Old 04-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #1

Brooklyn , New York
Take my bathroom - please!

I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm off on the protocol. I have a 1965 Tradewind in okay to bad shape. I want to gut it (I know, I know-sacrilege!) and do something funky with the interior. The bathroom fixtures (toilet, shower, sink) all seem to be in pretty good shape but I just want them to go away! I'd be happy to give them to someone who wants to come and remove them. A trade for some windows might be nice, but I don't want any money. The airstream is located two and a half hours north of NYC.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatestores
I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm off on the protocol. I have a 1965 Tradewind in okay to bad shape. I want to gut it (I know, I know-sacrilege!) and do something funky with the interior. The bathroom fixtures (toilet, shower, sink) all seem to be in pretty good shape but I just want them to go away! I'd be happy to give them to someone who wants to come and remove them. A trade for some windows might be nice, but I don't want any money. The airstream is located two and a half hours north of NYC.
The rear bath in your and many AS were the first thing to be installed when built. Depending upon the care you 'gut' it... it will have to be the last thing to remove.
Neil.

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #3

Brooklyn , New York
Good to know--thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm not a restorer, but

I'd think long and hard before throwing away stuff in your Airstream. You may want to relocate your bath or eliminate it entirely. One simple piece of advice - don't.

Eliminating a bathroom is probably the number one way to lower the value of your RV. Moving one can be done, you'll end up doing a frame off renovation, and replacing every inch of pipe and wiring in your unit, have custom black and gray water tanks built, etc, etc, etc.

If you just want a new toilet and sink, fine, put those in, but do know that they don't make the "bathtub/shower pans" that fit your rear bath model any more.

Most people will say.... get one with the layout you like and refine that.

Paula
Old 04-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatestores
Do you ever plan on selling it? if so I would carefully consider what you want to do. All of us want to make our AS our own but changing its basic design is not good for its value.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I've given this a lot of thought and while you may add your on touch ,the "basic layout" of most all Airstreams are well thought out and are seldom if ever improved on by owners. Remember, I didn't say never... and Michelle is right you want to carefully consider eliminating any of the basic systems because it will most definitely lower the value.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #7

Brooklyn , New York
Yeah, I'm sure what we want to do will ultimately lower the value. We've spent a couple of years thinking about trying to restore it, but that's not happening, so we're going to go the opposite, and I know wrong, to some, way and gut it and do something completely different. It's pretty trashed as it is. I'd hoped to give away the bathroom fixtures to a good home, but nobody seems intersted...
Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you have room to store the bathroom pieces away, people do occasionally pop up looking for those parts, and if you're lucky enough to have someone nearby who wants them, you can probably make some money on them, but finding the right buyer might take a little time. Those bathroom parts are impossible to find, and someone who needs them down the line would be pretty lucky to find yours.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
- some of the "alt" re-do's are great, hope yours is too!

- try to learn as much as you can about WHY certain design issues exist. for example: the bizarre gray water "loop" in the plumbing, etc, since in your redesign you may want to avoid certain problems that could occur if you eliminate an original design...hope that's clear ;-) what I'm saying is certain things in an Airstream that don't APPEAR to make sense actually DO.. good luck!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 31' Sovereign
1962 26' Overlander
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Schwenksville , Pennsylvania
I'm looking for an entire bathroom. I have a 74 31ft. I baught it w/ no bathroom. Please let me know if you still have anything left. Thank you, Kevin Shearer
Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 31' Sovereign
1962 26' Overlander
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Schwenksville , Pennsylvania
I Need anything you have. I baught a 74 31ft w/ no shower, vanity, Etc... Please help. I can come this week to pick them up. Please call me or e-mail. Thank you , Kevin Shearer 610-587-3252 or 610-287-6369