by becoming the owner, if you can capture that history through the WBCCI number.
We were handed a great deal with the 1972 LY International back in 1995. Third owners. Not the most desirable coach by some due to its history with Beatrice and of course the long length. I will argue with today's accommodations at RV parks we are well past the 1970 mindset. And the coach by the way was taken care of by the PO, so we lucked out.
We've put about $28K into it over time to include a 35 gallon grey tank, new leather U-shape dinette, replaced panels (3), three vista windows, new axles, floor, bath HW, electric waste, and on and on. So for under $30K we have an Airstream that weighs only 5600#, but has all the toys. Next year we will take a trip to P & S, drop it off to get the outside redone, at a not cheap price, but done right and be under $35K with a new Airstream, in my books.
The cost comes with the tow vehicles as we are on our fourth (4) and at $50K ea, do the math, the Airstream is still what we own after almost 20 years.

Some may think that is foolish with the money invested, or spent, but we've seen America twice, to include 90% of the National Parks, park it at the Beach April-August, the mountains Aug-Oct and then winterize it, if we don't plan on going south when time permits.
So, your dream is there. It can be bought with a new one saving allot of stress and aggravation, but will that fulfill what you are looking for to include that precious time with your Dad?

Life is short, live it to its fullest and continue the legacy of a good used Airstream that is looking for the adventure it was built for. The new ones need a start as well, as that is always an option, but based on our experience, I'd buy used all over again.

Good luck with you purchase, remodel and dream.

Happy Airstreaming.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Hey - not crazy at all!! I wanted to do what you're thinking about but the hubby about had kittens just thinking about it! We both work and have crazy careers and have no place at our house to work on a project like that ... not to mention we don't have the proper tools and probably are lacking some of the skillsets as well The hubby wanted to buy new but I really didn't like the new interiors that much (not to mention the prices) so we compromised. We bought a 20 year old AS in fabulous condition -- we camped in it the first day we picked it up! After fixing a few necessary things we started thinking about modifications and after camping in it a bit and doing some research we found a guy near us and our project started! Right now, we're getting close to being done - we've been doing it in stages as we can afford it and also working in between camping trips. We'll be well under your overall budget when we're completely done and it's gonna be a little showpiece!!

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Life is shirt! We are having a wonderful time with ours!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote