Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
suppose this will work: aluminum paint

We drive the new to us/old airstream home tomorrow. The first thing that i want to fix is the pitted corrosion around the windows inside. on our last reno in 2004, i polished until my knuckles bled and finally realized that i was just making the pits stand out by dragging corrosion into them. Now I know more about metal and repair from the years on a boat. I have used metal epoxy successfully.

What if i scratch up the framing around the inside windows, level the pits out with metal filler and touch it up with aluminum paint after applying the right primer? I really like doing all the detail stuff and these pitted frames really bother me.

Has anyone else tried aluminum paint inside?

we will have many more questions as we clean "Dewdrop" up. this time we are just doing a clean up and not a complete rebuild as we did before. This Airstream is well preserved and like stepping back to 1973, the year we were married.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Not sure about aluminum paint, but what I have done to spruce up the screens on the inside and give a more modern feel is to spray them with auto primer after I sand them down smooth (dont need to bring them down to bare metal) and then spray them lightly with some cold galvanizing spray paint and then follow that up with clear enamel overcoat. The result is a somewhat sparkly finish that resembles aluminum out of a sandblast cabinet that has been clear coated. I like the finish, it should hold up well and is fairly easy to do. Here are some pix of the finished screens:

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Grab some vino and settle down...

This entire thread is a lesson on corrosion repair...

How I fixed the battery door surrounds....

How I fixed the door hinges.....

Bob
Old 09-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I just painted my window screen frames this last weekend with aluminum paint. I tried polishing (many hours), and because of pitting, they never got better than looking like crap. Finally I gave up and sanded them down, sprayed Rustoleum aluminum paint on them and a couple of coats of clear. They look OK. The wife complained "they look like they're painted". Well...yea they do.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
That sounds just like what I was thinking of. The cold galv is a good idea too. We used that to coat anchor chain.
We got the unit home today and need to level the gravel more. We have concerns about adjusting the hitch but I will post that appropriately.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I used hammered aluminum rustoleum spray paint on our kitchen screen. Looks great! Now I'm contemplating redoing them all that way..... It's all in the look you want.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote