Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #1

1964 22' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Table solution

I am looking to replace the table in my '64 Safari with a smaller table that is hinged to the wall under the front window so I can fold it down when it's not being used. Any suggestions on table designs or hinges that have worked well?
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Table options

Hello,

Our sweet little Bambi is a '63 and we have a stand alone folding table that is just right for two. It folds up (sort of like a ironing board) and stores in the closet taking up very little room. You may want to research one of those and see if you can purchase one, would be the easiest solution.

However, in our sweet Bambi putting the table up and down means no room to walk from back to front, so I asked hubby to fashion a table just big enough for my laptop and perhaps a cocktail or cup of coffee. It isn't very big but works well for one person even to eat. It can raise up and down at various levels and rotates 360 with a "stop" to lock it in place. Stands on a single pole. Plans are for making a second table similar in size. I will find a picture to include.

You might also look at the early 60's Caravel's... they had a table that attached to the side and had a nice little storage area for it. Much of what would work for you depends on the layout of your Safari.

What in particular were you thinking about? You might also get some ideas from the thread on "open house" (can't exactly remember the name, sorry...) where folks post pics of the interior of their Airstreams.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi new small table pic for forum.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	85711  
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #3

1964 22' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks for your post. I'll try to send pics of my trailer to give you a better idea of what I want to do. The original table was a warped, wobbly thing with leaves. I've removed it and would like to replace it with something similar to your laptop/coffee/cocktail table. I'm envisioning something that folds into the wall under the front window when not in use. This would allow more room in between the two bench seats. I've been looking at Rockler.com for hinges that could attach to the wall and underside of a table surface, i'm thinking a thin sheet of aluminum or other. However, I haven't seen any examples that I can replicate. I have a feeling they are out there, I just need to see a pic or two to set me off in the right direction. I appreciate your suggestion of the "open house" thread. I'll go there.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Folding table.

Hi, these three pictures show my folding table, during my remodel, and it is the original table that I moved from the street side to the front of my trailer. If you like this type of table, maybe you can find a good used one.

(1.) Closed.

(2.) Open / half size.

(3.) Open full size.

(4.) Finished remodel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306 (Large).JPG
Views:	141
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	85788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0307 (Large).JPG
Views:	136